TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Favorite Standalone Haunts?

My new favorite is The Dent Schoolhouse in Cincinnati.

http://www.frightsite.com/

I just moved to the area, so I had never heard of it and didn't know what to expect. I was extremely impressed by the amount of detail put into everything. The haunt is inside an old schoolhouse (built in the 1800s) and is themed around the story of a janitor that abducted and murdered students and kept the bodies in the basement in the 1940s-1950s. All of the costumes, props, and themed rooms go along with the story and everything makes sense (no going from witches, to clowns, to zombies, to aliens, etc.). There is a nurses office, an art room, a biology room, a locker room, a cafeteria, a playground, an auto shop, a library, a school carnival (had to fit clowns in somehow), and more. I felt like I was in a horror film. I am going to go back again in a couple of weeks, just so I can take in some more of the detail.

There is an hour long video on youtube about it that is pretty interesting.

297382_10150417072389203_10217514202_10527772_1984403893_n1.jpeg.95ef4142584f2187ec0e4aa9a43f364c.jpeg

6917718924_ea6e604421.jpeg.49ea55e0796dd42953bcade95446f3c2.jpeg

6917750494_88300aa73e.jpeg.2138b8eab6970d68267cd6fd5f763663.jpeg

7063803781_fb75a39f11.jpeg.81deee9e3c4c927e157029ffebd23957.jpeg

7063813429_84c480d82a_b.thumb.jpeg.3e37823a88992d113ac7281e06ecb1b5.jpeg

7063844327_3f25c4fe82.jpeg.f28849841ff4c80598768687cf4214db.jpeg

l-1.jpeg.d282aba90cbb04f17c6fef918212dd6e.jpeg

l.jpeg.b91262f928b14854cc4faee3e9dc7614.jpeg

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Chicagoland area has a few good haunts. I have visited a few during my years, however, Statesville Haunted House, near Joliet, is one of the better haunted houses. The house is loosely themed off the actual Statesville Corrections Center (site of John Wayne Gacy's execution) located near Statesville Haunted House.

http://www.statesvillehauntedprison.com/

My favorite one is a new one in Maryland, called The Warehouse. It's new for this year, and it's the first maze by this group, Hallow Inc. Also, my friend and I were the first two public visitors to the haunt ever this past friday. It's well put together for an Indie group, and I hope it comes back for many years to come!

All photos are from the haunt's website.

• 3 weeks later...

I literally live down the street from Field of Screams (i walked there in about 5 minutes a few weeks ago). It's a good haunt that gets crazy crowded this time of year. Do youself a favor and spend the extra $10-$15 on the V.I.P. access if you are coming from far away.

But I do recommend it.

Okay, perhaps I am a little biased here. Okay, a lot. One of my favorite stand alone haunts is the one that I've been doing for many years now, Higgins Manor. Where we lack in budget for eye candy and such, we more than make up with in the quality of actors and scare opportunities. I've been scared in my own maze, for what that's worth.

And while I am not usually one to toot my own horn, I felt I'd post about my haunt here for one main reason:

Higgins Manor will be donating 100% of our 2012 donations to Modjeska Ranch Rescue, a local animal rescue organization to help buy food, blankets and other pet supplies for senior and special needs animals.

It's a charity that means a lot to me and I'd like to do as much as possible for them. If you're interested, here is more info below:

Pictures from past years:

• 2 weeks later...

I went to Night Terrors her in Jacksonville last Friday night and it was fantastic, I haven't been to very many stand alone haunts (or non HHN haunts for that matter) but this was easily one of the best I've ever been to. The atmosphere was great, the actors really put a lot of effort into their scares, and there was a nice mixture of live actors and animatronics. Overall a very well done haunt that I would highly recommend to anyone in the area.

• 3 months later...

Are there any haunted houses out there open outside of the haunting season? I know here in Utah, Castle Of Chaos is open for "Spring Scream" in April, a Christmas charity event in December, and every Friday the 13th weekend. I know a few others here in Utah are open around these times, but do any other haunts open outside of September and October?

Factory of Terror in Canton Ohio opens random times throughout the year for lights out & full contact events. We (Ghoul Mansion in Sharon Pa) opened the year before last for mid year fear but weren't able to do it last year, I'm not sure if it will be back yet.

Several haunts open for Christmas two that I know of were Sinister Point in California and Haunted Hills Estate in Uniontown Pa.

You can also find some other haunts that open as haunt conventions come into town. This year there is the Darkness in St Louis which will open for Transworld in March. Also several Dallas haunts will open for HauntCon in May.

I know Blackout has a Spring event on sale now in NYC through their Facebook.

And speaking of Blackout, the LA version last year wasn't nearly as bad as I was expecting (or hoping?) for it to be. I'll definitely try to do it again this year, but maybe on a discounted night haha.

I went to see Delusion last November. It was a haunt in a mansion at a neighborhood in downtown LA. What a blast that was! It was basically a haunted play that went on with your group of ten. You explored the house at the performers' pace and they would have you participate in the story for what was going on. (Having you take the keys from grandma, finding the lost journal, etc.) I'll be doing it again next year.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

538014_465006383568231_1466909988_n.jpg.210b75ce06c0b1890cf033dc1349d53f.jpg

Are you ready to brave the hallways of Massacre Haunted House this yr??

http://www.FearTheMassacre.com

Massacre Haunted House

3440 Odyssey Ct

Naperville, Illinois 60563

The Massacre Haunted House was voted the #1 Scariest Haunted House in Illinois in 2012 on http://www.Hauntworld.com, http://www.FindHauntedHouses.com and http://www.HauntedHouseOnline.com!

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to let any TPR Member that lives in IL,WI or IN, that I have $12 OFF COUPON FLYERS for groups of 4 or more for MASSACRE HAUNTED HOUSE & FEAR FACTORY 3D. 2 Haunts / 1 Location! Let me know if anyone would like some mailed or meet up.

For the Boston area, it's probably Spookyworld, which is now up in New Hampshire. They have a ton of mazes, though honestly, none of them seem terribly world class.

I've been to two haunted houses in New York City: Blood Manor and Nightmare. Both of them supposedly use world-class broadway costumers and makeup people. Blood Manor was pretty good, but I have been really impressed with Nightmare on the years I've visited. Every year, they come up with a theme, then ask their fans to submit real nightmares they've had about that theme. They incorporate the best into their house. What I like most about it is that they really build an air of creepiness better than I've seen elsewhere. it's more about a building sense of dread and terror, rather than gore or just cheap scares. Kind of like the difference between Paranormal Activity and Friday the 13th.

Well I live in Louisville, KY and we have a place here called The Haunted hotel which is probably my favorite, the actors there are just phenomenal. But if you are looking for a "haunt park" The best place to go is Field of Screams, which is down by otter creek just past west point KY. They have 3 different thing with the main attraction, the corn maze, the hunted barn, and the WTF Forest lol. Then there is the second attraction which is the Hayride to Hell which basicly take you on a haunted hayride, its defiantly worth picking up combo tix if you go Whats cool is they change the mazes design each year to cool stuff like this

rsz_fospct202013pct20high.jpg.cdf60d417fb9958093805b13daa5d1af.jpg

rsz_fieldpct20picpct202012.jpg.5e5955141dc92ccc81eb27f2da820fb7.jpg

So yeah Best Stand alone : The Haunted Hotel Best "Haunt Park" : Field of Screams

Link to The Haunted Hotel Link to Field of Screams

I remember that the "Scream in the Dark" haunts that the Campus Life Christian group at Modesto Junrior College (California) were pretty good, back when I was in high school. They definitely weren't afraid to get in your face and use a fair amount of gore.

One year, they took over an old Catholic church, which was scheduled to be demolished because the congregation had moved to a new sanctuary. It was a gothic pile made of stone (unusual for Modesto), and Campus Life had carte blanche to do whatever they wanted with the church and fellowship hall (this was a huge old building). You had to wait a good two hours in line, and it took about 30 to 40 minutes to walk through the whole haunt, which had just about every monster you could think of in it.

My favorite was the Creature from the Black Lagoon room. They turned part of the church basement into a fog-filled swamp, complete with tropical trees and a rail-less footbridge that the everybody had to cross. The Creature would reach up out of the fog and grab people by the ankles. Fun stuff!

Pierce Community college in Los Angeles actually has a really good "Fright Fair". They specialize in agricultural studies so at the back of the college campus there is a farm they use to throw this event.

I went to it last year and they had three walkthrough haunted attractions, one of them outdoors in a corn maze. They also had a pretty big normal corn maze as well as a bunch of craft and food booths, live music, a petting zoo and a few kiddie rides (no coasters though).

For a community college in San Fernando Valley it really impressed me. One of their haunted houses had this room that so completely disoriented me that I had no idea where to walk or where even my own hands were. I had to close my eyes and just feel along the wall until I found the door out. The room was painted in a black and white warped geometrical pattern similar to Dazzle Camouflage and was also filled to the brim with fog and lit by a strobe. The scare actors in that room were made up in checkered black and white as well. EVERYTHING looked as though it were moving and I couldn't even get my eyes to focus after a while.