TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Embarrassed of parks...

The funny part is, I find the stuff some enthusiasts say WAY more cringeworthy than anything the GP may say.

I'm like you in that I don't go out of the way or instigate talking to people randomly about roller coasters or amusement parks. People know I am REALLY into coasters, as they'd put it, so they will often ask me about them, or bring up talking about them, knowing my interest. But beyond that, I pretty much focus my "enthusiasm" online, in places like this.

One funny thing regarding this, from recently, is the huge number of people who have said to me either "Hey, I assume you heard about Mean Streak", or "Did you know that Mean Streak is closing?" Funny, because it's almost like some of them act like they are giving the information to me too, or wondering if I was aware yet. I just smile, say yes, and if they want to discuss further, nerd out on them about the joys of a potential RMC transformation!

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I'm not embarrassed at all about this hobby, I still just go about my own business while at parks. The thing that really irks me is that my friends, family, neighbors and co-workers all know my hobby is this along with the traveling that goes along with it. They know I find the cheapest prices for rental cars, hotels and park tickets, plus know that I know how to work a park to maximize the fun. You think they would ask me for advice but NO. No one has ever asked or question me on anything.

^^-- I've considered never recommending anything to anyone -- books, movies, TV shows, you name it -- as they never listen to me.

I recently read that almost everyone is a geek about something -- defined as knowing more than most and more than really needed about some subject.

For me, i'd love to meet up with people who enjoy theme parks, but -

I get irritated with coaster "talk" from people who claim they know everything there is to know. If I were to hang out with people who like theme parks, I'd prefer riding rides for enjoyment, and just enjoying the park as a park. I'd probably get irritated with someone riding something just for the credit, or someone going nonstop about ride statistics or how El Toro is far better than whatever ride we are about to go on. I do like to talk about theme parks, but roller coaster enthusiasts can be so extra. I just find a lot of enthusiasts obnoxious

For me, i'd love to meet up with people who enjoy theme parks, but -

I get irritated with coaster "talk" from people who claim they know everything there is to know. If I were to hang out with people who like theme parks, I'd prefer riding rides for enjoyment, and just enjoying the park as a park. I'd probably get irritated with someone riding something just for the credit, or someone going nonstop about ride statistics or how El Toro is far better than whatever ride we are about to go on. I do like to talk about theme parks, but roller coaster enthusiasts can be so extra. I just find a lot of enthusiasts obnoxious

My thoughts exactly.

I would only be embarrassed if I were a coaster enthusiast that lived near Kings Dominion.

I've never been embarrassed about it. When in a meeting at work, they always do an "ice breaker" and ask everyone to say the usual (where from, how long at firm, etc...) but they also always ask for one unusual or unique thing about you. I usually say I'm a theme park nerd and I've ridden over 350 different roller-coasters. For the most part, people think that it is a pretty awesome hobby and MANY people tag me in coaster articles on Facebook or forward me news stories about theme parks.

I don't go full-on technical with my non-enthusiast friends because forcing someone to listen to things they are not interested in is rude. I will, however, talk about funny things I've seen at different amusement parks, etc.