TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

RollerCoaster Tycoon on Nintendo 3DS

This thread is dedicated to covering the development, release, and discussion of the upcoming RollerCoaster Tycoon game for Nintendo 3DS.

Update History -

Aug 28 2011 - Nintendo Power writes a blip about an upcoming RollerCoaster Tycoon game for Nintendo 3DS

Sep 07 2011 - Atari makes the game official with a press release - RollerCoaster Tycoon 3D!

---

ORIGINAL POST:

Have you ever had one of those days where something slaps you across the face? This certainly did.

Atari bringing RollerCoaster Tycoon to 3DS

Image courtesy of GoNintendo and Nintendo Power.

- published by Atari

- developed by n-Space

- view coasters in 3D

- touchscreen controls

- built from the ground up with all-new assets exclusive to 3DS

- several coaster design options including suspended, hydraulic, wooden, steel and inverted

- other rides such as monorails, prebuilt kiddie rides, carousels and county fair-style attractions

- give parks themes such as haunted house and others

- handle ride construction and park maintenance

- hire and manage staff

- this includes janitors, mechanics and more

- multiple modes such as Coaster Creator and Sandbox

- built-in tutorials

- Coaster Story mode teaches you how to do everything through a series of scenarios and tutorials

- in-game adviser will hep identify in-part objectives and show players their progress

- due out in March

A.J. says - It looks like it's based off of RCT3, so this might not be the "RCT4" game that PC players are looking for. However, this looks like a game that will succeed on its own merits, and I look forward to play it when it gets released.

Edited by A.J.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How is the 3DS a failing platform? It's far too early to tell that.

It looks like the major selling point of this will be the 3D. I'll probably try to play it in person before I actually consider buying a copy.

And since nobody else has posted a picture of the article.

Just to show where Atari's heads are at, they have this on a failing platform, but they have yet to make an iPhone, Android, or WP7 game. Wow.

Actually, since the price cut, 3DS sales have picked up.

You have to remember that this game is targeted at the kids/family market. A parent would much sooner give their child a gaming system (such as a 3DS) than a smartphone.

UNLESS Atari also plans on making an RCT4 for PC, I will be heavily dissapointed. We have waited years for a new game, and all we get is a carbon copy of a six-year-old game? That is just my observation. I don't want a handheld console, and I have no interest in buying one. If this game is simply a copy, I probably will not buy it.

MrSum1"My laptop runs RCT3 just fine"_55

Press Release, courtesy of Joystiq -

ATARI TO UNLEASH ONE OF THE BEST-SELLING PC FRANCHISES OF ALL TIME ON NINTENDO 3DS

ROLLERCOASTER TYCOON 3D

Los Angeles, CA - September 7, 2011 Since its inception in 1999, Chris Sawyer's original RollerCoaster Tycoon and its sequels have captivated audiences with a gaming experience that put a whole new spin on the world of theme parks. Now, 12 years later and over 11 million units sold, Atari, one of the world's most recognised publishers and producers of interactive entertainment, is bringing RollerCoaster Tycoon back with a captivating 3D gameplay experience! Next year immerse yourself in the pinnacle of all theme park simulators with RollerCoaster Tycoon 3D, tailored exclusively for Nintendo 3DS™.

"RollerCoaster Tycoon 3D marks the return of one of the most popular game franchises and delivers an innovative, robust and unrestricted theme park simulator to the next generation of Tycoon fans," said Jim Wilson, CEO of Atari.

From constructing the wildest roller coasters to picking out the perfect spot for your stores and amenities amidst jam-packed crowds, you can finally enjoy the classic RollerCoaster Tycoon experience on a handheld device for the first time ever.

Complete creative freedom with intuitive and streamline controls

Fully enjoy the features that made the beloved series popular: a deep coaster construction system and robust theme park customisation. Design the wildest, most imaginative roller coasters through the "Coaster Creator" option using a user-friendly, touchscreen toolset and a wide array of upgrade possibilities and themes at your disposal.

A deep and immersive management simulation experience

The world of RollerCoaster Tycoon isn't just about creating roller coasters; managing theme parks is paramount to keeping finances flowing to build even more! This latest installment takes the demanding management simulation from the series and compresses it into a handheld form, creating a challenging yet manageable take on the genre for players of all ages.

New gameplay mode with special unlockable content

Completely new to the series is the "Coaster Story" mode, which blends together tutorials and park challenges into a cohesive and entertaining narrative. Choose your own player character and set off on a journey around the world to expand your roller coaster empire. As you progress, you'll unlock tons of unique attractions, themes, amenities and more.

§ Jump straight into "Park Sandbox" mode and take control

Players who want to get right into the action can quickly jump into the open-ended "Park Sandbox" mode and play RollerCoaster Tycoon 3D the classic way, where the only thing that matters is just how far you can take your own theme park. With the advanced networking capabilities of Nintendo 3DS, sharing your park creations is now easier than ever!

Developed by n-Space, RollerCoaster Tycoon 3D will be available in 2012. For more information, please log onto Official product website:http://rollercoastertycoon.com/ or find us on Facebook at Facebook.com/rollercoastertycoon.

AND...the teaser trailer.

It will be very interesting to see the Coaster Cam view through the 3DS' 3D screen.

Edited by A.J.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Figured I would bring this thread back from the dead with a rather disappointing review from Nintendo Power regarding the game:

Nintendo Power RollerCoaster Tycoon 3D review details

May 21st, 2012 Posted in 3DS, News, Posted by Valay

RollerCoaster Tycoon 3D is still without a final release date. Nevertheless, Nintendo Power did provide a verdict for the title in its May 2012 issue.

We menetioned that the publication gave RollerCoaster Tycoon a 5.5 / 10 several weeks ago. As far as what was said about the game….

- Build plenty rollercoasters in Coaster Story mode

- This mode has players helping tycoons revitalize their parks

- Help them raise money and attract guests

- Missions are generally simple but decently paced

- They challenge your coaster-constructing skills as well

- Fun to experiment with the coaster types to see what you can create

- Build and save up to nine rides using the separate Coaster Creator mode

- Pull your creations later to fulfill Coaster Story mission objectives

- Sandbox Mode is “a huge letdown”

- Unlimited funds, big plot of land available

- Very small limit on the number of rides, coaster parts, scenery pieces, shops, and footpaths that can be added to the park

- Lacks details that gave older entries some of their charm

- Can’t check guest statuses

- Can’t name rides

- Interface is cumbersome, making reconstructing sections of roller coasters difficult

- Can’t modify a coaster’s track without deleting each pieces that follows the area you wish to change

“Although RollerCoaster Tycoon 3D can be fun, its shortcoming prevent it from being the immersive experience the series is famous for. Fans might be excited to see the franchise return, but this portable simplification will leave most players feeling less than thrilled.

Link to the article...

The game has been delayed again... At this point it sounds like late August is now the slated release date, but I am not holding my breath...

EDIT:

Well, good thing I didn't hold my breath as GameStop now lists the release date as 12/31/12....

http://www.gamestop.com/nintendo-3ds/games/rollercoaster-tycoon/98963