TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Ron Toomer has Passed Away

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.legacy.com/ns/obitfinder/obituary-search.aspx?daterange=Last24Hrs&firstname=ronald&lastname=toomer&keyword=valentine&countryid=0&stateid=all&affiliateid=all

If you type in Ronald Toomer with Valentine in the keyword area, an 81 year old from Bedford, Texas passed away today. Did Ron Toomer (from Arrow) live in Bedford Texas?

Nobody knows for certain as Arrow was based in Clearfield Utah,which is where I imagine Toomer would've spent most of his time following his retirement.I wonder if any of the trade publications would have any info on this?

http://www.legacy.com/ns/obitfinder/obituary-search.aspx?daterange=Last24Hrs&firstname=ronald&lastname=toomer&keyword=valentine&countryid=0&stateid=all&affiliateid=all

If you type in Ronald Toomer with Valentine in the keyword area, an 81 year old from Bedford, Texas passed away today. Did Ron Toomer (from Arrow) live in Bedford Texas?

Nobody knows for certain as Arrow was based in Clearfield Utah,which is where I imagine Toomer would've spent most of his time following his retirement.I wonder if any of the trade publications would have any info on this?

According to the book I have titled Ripley's Legends: Pioneers of the Amusement Park Industry there is a section all on Ron Toomer. At the end of the 25 page section on him, it says: "Following 20 years in Utah, Ron and Betty moved to the Dallas-Ft.Worth area of Texas in 2004 where they plan to spend their retirement years."

There you have it!

Although enthusiasts often complain about how Arrow coasters don't age very well, Ron Toomer's work was innovative and important--Arrow was a pioneer in the field. My condolences to the Toomer family.

Edited by cfc

I've updated the original post on Pg. 1 with the article from Amusement Today.

Too bad we've thrown out all of our wire coat hangers, I would of hung one up in his memory. (I probably wouldn't had, but still)

As sad as this news is, upon reading it, all I could do was glance over at all the plastic hangers in my closet. Rest in Peace Mr. Toomer. Your creation made me smile.

It truly is a sad day and we need to be thankful for what he and Arrow created. Unfortunately it's also sad that a lot of his creations have also disappeared or have begun disappearing from the landscape.

So true as many of us got our start in riding steel coasters that were more than likely the creation of Ron's handywork long before the days of Intamin,Vekoma & B&M's mass produced rides.

Toomer saw many trends in the industry during his career,from the early development of the SF & Taft parks with their wide selection of family & thrill coasters to the latest round of the coaster evolution in height & speed that he helped usher in over 20 years ago...he was a true pioneer & will be sorely missed.

I've updated the original post on Pg. 1 with the article from Amusement Today.

Too bad we've thrown out all of our wire coat hangers, I would of hung one up in his memory. (I probably wouldn't had, but still)

I still have a few, I will mold one later into a Magnum lift hill in his honor.

As said, many of the Arrow rides are not looked favorably upon now but in their time, no one pushed the envelope farther or faster than they did. He was a huge part of paving the way for where we are now and HUGE contributor to the Golden Age of Coasters we experienced from the 80's to late 2000s.

RIP Mr. Toomer. I will go ride Magnum at least 8.1 times next time I am there.

Without being exaggerate in any way. Ron ...

Started the inversion wars

Started the coaster wars

Oversaw the development of the suspended coaster (which later progressed into one of the most popular ... inverted)

His contributions to roller coasters is rivaled only to John Miller.

He will be missed and most importantly ... remembered.

R.I.P. Ron Toomer.

While he may no longer be with us, I'm certain that his many rides will continue to thrill people for a long time. It's partially thanks to him and Arrow that the coaster world of today is full of crazy, 7+ inversion, 200ft+ tall, inverted, steel roller coasters! He will definitely be missed, but he will be always be remembered, especially by us coaster enthusiasts who have ridden his rides.

I've been a member of TPR for a couple years and have never posted anything. I've enjoyed reading others' posts and have some very memorable times at some fabulous events. But after reading this sad news, I can't remain silent any longer. I don't think anyone of us can truly comprehend the loss of this great man. Not only was he a great engineer and designer of some of the most innovative rides in the history of amusements; he was also a kind and considerate human being. Back during the late 1980s and early 90s before the internet and cell phones were commonplace; I saw Ron Toomer on a rollercoaster special on TV. I was riveted to the television and couldn't turn away. I decided that I would write a letter (yes, write a letter) to Arrow Dynamics to see if I could contact him just to see if I could get to know this guy. At the time I thought how exciting it would be to correspond with the guy who instigated and created some of the most thrilling rides of my life. Of course, I didn't think I would hear from him. He was just on television and is obviously a very busy man. He wouldn't have time to talk to some random "amusement park groupie". Less then a week after I sent the letter I received a letter and packet from Ron (yes, he said I could call him Ron) that contained drawings, schematics and brochures of current rides as well as future projects that were still on the drawing board. I was in amusement park heaven. You can only imagine what it felt like to not only get a response, but a personal response from him. We continued to correspond with one another for a few months and I enjoyed reading his wonderful letters. I still have them after all these years. Not only was this man a 'thrill genius' he was also a kind and gentle soul who will be greatly missed by all who knew him. Especially me. Rest in peace my good friend. Hands-up!

Probably the greatest influence of my coaster enthusiasm as a teen and young adult. Is there an actual running list of all the coasters he designed? There were so many, and I've probably ridden every one in the USA.

http://rcdb.com/r.htm?ot=2&pe=6839

According to rcdb, only 10, but I am not sure how accurate that is.

I don't think that's accurate. He designed more than 10 coasters.

After watching America's Greatest Coaster Thrills in 3D or whatever the proper name was, I was too young to even remember, this is devastating. I'm happy that he survived this long to see just where the industry would wind up thanks to some of his creations such as the corkscrew and the modern hyper. These designs are still very relative today and continue to dominate park skylines. In addition, I never knew of his other achievements which prove just how brilliant this man was. Ron, God bless you and thank you for bringing joy to this world that will continue down the road for generations.