TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Most Complicated Restraints

I know it's an awkward topic but what coaster (or flat) has the most complicated restraints to deal with. Also post a picture of the restraints if you can find one.

For me Vekoma Flying Dutchmans and TOGO Standups

TOGO Standup

Flying Dutchman

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Catapult at SFNE has some really bizarre restraints. First, there are those shoulder harnesses that lower on top of you. If you don't position yourself just right, you will have a really uncomfortable ride. Then there's the lap bar. It holds you in nice and snug, but a little too snug. It's like a boa constrictor; the more you breath out, the tighter it gets. Then again, with the forces you feel on this ride, you'd be glad the restraints are this complicated.

I think the worst restraints are Revolution at SFMM. Over the shoulder restraints which are very uncomfortable plus a lap bar is overkill for a coaster with one loop.

The X2 restraints are kinda weird and feels like putting on a vest (or as someone said a backpack) but they don't bother me, plus due to their design 48" kids can ride (I don't know if this was intentional).

Edited by 805Andrew

I think Cobra at La Ronde would have the most complicated restraints for me. First of all, it's hard to get into. And you stick your hand through one should of the harness, and then lower the other one that has a bar that covers your stomach. It was awkward for me because the harness wasn't symmetrical... Just uncomfortable.

For a roller coaster, I'm going with the Flying Dutchman and Togo Stand-Ups for most complicated. However, X2, the Giant Inverted Boomerang (at least Deja Vu), and Monstre are all fairly complicated. However, for any normal amusement ride, I would have to say the old Perilous Plunge restraints. Before it received the current boats, the ride had a normal Intamin T-Bar and a belt harness with four adjustment points. Operators were required to tighten all points as much as possible on every harness, so it was considered very good if the ride dispatched in under 4 minutes (it usually took about 6) and it was rare to not have at least one rejected rider.

Without a doubt, the most ridiculous ever for slowing down loading times has to be Magnum Force back when it was at Flamingo Land, some bright spark thought it would be wise to retrofit the trains with 5-point racing harnesses.....no joke

Was a nightmare!!!

Montana Infinitum in Mexico City has something similar to what you're describing. I barely was able to fit into it, because of my height.

For a roller coaster, I'm going with the Flying Dutchman and Togo Stand-Ups for most complicated. However, X2, the Giant Inverted Boomerang (at least Deja Vu), and Monstre are all fairly complicated. However, for any normal amusement ride, I would have to say the old Perilous Plunge restraints. Before it received the current boats, the ride had a normal Intamin T-Bar and a belt harness with four adjustment points. Operators were required to tighten all points as much as possible on every harness, so it was considered very good if the ride dispatched in under 4 minutes (it usually took about 6) and it was rare to not have at least one rejected rider.

What's so complicated about the GOB restraint? it appears to be your run of the mill OTSR.

^It may be only on Deja Vu, but there is also a normal seatbelt that must be buckled before lowering the shoulder restraint. Every time I ride, there are at least a couple people who forget to do that and the restraints must be unlocked and re-checked. It is probably because several other coasters have the same basic restraint (shoulder harness with a safety belt) and none of those have a normal seat belt on them.

I think Cobra at La Ronde would have the most complicated restraints for me. Just uncomfortable.

Agreed! Put in one arm, close the other side, hope you can fasten this and that you stand at the right height so your junk doesn't get smashed. I don't care to ever see those restraints again.

That being said, I still don't get why they have seat belts on river raft rides, if the damn thing turns over, I don't want to $%^& with a seat belt to get out. I know they probably think having a seat belt will keep you seated etc during the ride, but hell, if I wanted to stand up or jump in, I'd just unlock the stupid thing during the ride.

So far X2 had the most odd loading/restraint I've been on. Even standing at the gates last year and watching the loading/unloading I still needed help from a attendent to figure out how the restraint system should be lowered. Tatsu was odd belt it felt extremely nice. I have a somewhat intense fear of heights but tatsu made me feel 100% safe. Plus as long as it only derails after pretzel loop, it's pretty much worth it even if you die.