TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

East Coast Earthquake

megamatt

An earthquake hit the East Coast Tuesday afternoon, rattling nerves up and down the coast. The U.S. Geological Survey said the earthquake hit near the town of Mineral, Va. with a 5.9 magnitude , possibly the strongest quake to ever hit Virginia.

People reported feeling the ground move as far north as Portland, Maine, and as far south as Anderson, S.C. A Columbus, Ohio, government worker reported the building shook there, as well. The earthquake’s epicenter is located near the North Anna nuclear power plant. No damage has been reported at the plant, but two nuclear reactors have been shut down.

In Washington, people spilled out onto the streets. Three pinnacles from the central tower of the National Cathedral fell off, there are reports that two floors of the Pentagon have flooded, and a possible fire broke out in one of the Senate buildings.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/blogpost/post/earthquake-rattles-washington-east-coast/2011/08/23/gIQAdypEZJ_blog.html?hpid=z1

I could feel it in Massachusetts. It was more of a rumbling noise for about 5 seconds, then a bit of a shimmy. Kind of like if a train went by.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Epicenter was NW of Richmond, VA. KD, BGW and SFA are all pretty close by. Would be interesting to hear how they handled it. For people who aren't used to earthquakes, I could see some people panicking.

The rudest awakening possible is objects falling off of your shelf onto your sleeping self and the house shaking. I panicked and had absolutely no idea what to do. It was scary, but in retrospect it wasn't anything horrible. Just a little shaken up and no phone service for a couple hours.

I was laying down on my couch, watching Seconds From Disaster and I feel the couch start shaking, like something was underneath it and moving around. The thought of "EARTHQUAKE!!" never entered my mind, until about 10 or 15 minutes later my mom calls me on one phone and my grandmother on another, since they were both at work. That's how I found out it was an earthquake. Check one thing of the Bucket List.... At least marching band was cancelled and moved to today.

All hell broke loose on campus at AACC. People were running around like maniacs, even security. Then they decided to have a mass evacuation of campus. Traffic was a mess. In fact, I'm pretty sure 2012 will be nothing more than a worldwide traffic jam.

I was very calm. I have to admit though, seeing the hallway ripple was a little unsettling. And that's only because those buildings are not made to withstand earthquakes.

Sums it up.

And one word sums up the thoughts from westerners who chose to mock.......karma.

When the next "big one" happens out there, and the subsequent all-network telethon airs with all of Hollywood pining for my charitable donations, I'll be at the bar.......spending it.

I was on the top floor of the building where I work, when it started swaying; being a transplanted Californian, I knew what was going on, but many of my coworkers didn't.

When asked "What should we do?" I suggested running around screaming "AHHHHHHHH!" But it was over in a few seconds, anwyay.

I live in California and it's weird that Haiti, Chile, Japan, and now the East Coast are all hit with earthquakes except for us in the West Coast. I hope the West Coast isn't "next".

Wasn't anything major but it was enough to wake me up last night, we had a 3.9 in the east bay at close to midnight, close to Oakland. It seemed to last for a few seconds. Apparently there was a 3.6 this morning at the same area that I did not feel. Brought to us by the Hayward Fault.

I live in California and it's weird that Haiti, Chile, Japan, and now the East Coast are all hit with earthquakes except for us in the West Coast. I hope the West Coast isn't "next".

Wasn't anything major but it was enough to wake me up last night, we had a 3.9 in the east bay at close to midnight, close to Oakland. It seemed to last for a few seconds. Apparently there was a 3.6 this morning at the same area that I did not feel. Brought to us by the Hayward Fault.

I live near San Jose, CA, and I didn't feel it, though that is a small magnitude.