• 3 months later...
  • Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Klasse Bilder / Great Pictures

Cranger Kirmes is a special funfair, its the third biggest funfair in germany.

Wanna see Cranger Kirmes in a video?

Here it is.

incl. Onrides: Circus Circus, Take Off, Olympia Looping, Spinning Racer, Star Flyer, Flipper, Flash, Salto Mortale, Booster Maxxx, ...

I hope you like it.

Very cool pictures of a very cool fair. I lovethis "Kirmesse" and Herne is the place where I rode Eurostar several times. I'm not sure how many times Olympia landed here. Anyway, I hit this at night with 2 fellow TPR members (besties Nick and Chris) while we were on a coaster road trip in Belgium / France / Holland / Germany. My purpose is of course NOT to hijack your thread but I thought you might want a couple of night time pictures of some of the rides and the beer tents which are MUCH MUCH FUN !!! look at the atmosphere... it's no Oktoberfest but can give you a "little taste" of the happy drunkenness of German popular events. As a matter of fact, you'll realize the older people are (oldJJman, are you reading ? , the more fun they seem to have. Alcohol might play a role though.

IMG_5833.thumb.JPG.f610c876d71cd9d5b829ff9649377fdf.JPG

ok, it's not Oktoberfest, but it's REALLY an essential element of Cranger Kirmesse too :)

IMG_5828.thumb.JPG.a972e971093e4510e63943fe88d0b509.JPG

people flocking in

IMG_5835.thumb.JPG.dfcea37f1f253c8b105f21be1dfd8343.JPG

Pump auf das Bier ! Heute abend werden wir alle getrunken sein ! ;-)

IMG_5840.thumb.JPG.92d33bd021eb4e1885702c7cbcc5555d.JPG

there's no age to have fun ! Jeff Johnson, get on a plane !

IMG_5845.thumb.JPG.20bce1d24aff4ce0b683d4328ff56c44.JPG

what are those rings I see in the distance ?

IMG_5852.thumb.JPG.01d0fdd2279964407fa5f857c4b51e3c.JPG

<3

IMG_5859.thumb.JPG.dabff06be63b4770c21ef6ec3904f210.JPG

that was after our EXCLUSIVE RIDE WITH LIGHTS OUT !

IMG_5849.thumb.JPG.3962d53ab9816f64a0c1f9d6f14ef5b7.JPG

Thanks for sharing! I really do need to get to a German Fair one day. I was just wondering but how exactly do the queues on some of the rides work. I noticed on the Brakedance there is no actual "queue line". When the cycle stops do people just rush on? How do they know you payed for a ticket?

Thanks for sharing! I really do need to get to a German Fair one day. I was just wondering but how exactly do the queues on some of the rides work. I noticed on the Brakedance there is no actual "queue line". When the cycle stops do people just rush on? How do they know you payed for a ticket?

Well, it's sort of a "first come first serve" type of thing, and if it gets really crowded, you have to be quick... or ready to use your elbows! You buy a ticket or a token at each rides booth and then take your place around the ride and just wait until you see a free car. Once you get in the car, a ride-op will come around and collect tickets/tokens while they are locking you in. Most of the coasters and dark rides have a sort of cue before the station, but basically all of the flat rides do not. Everyone just sort of stands around and waits their turn, and somehow it all works out. I must admit though, for someone who is not used to that system, it takes a while to get used to!

@ScottBrown

I dont think its about capacity.

First europe in general and germany especially is BIG in machine building and we've great manufacturers like Mack, Huss, Zierer, Mondial, KMG, Technical Park - so I guess there just no need to import rides from the US which adds cost by just beeing so far away. Right now I cant name a ride that was built in the US except for wooden coasters in parks that is active here. In Heide-Park there once was a Chance Wipeout but that is gone now. Also in the past we had Schwarzkopf, Klaus, Fähtz, DeBoer, Nautik-Bussink...

Another reason might be that the US rides are delivered quite basic in lighting and theming compared to the massive light-setup and the huge colorful backwalls our rides have - these are mostly costum made by the - or by subsidaries - of the ride manufacturers. I guess for a german showmen american manufacturers should make their rides more "flashy".

At last eurpean rides need to be made according to german DIN and european EN norms when it comes to materials and security systems - so an american manufactur has to work according to thses norms including prooving that he does so. I dont think that american rides are less secure but american norms are not accepted here when the ride needs its TÜV permission - and I've seen in the netherlands and denmark that those rides are also tested by the german TÜV as its security standards are known to be among the strictest and most in-depth. At the Edmonton triple-loop you see how it ends when TÜV regulations are not met...