TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Forgotten coasters

I was just thinking about coasters that seem to have fallen off the face of the world today at work and one came to mind was Monstre

I guess being that I was like 4 when it was constructed you just dont hear much about it. It looks fun and it has a unique history being that one track was built after the other open.

Whats that coaster that comes to your mind when it comes to forgotten coasters?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ That's the one I was going to say. I remember all the hype that year... it was just like the biggest thing..EVER. And the damn thing was broke down like every other day. By the time they dismantled it, all these other parks (like Busch Gardens Williamsburg, Big Bad Wolf) were putting them in and their's ran fine.

Shari "we were the guinea pigs" Shoufler

It looks fun and it has a unique history being that one track was built after the other open.

Yeah, that was creepy! I rode it when it was only one track, and the 2nd track was half under construction! So not only were you ducking in and out of scaffolding and construction equipment, but there was a half build coaster right next to you!

--Robb

MA has 2 SBNO Wood Coaster... "true" coaster people forgot.. Comet and Flyer Comet (I had been on) both I have track walked...

http://s7.invisionfree.com/CanobieFans/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=5413026

and as seen in a TPR joke about Whalom been nicer in its state now then (I think it was) Dreamland in Japan.

this is what Whalom looks like now...

http://s7.invisionfree.com/CanobieFans/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=5417708

(more photos can be seen in this topic http://s7.invisionfree.com/CanobieFans/index.php?showtopic=432&st=0)

Ozark Wildcat, as well as Celebration City. This ride was greatly hyped, but after opening, not much else was mentioned of it. I can't help but wonder if the ride (and the park for that matter) didn't meet the hype or if there just aren't that many enthusiasts who have experienced. Any takers on this one?

picture taken from coastergallery.com

http://www.coastersandmore.de/rides/twister/twistermain.shtml

This coaster looks awesome, but I've never seen any mention of it. It is in Libanon, but in any case, it seems this ride has been forgotten after under three months of operation...

I agree. It looks amazing. Looks like they are still biulding the park though from the pcis on coastersandmore. But it does look brilliant. The whole layout and setting looks brilliant. Right on the side of a mountain. I got to go there a ride it someday. *adds to long list of coasters to ride before death*

• 6 months later...
Ozark Wildcat, as well as Celebration City. This ride was greatly hyped, but after opening, not much else was mentioned of it. I can't help but wonder if the ride (and the park for that matter) didn't meet the hype or if there just aren't that many enthusiasts who have experienced. Any takers on this one?

I would gracefully DISAGREE!! (So much for grace )

The Ozark Wildcat is my #1 wooden coaster (out of 138 ridden). I like this better than Hades, Thunderhead, BD, Legend, Raven, GR, ST... etc. Though it may fall to my #2 this year in Mitch's poll to J2 (Tsunami). Haven't quite decided yet.

I know that others feel the same way. I think that Robb & Elissa both have this ranked highly as well. The reason that you probably don't hear all that much about it is, it's just so far off the beaten path!! A lot of people haven't made it there yet.

Granted CC isn't all that big, but with a sister park like SDC 10 minutes away, it makes a great destination weekend, or longer!!

JJ

I kind of like this idea about this topic being more about coasters that are STILL in existance today that were once really hyped and talked about, and now no one seems to mention at all.

What I find interesting is coasters that 5 to 10 years ago were the talk of the town, like Hypersonic, Villain, Phantom's Revenge, SFGADv's Medusa, etc that you really hear nothing about now.

What's even MORE interesting is when there is a brand new major installation that everyone talked about prior to the season, and by the end of the season no one seemed to care. Hydra IMMEDIATLY comes to mind!

I mean, before the start of this year's season I saw discussions like "will there be an inversion before the lift", "What is the Jojo roll", etc, etc.

And then it opened...

*crickets chirping*

Wow. It almost seemed like the ride was forgotten about before the opening day came to an end!

As for coasters that have been torn down, yeah, I mean, they're gone. But what other coasters can you think of that fits one of the two examples:

1. Coasters hyped up and talked about years ago that you hear nothing about now.

2. Coasters that were hyped up before a season started, but by the end of the season people forgot about (doesn't have to be THIS season!)

--Robb "and, oh yeah, I agree with Jeff above, OW (I love that nickname) was really good!" Alvey

1. Coasters hyped up and talked about years ago that you hear nothing about now.

2. Coasters that were hyped up before a season started, but by the end of the season people forgot about (doesn't have to be THIS season!)

1) "X", Dejavu, superman krypton coaster, SOB, AIR...

2) Vekoma motorbike, and the long forgotten aqua trax coaster!

Here is a Schwarzkopf designed coaster that I've heard absolutely nothing about. It was put in just last year too.

http://www.rcdb.com/ig2867.htm

It's called Big Whirl Wind and its at some park in St. Pertersburg Russia

While I don't believe it was ever really hyped around here, it is in a forgotten part of the coaster world!

big-whirl-wind18.jpg.471ae3a44d9087dbd37193d89b83277a.jpg

Tell me thats not a kick ass location for a coaster

big-whirl-wind6.jpg.32b3d13cd3c772350678031e01beb159.jpg

Dude this hill looks awesome

big-whirl-wind14.jpg.7a59a0ad2da545be703a43669bb78841.jpg

Check out the size of this thing