TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kennywood stuff

Many of you may remember me posting about Jerome Gibas talking about Kennywood on http://www.kpconnection.com at Westcoaster, but it's been awhile since that discussion, so I'd like to update it for everybody. The following quote is from Jerome Gibas and is posted at the Kennywood Connection site on the "Ask The GM" forums. Remember you can read all of his posts and talk to other people about Kennywod if you register.

Hi KPConnection members,

To answer your first question and whether Kennywood would consider our next steel coaster with inversions and whether we could do this using the natural terrain of the park.

Our next steel coaster would be a well discussed subject that would include well more than just myself in the decision making process.

With the recent press conference we had detailing some of the ideas we have for future expansion, a steel coaster and/or a wooden one is definitely in the plans. Some of you may recall some comments I had at the ACE day at Kennywood. I would always like to consider having an attraction where we can accommodate as many people as possible. I believe that the more challenging a coaster you have (physically) the less people you will have that will ride it and/or consider repeat ridership. I feel that there are coasters that can be designed that have very smooth transitions in and out of inversions and loops. I also know that there are very exciting coaster that do not have inversions and loops. One of the best steel coaster I recently rode was at Europa park last November, a B&M coaster, that did not have any loops or inversions...an

Outstanding ride. I can assure you that we consider both ideas (loops/inversions vs. non-loops/inversions) when the time comes to make our decision. We will also work very hard at presenting a unique and exciting coaster that Kennywood has been known to accomplish.

Your second questions wants to know why we did not pursue the installation of the suspended looping coaster at Kennywood.

We had several things to consider on a ride of that caliber. The ride is a pre-engineered ride that was designed to fit on a relatively flat plane. This would require for us (Kennywood) utilizing a rather large piece of our flat property to install this ride. As everyone knows, flat, open property at Kennywood is at a premium. We felt that this ride was asking for too much of our property. We also reviewed the type of rider that would be required to ride this attraction. It did have some tight height requirements as well as dealing with the over-the-shoulder-harnesses which is restricting a lot of our larger Guests (a concern that we are seeing more of with the shoulder harnesses with larger Guests). When you are making a decision of this type, your team of decision makers have to be very enthusiastic and excited about installing the ride. We just did not have that huge "drive/excitement" to put this ride in. We wanted to consider something a little more exciting and dynamic for our next coaster installation.

Jerome

I actualy think Kennywood would be an even more awesome park with another hyper!

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great to hear they passed on the SLC, even though everyone knows there’s always room for another Vekoma. I haven't had the chance to get to Kennywood going on 4 years now so new a B&M coaster with an original layout would be huge incentive to get out to the park in the future.

It sucks being stuck in California but college tends to eat up my HUGE monthly budget ya know. Anyways, thanks for the info and the link.

BTW, first post over here at TPR. I finally migrated to greener pastures it looks like.

Sean-

I wouldn't think the park would put in another hyper, but you never know I guess. I will certainly make a trip to KW after whatever new is built. It is a short 5-6 hour drive from my house and very conveinent to include on a trip to CP.

Kennywood is not a park that would put another hyper in just for kicks. They would make it completely different and unique from Phantom's Revenge. Just look at their three wooden coasters. They're all old woodies, but completely different experiences. Jackrabbit's INSANE double-down, Thunderbolt's smashing laterals, and Racer's hand-slapping closeness are all fun experiences.

...and that's why I love Kennywood a lot more than parks like Cedar Point.

It wouldnt just be "another hyper" though.

Look at Holiday World. They have two world class woodies, both go through the woods and both are insane but both are completely different.

Now look at The Voyage. Its a monster in comparison and while the others are more twister layouts, its a traditional out and back (well, if the tunnels + turns are traditional). Theres many ways to skin a cat, or in this case, build a hyper.

It wouldnt just be "another hyper" though.

Look at Holiday World. They have two world class woodies, both go through the woods and both are insane but both are completely different.

Now look at The Voyage. Its a monster in comparison and while the others are more twister layouts, its a traditional out and back (well, if the tunnels + turns are traditional). Theres many ways to skin a cat, or in this case, build a hyper.

They would be the first. I guess it seems weird because no other park has done it.