TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags St Louis / Holiday World crowds this weekend?

I'm starting a big midwest road trip in a couple of days, beginning in Kansas City and circling counterclockwise through Cincinnati, Sandusky and Chicago, hoping to hit most of the area parks in their last days of weekly operation.

The trip spans only one weekend. Saturday puts us at Six Flags St Louis. Is Quick Queue advisable? Any touring tips besides what's in the Park Index? Recommended seats on the coasters besides the standard advice (avoid wheel seats on woodies, etc)?

How about Holiday World, which we're hitting the next day? I hear Wildebeast draws an enormous line. Is it true there's a single rider line for a water ride without individual seats? Seems odd.

Thanks for your help, and particular thanks to those who've posted recent reports from the area. It's a huge help to have some idea where to spend our limited time.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Q-Bot is always recommended, and on a Saturday STRONGLY recommended. I'm not sure about the single rider line on Wildebeest, but I do know it does get a long line, and each of the rafts DOES have 4 seats (although you might have a stranger's legs on your hands).

I was just at both of the those parks last month and here are some tips based on my experience.

Six Flags St. Louis:

Crowds: I was here on a Sunday, and the longest line was 20 minutes. I don't know how much more crowded Saturday is, but I'd wait until you got there to see what the crowds are like. If it is crowded, get a Flash Pass. If not, don't. I'm not sure how long you'll have at the park, but we did everything we cared about doing with re-rides on three-quarters of those rides in nine hours. If you have much less than that, you might want to get a Flash Pass anyway unless you're only there to do each coaster (and a couple other rides) once.

Seats on Coasters: In my opinion (which may differ from that of others), I preferred the back on American Thunder, Batman The Ride, and Mr. Freeze, and the front on Boss and Ninja. Both the Front and Back were good on Screamin' Eagle, and it didn't matter for River King Mine Train. Pandemonium has single cars, so it won't matter there either. A fair bit of warning about Boss...it is pretty rough, and the trains aren't the most comfortable, so avoid the wheel seats at all costs and sit in the front half of the train for a smoother ride.

Must-Do Non-Coasters: Scooby-Doo Ghostblasters is a really good shooting dark ride, and is water-based unlike most of them. Do this one early before it gets too crowded, as the line moves slow. I would also recommend Superman: Tower of Power if you like drop towers, as it is one of the taller ones and is quite fun (although not the best out there).

Recommend Touring Plan: Start with American Thunder, and go clockwise from there, hitting (in order): Mr. Freeze, Scooby-Doo, Pandemonium, Boss, Screamin' Eagle, Superman, River King Mine Train, Ninja, Batman. After that, you can do the remaining rides in whatever order.

Holiday World:

Crowds: I was here on a Wednesday, and found that the Amusement park section was generally uncrowded (other than Voyage and Pilgrims Plunge, none of the lines were over 15 minutes), but the waterpark was very crowded. If you want to ride Wildebeest, be changed and ready to go when the waterpark opens, and head straight there. We waited 15 minutes for it, and by the time we got off the line was already past the 90 minute sign. There is a signle rider line, but I do not know whether it branches off or is a completely separate line.

Seats on Coasters: Try the back on the three wooden coasters, but only if you are prepared for the roughness. It will give you a great ride, but it will also beat you up on the Voyage and the Legend (not so much on the Raven). Ride a non-wheel seat in cars one or two for Voyage and Legend for the smoothest ride.

Must Ride Non-Coasters: Gobbler Getaway is another good shooting dark ride, and Pilgrims Plunge is an awesome water ride. In the waterpark, in addition to Wildebeest, be sure to check out Zinga and Zoombabwe, as those are both really good rides.

Recommend Touring Plan: When the park opens, go to Voyage and get a ride on that and Gobbler Getaway, then get changed and wait for waterpark opening. Head immediately to Wildebeest, then Zoombabwe, then Zinga. Do any other waterpark rides you feel like doing, then head back to the ride park after lunch. Lines should be shorter, so you can do the remaining attractions in whatever order. I would be surprised if lines are as short as they were when I visited, since I was there on a weekday, but they still shouldn't be excessively long. The park is in the middle of nowhere, and I'm guessing it doesn't draw as many people as most other major parks do (although it is smaller).

Thanks for the in depth tips AJ. I'm trying to keep on an mind regarding Voyage. Much of the anticipation of riding a top ranked ride is tempered by the voices that cry "too rough, too rough!" I expected new trains by now but that's how it goes. Consequently, Wildebeest is our top goal.

Thanks Robb. Wildebeest seems a little intimate for a single rider line. Not that I'd mind much, but a 40 something sliding onto a raft full of teen girls is uncomfortably close to perv status.

Just think, if you did that you'd be conditioned to be a mall Santa this Christmas!

P.S. See you in KC, big boy

I would be surprised if lines are as short as they were when I visited, since I was there on a weekday, but they still shouldn't be excessively long. The park is in the middle of nowhere, and I'm guessing it doesn't draw as many people as most other major parks do (although it is smaller).

It's funny. You're right, Holiday World is a somewhat small park in the middle of nowhere...but the crowds it draws are absolutely ridiculous. After mid-June, I wouldn't step foot in the park on a weekend. Especially not Splashin' Safari. There's a reason the park has built a second wavepool, lazy river, a fourth large kids play area, and is now building a 6-person per raft, second water coaster.

However, the plan you suggested for maneuvering about the park is the best one possible, and hopefully the Kentucky State Fair will draw some people away from the park this weekend.

Have a great trip, PAL!