TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

POLL: Waterslide Riding Position?

How does your waterpark make you ride?  

64 members have voted

1. 1. How does your waterpark make you ride?

• Arms across the chest?
    • Arms behind head?

I love waterparks.

Would spend all day at one if we had one here in Las Vegas.

With the announcements being made of Six Flags St. Louis' and Great Adventures new slide complex - it brings me to a question I have always wondered....Why do some waterparks make a rider cross their arms while some have you put hands behind your head? What does your local waterpark do?

I always thought it would be a manufacture rule, but was not sure.

Behind?

Across the chest?

Edited by Twister II

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To my knowledge the manufacturer makes a recommendation and the operator decides (with insurance providers approval) whether to go with it or not. I would assume most parks would abide by what the manufacturer has recommended based on their testing while designing the product.

To my knowledge the manufacturer makes a recommendation and the operator decides (with insurance providers approval) whether to go with it or not. I would assume most parks would abide by what the manufacturer has recommended based on their testing while designing the product.

This may be true. When I worked at a waterpark we had White Water West slides - we told our guests to cross their arms across their chest. Going threw the companies website: http://www.whitewaterwest.com they have a few pictures of riders with arms behind their head. Like this one under "speed slides" gallery.

Same company, different park.

I think it's park preference just to ensure that idiots don't sit up and scoot around.

I've always done across the chest, but that's because when I was little I would plug my nose at the splash pool and that was the easiest way to do it while still getting narsty speed (I was a junky then, too).

I've found that it varies by park and by ride type, but it is more common for arms across the chest. That is my personal preference on all body slides except the body bowls, where I prefer hands behind the head (you can get a pretty good whack if you aren't expecting it when you enter the bowl if you're arms are on your chest).

Even when not told to, I also cross my legs, as it seems more streamlined and I think it can increase your speed slightly. Plus, it will decrease discomfort when you hit the runout.

Most water parks make you put your arms across your chest but when I went to Raging Waters San Jose it was arms behind the head on all their body slides. I thought this was interesting and I'm glad you brought it up. I'm guessing its up to park management or their corporate policy. I'm wondering if the other Raging Waters also has arms behind your head as well as the other Palace Entertainment water parks. Next time I go to a Six Flags water park (probably Hurricane Harbor in Valencia) I will take note of which way they do it. I am going to Wild Rivers on Sunday Sept 25 and will take note of which way they do it also, although it won't really matter as they are closing a week or two later forever.

I'm not sure I've ever crossed behind the head, but it looks painful.

I always thought the arms crossing enforcement was to make sure that people don't fling their arms out and try to grab the sides of the slide where they could really hurt themselves. Maybe some parks enforce arms-behind-the-head because it's harder and takes longer to reach out and grab the side of the slide from that position than an arms-crossed-at-chest position? Just a thought, at least in regards to speed slides because they're pretty fast rides.

The only waterpark I go to is WWK at Dorney and they want you to cross your arms. They are kind of strict about it. Some of the lifeguards tell you to cross your arms and legs every time you slide, even if you are going for your 5th slide in a row at the same slide complex when there is no line.

2 different parks I've gone to had 2 different requirements. I believe Waterworld in Concord at the time I was instructed to put hand behind head...I remember that because of my elbows rubbing on the speed slide and getting slide burn. At CGA, they tell you to cross your arms over chest (which I prefer, a little more 'hydrodynamic') when coming down.

The only waterpark I go to is WWK at Dorney and they want you to cross your arms. They are kind of strict about it. Some of the lifeguards tell you to cross your arms and legs every time you slide, even if you are going for your 5th slide in a row at the same slide complex when there is no line.

As a lifeguard that use to work on a slide complex: The saying "Lay flat, cross your arms, cross your legs." just gets engraved into your head. It becomes as normal as breathing.

Can someone get Shane in on this thread!?

I'm sure it's something drilled in their head. I found it funny that when we were doing our ERT session on Grizzly, though the station was empty, the ride operators still continued to say "Please step back as the air gates are closing." It is probably a requirement in that case that they have to go through the entire spiel regardless how many times they've seen you ride.