TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Behemoth & Leviathan

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What about the water coasters at Europa? I know they are different layouts, but they are similar.

^I don't know. Again, those two rides have vastly different height and age restrictions (1m vs 1.2m and 4 vs 6 years old) and different boats and layouts (multiple helixes and drops versus a splashdown boat).

Plus, it is Europa Park. They could put two clones of the exact same ride next to each other and somehow make it awesome.

What about the water coasters at Europa? I know they are different layouts, but they are similar.

I also give Europa bit more flexibility, because not only are they adding new additions to their park, but they are also showcasing the different type of products that Mack offers for other buyers.

I can't think of anything else like this. The two coasters at CW are so similar, I can't think of any other park I've visited/read about where two such huge, expensive additions that were so similar were added in such a short time frame. The water park additions are not similar, and I sort of discount wooden coasters, as the layouts are usually different enough.

Like Robb, I do think this was originally planned for another park in the CF chain (Knott's would be my guess, as a hyper has been rumored there for years) and for whatever reason that plan was pushed back, so the money was spent elsewhere in the chain. This does happen all the time, so a scenario like this wouldn't surprise me.

dt

^It does seem likely. But surely there is another park in the Cedar Fair chain that could use a hypercoaster better than a park that got the same type of ride four years ago.

I disagree, there really is no CF park that is in need of a hypercoaster.

Michigan's Adventure - At this time to small/low attendance to support a ride of this caliber.

California's Great America - Could use a hyper, too risky to install such a large ride due to the park situation. Plus the city would never allow it.

Knott's - The only viable option I see, I agree this ride could have been meant for Knott's.

Every other Cedar Fair park has a large hypercoaster of some type. The only other park I could see this going to would be Worlds of Fun. We have to remember though that Cedar Fair is out to make a profit, having this coaster at WOF would probably not be very profitable for the company. CW on the other hand will generate a huge profit.

Canada's Wonderland and King's Island seem like great choices for a ride of this size. The goal of CF is to bring in paying customers, not to please coaster enthusiasts. From a business perspective this is a great move IMO.

TL;DR: Behemoth was a huge success for CW, why not build an even better one to bring in more people?

I think that whoever brought up the Hersheypark example of Lightning Racer/Wilcat probably has the best so far.

While it may not be a one park example, I tend to look at central Florida and think "How many looping B&M's does one area need?"

But hey... although I'm not a huge fan of the giant B&M mega coasters... this park now has two high capacity coasters that will be a lot of fun for the GP. That's way better than the park's old business plan of low capacity dinky rides IMO. Good for them!

^I don't know. Again, those two rides have vastly different height and age restrictions (1m vs 1.2m and 4 vs 6 years old) and different boats and layouts (multiple helixes and drops versus a splashdown boat).

Plus, it is Europa Park. They could put two clones of the exact same ride next to each other and somehow make it awesome.

Hilarious!

What about the new Fantasyland project for WDW? They are adding TWO DUMBOS! Right next to each other!

X2/Green Lantern?

Between these two coaster there have been many other rides installed. They were not installed back-to-back. Besides, the ride experience is not the same at all.

Although not installed one after the other, the drop towers at Gröna Lund. Frit Fall was installed in 1998 and Katapulten in 2004, along with the upgraded Frit Fall Tilt. I can't think of any other amusements parks that have two big-sized towers (I am not counting multiple tower riders - aka S&S Combo Towers)

Edited by oriolat

I have to agree with the Hersheypark aspect on both fronts with SR/FH and WC/LR. I never really got the concept of FH ever being built in the first place, especially so close to SR??? Same for the woodies.

On a side note, would Knotts have even been big enough for a ride this size?

When Six Flags Great America put in Shockwave when they already had Demon. Both are Arrow loppers and Shockwave was basicly Demon on steroids. Its kind of like just putting in a bigger version of a ride you already have. Its the closest thing I can think of to this.

Colossus Track 1

125 ft (38 m)

Drop 115 ft (35 m)

Length 4,325 ft (1,318 m)

Max speed 62 mph (100 km/h)

Colossus Track 2

125 ft (38 m)

Drop 115 ft (35 m)

Length 4,325 ft (1,318 m)

Max speed 62 mph (100 km/h)

In all seriousness, I cannot think of anything though.

They're not roller coasters, but Six Flags Magic Mountain opened with Log Jammer and Jetstream opened the next year. Both are log flumes and both have two drops, with the larger drops being the same size. It's not quite the same, but that is the closest thing I can think of at any park I've been to, at least at the moment.

BGW:

Drachen Fire (1992) and Loch Ness Monster (1978)

Why a park with the most perfect Arrow looper built would want to upstage it still befuddles me to this day.

But Drachen Fire wasn't meant to be an Arrow.

BGW:

Drachen Fire (1992) and Loch Ness Monster (1978)

Why a park with the most perfect Arrow looper built would want to upstage it still befuddles me to this day.

But Drachen Fire wasn't meant to be an Arrow.

Yeah, BGW wanted to go with B&M like BGT, but I think B&M decided it was too much for them at the time. They were still pretty small back then and Kumba was easily the largest project they had ever done back at that point.