TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Survival/Emergency Preparedness Thread

megamatt

Recently I've been beginning to stock up on emergency supplies. Some water, some food, a first aid kid, the basics. I'm hoping to expand soon, so I can have at least enough food and water to last 2 people 2 weeks with no outside supplies. I was wondering if TPR had a thread for it.. didn't find one, so.. Here it is. Discuss preparing for, and dealing with, natural disasters, disease, chemical spills, warfare, etc. (Zombies? )

Some helpful links:

http://www.ready.gov/

7 Ways to Light a Fire Without Matches

How to Store Emergency Drinking Water

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is there a question mark after zombies? Even the CDC has emergency preparation for zombie invasion.

I always keep a supply of canned food and water on hand. I need to rotate some of the stuff out bit it's better than nothing. I admit I am completely I'll prepared for zombies, I have very little weaponry.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

We always have a 72 hour kit is our cars. We have food, water, clothes, and a bunch of 'camping' stuff. Living near the mountains it's kind of important. During the winter we add a bunch of winter survival stuff as well. Just last week some guy died and his girlfriend survived when they went over the mountains and got stranded in a storm. At home we have a bunch of additional stuff just in case. After having gone through the 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake, I've always been a little more prepared than most.

I had an emergency 'grab' list in California as well as a four person 72hour survival bucket.

Here in Florida I should really stock up on some more water, but I still have my survival bucket! Need to update my 'grab' list though as there are so many random things that could happen that would involve you needing to pick up and leave in a matter of minutes.

Something else to consider, you should always have at least a half tank of gas. Don't be one of those people that let it go to empty.

You'd thinking living an hour north of Chicago and an hour south of Milwaukee we wouldn't have any crazy storms. That's all a lie. We've had tornados touch down, even though the National Weather Service said it wasn't a tornado. The local Naval Base was tracking the storm and saw the touchdowns along with County Sheriffs. We also lived through Snowmageddeon 2011 where it literaly snowed 24 inches in 24 hours and everything was closed for like 2 days. We had enough food in the house for those 2 days and the tornados didn't do much damage (just knocked out power in some areas for up to a week). I'm more concerned about the Zombie Apocalypse. I do have a plan of action for that. I've seen enough zombie movies I know what to do.

There are commercials on TV here in IL about the "Click it or Ticket" campaign. They use the zombies as an example why you should buckle up. I'm not sure if other states have the same commercial. Anyone else see them?

Having been right in the middle of the last two major earthquakes we've had in CA (at Candlestick Park in 1989 and 4 miles from Epicenter in Northridge in 1994) we've always been prepared for earthquakes. We have about 4 days worth of food/water stored in our garage and we always have a full propane tank on our BBQ. One of the things we learned after Northridge was that the BBQ's became important for eating the food in the fridge/freezer over the first couple of days (before it went bad).

Also suggest to check your supplies every year or so to make sure everything is still good. We recently put in supplies for our cats and found a few things that needed to be replaced.

• 5 weeks later...

Really haven't done much to prepare for a disaster. Probably the worst we would run into is a house fire. Do have an order to get things out of the house, kids, dogs, backup drive and photo albums. After that pretty much everything else is replaceable.

We did have a pipe break last week and had the water turned off for 24 hours. The biggest problems were the toilets. That was easily solved by using the water from the pool. Could have easily boiled it for drinking and cooking if we had too but we used botled to drink and went out to eat so there was nothing to clean.

In the military they use "Go Bags." In the SEALs and other operation forces notification of a mission can come pretty much at the last second, so they keep bags full of all the gear they will need for any given mission in a bag where they can just grab it an go.

It's a pretty go idea to have a similar bag for yourself with normal survival gear, especially if you live in a tornado, hurricane earthquake, etc zone. It's also a good idea to have a small kit with a number of things in your car.

If you travel, it's also pretty handy because a lot of the things you would take with you on a vacation are already packed and ready to go. Just make sure to take out the knife first.

• 5 months later...