TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Portable Coasters

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From the TR posted recently, Typhoon at the LA County Fair sounds awesome.

But seriously, I've only been on one 'true' portable coaster - a spinning mouse at the SD Fair, and, honestly, it was pretty kick ass!

Thriller and Olympia Looping - PERIOD!

And they're both far better than the double-loop.

Thriller puts the most punch into the first two loops were loop one goes directly into loop two - and the loops were stacked behind each other in the meaning that when you stand in front of it you see one loop behind the other - amazing 6+ Gs in the compression there. I've read that some US jerks "modified" it due to "extreme" Gs - well: Idiots! This would still be the best without the "modifications"!

Olympia Looping is the best today. After the first loop it picks up speed through a curve with declining radius - highest Gs here - and then comes the first double-loop, shortly followed by a second double-loop. For me - and even after SFMM - its still the best looping-coaster in the world!

On the Eurostar: While it looked good - and it even rode fine in the first years - it got quite rough after only a few years. As Schwarzkopf was out of business at the time they tried Intamin and sadly they failed to bring not only a good but also long-lasting coaster. It was simply not up to be a portable coaster. After that showmen in germany refrained from experiments and brought back a Wildcat "Die Wilden 50er" and a Doppel-Looping "Teststrecke" as Schwarzkopf models stay smooth even when often moved - the conic-joint system is still considered the best with no current manufacturer up to deliver such a reliable and long-lasting system.

Who even starts to talk about Galaxi's should be banned....

As my portable coaster experience is limited to only what has appeared at the OC Fair plus a few kiddies, I would have to say the Hi-Miler. However, a really close second would be the Wilde Maus RCS used to own. It broke down frequently and was fairly unreliable, but when it was running that ride gave some insane rides. Almost no braking anywhere on the coaster until the end, and the two person cars felt a lot more like they were going to fly off the track than most mouse cars do.

However, if including all portables I've seen, I think Olympia Looping probably takes the cake. It is massive, and I'm always surprised at how quickly that ride can be moved. Plus, from what I've heard, it is not only the best portable coaster, but one of the best coasters in the world, period. Unfortunately, my chances of ever riding it are low (unless it stops travelling and gets installed permanently somewhere), and we'll likely never see anything larger than a Pinfari looper in the US.

unless it stops travelling and gets installed permanently somewhere

The Barth family also runs an amusement park in germany were "used" rides mostly end up, so hopefully - from my point of view - if it ends in a park then in their own park....

You once had Thriller and had no respect for it......

Thriller puts the most punch into the first two loops were loop one goes directly into loop two - and the loops were stacked behind each other in the meaning that when you stand in front of it you see one loop behind the other - amazing 6+ Gs in the compression there. I've read that some US jerks "modified" it due to "extreme" Gs - well: Idiots! This would still be the best without the "modifications"!

Six Flags had Premier modify one of of the loops making the radius slightly larger to reduce Gs.

Anyway, I really like Hi Miler for the insane airtime it has!

I'm quite eager to see how Jetline at Gröna-Lund is doing next summer. I rode it years back on vacation with my parents. I've read that it was modified by Maurer-Söhne to adapt for some of their newer coasters a few years ago - as Maurer-Söhne owns most of the Schwarzkopf expertise after aquiring the coaster-deptartment from BHS I'm quite eager to see how it feels today.

What I don't understand in modifying Thriller was why it wasn't done by Zierer/BHS were many Schwarzkopf engineers were working at the time....