TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

You Might Be A Coaster Nerd If....

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You might be a coaster nerd if:

--You keep park maps and brochures from parks you've never been to.

--You’ve ever been filling out a survey, and when it asks you to list your hobbies, you have a hard time thinking of something besides “riding roller coasters” and “surfing the web” (which always involves coasters).

You might be a coaster nerd if you actually own a piece of a roller coaster - in my case a leftover extra piece of the fiberglass body of one of the trains from Goliath at SFMM; I got it when I worked for a company that was called in to do some repair work on the trains. The piece was a sample that was provided to my company by the train manufacturer to test paint finishes on, and it sits displayed proudly on a shelf in my garage today.

You might also be a coaster nerd if, when you hear someone mention a town, city or part of the country or world, you remark "Oh, I know where that is, that's near (fill in the name of park here)." So your sense of geography is defined by where various parks are located.

You might also be a coaster nerd if you happen to hear a song and think to yourself that that would be an awesome tune to use as the score to an on-ride video or that the song simply makes you think of a coaster due to certain words or phrases, even though said song has nothing to do with coasters.

• 4 weeks later...

You might also be a coaster nerd if, when you hear someone mention a town, city or part of the country or world, you remark "Oh, I know where that is, that's near (fill in the name of park here)." So your sense of geography is defined by where various parks are located.

I'm 100% guilty of this, but it usually impresses people that I know about their local park (since I'll usually mention it offhand at some point) if they're from a different part of the country/another country.

I'm 100% guilty of this, but it usually impresses people that I know about their local park (since I'll usually mention it offhand at some point) if they're from a different part of the country/another country.

Same here. Like whenever someone says, "I'm from California!" I would ask, "Where?" Then they would say, "I'm from (Fill in the Blank)!" And I'd be like OH YEAH! That is near (fill in the blank) or have you been to (fill in the blank(most likely Disneyland))

... when the name Sandusky was mentioned in the news recently regarding the Penn State scandal, you kept thinking about Cedar Point.

...(variant/specification on the "recognizing the coaster in a textbook") you spend an hour on rcdb trying to see which Arrow clone it is.

... when people say "SoB" you keep thinking Son of Beast.

...when people talk about Desert Storm and when General Schwarzkopf's name is mentioned, you think about another person who shares that name.

...when someone utters the words "Final Destination 3" steam starts flowing out your ears and you start chewing your tongue into a bloody puree.

...when you look at the clock and see that it's 4:56, you think Kingda Ka, because it's 456 feet high.

...when you refer to a tally of anything as a track record by habit

Let's see my count:

Guilty: 42

I can see myself doing: 19

Used to do, but not anymore: 2

You might be a coaster nerd if you have a signature similar to mine.

Haha, I am all about having a coaster-nerdy sig. For example, currently I'm featuring: wood top 10, steel top 10, links to my two favorite counting site profiles, and Club TPR banner with fully accurate count based on my personal methods (since CoasterCounter is the only site where mine is exactly right; even my CoasterCount count is off a little).

I know no one "really" cares about this stuff, and it's entirely possible few people care at all, but I like the opportunity to share it publicly for those who may be interested. More fun than just keeping it in my brain.

You might be a coaster nerd if....

When you come across a photo of a Rollercoaster in a textbook you automatically know what coaster it is and where it is (was) located.

I didn't even need a photo for this one:

A roller coaster in New Jersey measures 456 feet. A roller coaster in Ohio is 36 feet shorter. Set up an equation, and find the height of the roller coaster in Ohio.

The variables I used were k and t

...If you invent new thrill rides in your spare time.

When people say they're going to a certain country/state you become green with envy because of a nearby awesome park that you wish you could go to.

GUILTY!! It's seemed to happen a lot to me lately... someone will say, "I'm going on a trip to _____" and I'm jealous because there are parks nearby that I've never been to.

If you planned a roller coaster road trip that stops at every major park around the US.

GUILTY!!! For my senior trip after graduating high school I could choose to go basically anywhere I wanted (time spent there adjusted based on overall price) and I chose to do a 24-day road trip loop across the U.S. so I could visit several parks I've wanted to go to. We chose our route with amusement parks nearby being the #1 factor and historic/natural/famous landmarks as #2.

You might be a coaster nerd if....

....You see license plates or other random combinations of letters and see coaster-related acronyms, i.e. RCT. I kept seeing this one license plate in town with a license plate with "JMA" and I always thought of CGA.

• 2 weeks later...

...if when planning a vacation, the most important thing to you is what parks/coasters you can hit up within a reasonable proximity to your ACTUAL destination...

...if you name a pet after a roller coaster (yeah, we have... we named our cat Gwazi...)

Edited by Maximo37