TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

An open debate about NE Designs-

[MOD EDIT: SPLIT FROM ANOTHER THREAD, READ DOWN FOR THE FIRST POST!- R.D.]

QueerRudie:

Probably becasue he wanted to send it in to NE to get the points and try for a accolade. They have a policy where's its not allowed to be uploaded to another site or they won't review it I think.

Or they used to.

Edited by QueerRudie

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QueerRudie:

Probably becasue he wanted to send it in to NE to get the points and try for a accolade. They have a policy where's its not allowed to be uploaded to another site or they won't review it I think.

Or they used to.

\

How elitist of them!

Only for accolades. If you submit it for an award, it can't be previously released, but otherwise, it's fine. Plus, you can release it anywhere once it's been released as an accolade. For example, I submitted a park to NE and won spotlight; it wasn't released before, so it was still able to get the award. However, once it was released as a spotlight, I could do whatever I wanted with it and uploaded it to the Games Exchange here as well.

It's fairly annoying to see so many people on TPR categorize the site as "elitist" when very few are members, and those who are members on both sites are treated well.

It's fairly annoying to see so many people on TPR categorize the site as "elitist" when very few are members, and those who are members on both sites are treated well.

Um, do you have a better word for it?

As it appears to me, the message is being sent: "If you want to get something from us, you can't put your park anywhere else first." Why would it matter? RCT II is not something that the rest of the world is going to stop and go "WOW" over. To me that seems like a rather fruitless and pointless rule.

Perhaps I just don't understand the issues with having posted to multiple sites- and for that matter, it seems protectionist to do so. We don't have that rule her at TPR- and we DO give out Awards for competitions; soon much more from there.

I guess it is protectionist in a way; it's a rule from the very beginning of the site back in 2002. However, with the releases, I think part of the policy is to create some anticipation. Unlike TPR, where RCT2 is just one small part of a much larger community, RCT, and RCT2 especially, form the backbone of NE's community; it's what we revolve around, so we take it a bit more seriously than most other sites. In a comparison, TPR's forums can be seen as a community that sprung from Robb and Elissa's trip reports and reviews. NE is similar in that we are surrounded by our release and accolade system; we started out as a club, and that attitude, as well as our position as one of the few-remaining RCT-specific sites, creates what I guess can be an "elitist" atmosphere, but mainly because we pride ourselves on quality. We want releases to be special in the RCT2 community, the audience that WILL stop and go wow over these parks, so I'm assuming that this "unreleased accolade submission" rule is a way to generate surprise and a way to make the accolades special.

Again, I'm not an admin at NE, who I'm sure could better explain the whole policy, but our site is central to the accolades, so there's some inherent stringency stemming from that.

I decided to split this topic off, simply as I'm finding myself more than a bit confused about NE Designs, and some of their policies.

I don't want this to become a "We're better than them" thread, but rather, I'd like some insight into some of the rules there that I myself don't understand, as well as other such items. This is not an NE Bashing thread- nor is it a TPR Games Forum bashing thread- and any such posts will be deleted.

Basically: These are posts from another user's thread, answering a basic set of questions that I don't understand: Why IS there an restriction on releasing a park to other sites before NE designs 'rates' it - and for that matter, why does such a rule matter? I'm finding it very frustrating that we see work here on the Games Forum, but aren't able to share in these works with our own members due to the NE rule about submitting your park to another site first.

Thoughts?

I understand their policy, and it does make sense - it prevents fraud.

If that policy didn't exist, someone could upload a park here and then another person could take the park that was uploaded here and upload it there under a different username - stealing an accolade (though, in reality, NE accolades and every other award for winning a RCT contest don't mean anything) from someone who rightfully deserves it.

I understand their policy, and it does make sense - it prevents fraud.

If that policy didn't exist, someone could upload a park here and then another person could take the park that was uploaded here and upload it there under a different username - stealing an accolade (though, in reality, NE accolades and every other award for winning a RCT contest don't mean anything) from someone who rightfully deserves it.

If that is the case, what's to say that they don't do that anyway? Or for that matter, the same thing here? I can understanding wanting to prevent fraud- but I'd think that people over there would be smart enough to recognize works back and forth between the sites.

The reason why they dont want you to release is anyway but NE, is that they make you a logo and write-up, to have some sort of grand release. I mean, why make logos and write-ups for parks that have been released? Sure, you have to wait a while to release it elsewhere, but the wait is only like, 5 days. I'd rather wait the 5 days to see a park's page full of pictures and a writeup then a a page just with the download.

EDIT: why not argue on chat?

I decided to split this topic off, simply as I'm finding myself more than a bit confused about NE Designs, and some of their policies.

I don't want this to become a "We're better than them" thread, but rather, I'd like some insight into some of the rules there that I myself don't understand, as well as other such items. This is not an NE Bashing thread- nor is it a TPR Games Forum bashing thread- and any such posts will be deleted.

Basically: These are posts from another user's thread, answering a basic set of questions that I don't understand: Why IS there an restriction on releasing a park to other sites before NE designs 'rates' it - and for that matter, why does such a rule matter? I'm finding it very frustrating that we see work here on the Games Forum, but aren't able to share in these works with our own members due to the NE rule about submitting your park to another site first.

Thoughts?

in my mind, if I were to advertise my work over here, and not show a screen at all over at NE, and enlist to there service without at least being an "active" member, I find that at least unfair to ask people who don't know me to make a write-up for my park, and a nice, professional logo. It's like being a loyal customer for one place, and then secretly obtaining the same service, that is better, but never become a loyal customer after such events.

Personally, I don't see what's so wrong with it, because like Rob said, after it is released, I am able to do what ever I please to do with my work. It might take time, but at least it will be shared in due time.

Are they elitist over there? Not really, but all sites have there ego minded folks.

The ego over there comes from the criticism, and trust me, without it, it wouldn't push me to try new things and do better!

A.J. is completely right. NE takes itself very seriously, and I would argue for good reason.

I joined NE because I saw what they were making and was hugely impressed. The level of creativity and execution on the site is absolutely unparalleled. Having said that, it does not mean than NE has all the best players. I absolutely love the Folf parks at TPR, and they share many of the same qualities that NE seems to demand.

It is simply because NE is the site that demands this that makes that rule have validity. TPR is content as a site to show how to have fun with RCT, which is, after all, the point of the game. NE strives to single itself out as a site that pushes the envelope of what an out of date PC game can do. They use as a sandbox.

I feel that NE is allowed to have elitist undertones. Neither TPR or NE has the right to bash each other in any respect. NE has the rules it has because it values the intellectuals its site holds, even if they are only intellectuals on the RCT level. They still hold an unparalleled sense of excellence when it comes to RCT.

As a member of both sites, I can vouch that it is about 10 billion times harder to post a screen on NE than on TPR. Many people complain about that, but in the end, if you stick to NE, it's because you value the feedback, often harsh as it may be, that the members give you. This parallels to its rules. If you chose to be a member of NE and upload your parks for an accolade, you value the sense of elitist community it provides if you score well. There's nothing wrong with that. It is just the nature of the site.

Don't know if any of my thoughts made sense, but I thought I'd throw in my two cents.

NE and TPR can coexist perfectly fine. Think of it like a children's museum and a science museum: they have an almost overlapping audience to draw from, can overlap in exhibits and content, but coexist just fine. You can see people going to both museums, or going to only one. A trip to the other never hurts anyone.

I think that QueerRudie's central gripe can be fixed by being patient! There are accolades that have ended up on the TPR exchange later(robbie/robmeister's excellent SF park and Roomie/gutterflower's LL masterpieces).

If this is going to turn into NE's culture vs TPR's culture then it will degrade quickly.

I'll probably shut up after this -

Getting a NewElement accolade doesn't mean anything.

Winning a TPR Game Exchange Contest doesn't mean anything (but a Bag of Crap is nice).

Winning [insert RCT-related award here] doesn't mean anything.

NewElement is dedicated to RCT2. Theme Park Review is dedicated to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, and Donkeys, and has a little RCT/NoLimits sprinkled on top. It's not worth a huge debate. I could very well make an account over there and submit a park. I could very well get an accolade. Sure, that's a cool pat on the back, but it won't get me anywhere.

That's why I play the games for fun, and that's why I like showcasing my stuff here more.

Edited by A.J.

NE and TPR can coexist perfectly fine. Think of it like a children's museum and a science museum: they have an almost overlapping audience to draw from, can overlap in exhibits and content, but coexist just fine. You can see people going to both museums, or going to only one. A trip to the other never hurts anyone.

I think that QueerRudie's central gripe can be fixed by being patient! There are accolades that have ended up on the TPR exchange later(robbie/robmeister's excellent SF park and Roomie/gutterflower's LL masterpieces).

If this is going to turn into NE's culture vs TPR's culture then it will degrade quickly.

Partly I think I see a lot of people posting up pictures and then saying go to NE to download the park- and that's something that does bug me. I want us to have a thriving community- and I love the idea of people posting parks here, there and everywhere- it's good for the game. However, don't simply link to another site just because you're not allowed to post it here- that's just not fair to us.

And it's not about the culture of the two sites, at least to me. We have our own separate demographics, and that's fine; we are about all games here vs. just RCT II there, and I respect that. I'm hoping that people will see my persepective here; it's not meant to cause anybody to go "We're better than you are, nyah nyah" but rather for me to try and understand what is, at least in my opinion, a rather outdated policy- and one that is for the benefit of a few, and not for the whole.

As an admin at New Element I felt that I should explain what we are about.

Some would say we are elitist, and to a certain extent, we are, but that doesn't mean we are egotistical and aren't friendly.

Our slice of the RCT Community does indeed pride itself on producing quality releases, but we also pride ourselves on having a large number of members from every corner of the world, all at different skill levels, all playing the game for fun, all posting feedback on each other's parks. This is what we are about, this is what we are here for, to be a large, friendly forum dedicated to the game.

Certain aspects of our site can be portrayed as elitist, because at one point in our 10 year history that is what we considered ourselves to be, but time moves on, and whilst our ambitions and goals change, our history becomes tradition, so things stay the same, which is the reason behind our 'policies'.

Throughout our history we have awarded parks of high standard with acolades, which have changed over the years but currently reside as Bronze, Silver, Gold, Spotlight & Design. This is the backbone of our site. We feel that by awarding acolades and points, we aren't creating an elitist attitude, but rewarding those who clearly have skill in the game. This provides a lot of members with inspiration and aspiration, therefore improving their own abilities so that they themselves can recieve an acolade.

The reasoning behind not allowing previously released parks to be given an acolade is because of the effort our members put in to providing each release with a full scale aerial, a website banner, a logo and a park review. All of which take time from our volunteers.

It doesnt state anywhere on our site that people can't release their park anywhere else after, and those that don't want to recieve an acolade have every right to post their release anywhere else before NE.

We aren't against TPR in anyway whatsoeverr, we are one community at the end of the day, just split over several sites, it would be great to see TPR members joining NE just as its great to see NE members here at TPR.

I would like to stress to everyone, that before judging our site on what we seem to be, join up and find out for yourself what we are about. We are simply a free to join forum dedicated to celebrating one of the best PC games of all time.

Louis!

I think another small issue with this is not the site itself, but some of it's members who are also TPR members.

I constantly see "Is this on NE? Are you going for an acolade?" or things to that extent. Unfortunately, along with those comments, I often see very hash, attacking and non-constructive critisism accociated with several NE/TPR crossovers, that have left a bad taste in my mouth.

I'm not going to point fingers, all I wish to say is that NE is projected as an elitist site partly because of how some of its members behave here. It's not all of the crossovers, but there are one or two that often put NE in a bad light.

That's all I have to say on the matter.

^What members are you referring to? I don't see any NE members here that are overtly harsh, or even at the same level of criticism as a tougher NEer. Myself, nin, Liampie, Coupon, DJBrace, MeMeMe, tdub, Insanity, and brataz are all people who're contributing members to discussions of both sites, and I haven't seen any of them be rude in any way. In fact, DJBrace is a mod, and he and Coupon seem to hold down RCT2 very nicely here.

We really want to welcome people with open arms, so please just know that those isolated incidents aren't reflective of NE as a whole. Every forum has its jackasses and rude members, but no forum/community should be dismissed on them alone.

As an admin at New Element I felt that I should explain what we are about.

Some would say we are elitist, and to a certain extent, we are, but that doesn't mean we are egotistical and aren't friendly.

Our slice of the RCT Community does indeed pride itself on producing quality releases, but we also pride ourselves on having a large number of members from every corner of the world, all at different skill levels, all playing the game for fun, all posting feedback on each other's parks. This is what we are about, this is what we are here for, to be a large, friendly forum dedicated to the game.

Certain aspects of our site can be portrayed as elitist, because at one point in our 10 year history that is what we considered ourselves to be, but time moves on, and whilst our ambitions and goals change, our history becomes tradition, so things stay the same, which is the reason behind our 'policies'.

Throughout our history we have awarded parks of high standard with acolades, which have changed over the years but currently reside as Bronze, Silver, Gold, Spotlight & Design. This is the backbone of our site. We feel that by awarding acolades and points, we aren't creating an elitist attitude, but rewarding those who clearly have skill in the game. This provides a lot of members with inspiration and aspiration, therefore improving their own abilities so that they themselves can recieve an acolade.

The reasoning behind not allowing previously released parks to be given an acolade is because of the effort our members put in to providing each release with a full scale aerial, a website banner, a logo and a park review. All of which take time from our volunteers.

It doesnt state anywhere on our site that people can't release their park anywhere else after, and those that don't want to recieve an acolade have every right to post their release anywhere else before NE.

We aren't against TPR in anyway whatsoeverr, we are one community at the end of the day, just split over several sites, it would be great to see TPR members joining NE just as its great to see NE members here at TPR.

I would like to stress to everyone, that before judging our site on what we seem to be, join up and find out for yourself what we are about. We are simply a free to join forum dedicated to celebrating one of the best PC games of all time.

Louis!

Thank you Louis for coming over and putting forth some effort into this, I personally appreciate it quite a bit...

One of the factors I've dealt with over some of the views of NE is from a handful of joint members here at TPR and at NE who don't exactly treat people with respect; that is, I have been building parks for 14 years in RCT/RCT II (Yes, I can hear the scream, RCT II was 02, get over it everybody!) and have had nothing but bad connotations over some of these people's efforts to berate people. I do NOT want anybody to think I'm trying to trash NE at -all-. It is the immature behaviour of a handful of people that have tainted my views- and their open expression of total disregard to myself- and to other people.

I have -no- problems with NE at all; in fact, it's good to have such a site, and with some good explanation, I've got a better view over it; I can understand the aspects of time put into each park's creation (The logo, etc. being made by volunteers- that's pretty much the same thing here, as far as dressing people's posts and correcting errors).

I wanted to get a good explanation for the rules of the site, and while I don't think I'd post there (Once again, this is NOT against NE or pro TPR- it's something that a handful of joint members between both sites have broadcast to me, since I don't fully meet their qualifications) I can understand the justifications- I might not fully agree with it, but I was looking for more transparency/clarity towards the rules and related. I can hope in the future NE and TPR can work together on joint projects for the benefit of both sites, as I sort of think that would be something pretty amazing.

EDIT:

I think another small issue with this is not the site itself, but some of it's members who are also TPR members.

I constantly see "Is this on NE? Are you going for an acolade?" or things to that extent. Unfortunately, along with those comments, I often see very hash, attacking and non-constructive critisism accociated with several NE/TPR crossovers, that have left a bad taste in my mouth.

I'm not going to point fingers, all I wish to say is that NE is projected as an elitist site partly because of how some of its members behave here. It's not all of the crossovers, but there are one or two that often put NE in a bad light.

That's all I have to say on the matter.

That's sort of the problem I'm trying to address as well- not only with our own TPR members, but as a general thing; I'm disappointed with the behavior of some of our TPR members here in the Games Forum- and some of their actions end up giving NE a bad name- and that's something I -never- want to see a TPR member do.

Edited by QueerRudie

very hash, attacking and non-constructive critisism

I can assure you that just because some thing is attacking does not mean it isn't constructive. Every comment I've seen that says "You could do better/It would be better if you..." are all constructive and it's up to the builder if they want to listen to it. Have you seen the elongated reviews Dotrobot posts on nearly every one of my screens? It can be harsh sometimes, but there is no way one could think that to be non-constructive....as with all the other "crossovers".

Edited by braztaz

Rudie, you bring up an excellent point about members. NE once was fairly elitist, back when we had some competition from other RCT communities in the early noughties, before I even joined. However, considering RCT has been around for 14 years (player for all of them as well, haha), it's, well, obsolete in today's ADD-generated attitude towards all things new. Now, we just want anyone who can still appreciate the game for what it is, and we pride ourselves on finding ways to advance the game an its output 14 years after it was created. Those who think that RCT ability means some sort of superiority may be those arrogant assholes that taint reputations, but for us at NE, we see RCT as a game for fun, like you do here; the only difference is that we convey our fun in different ways.

very hash, attacking and non-constructive critisism

I can assure you that just because some thing is attacking does not mean it isn't constructive. Every comment I've seen that says "You could do better/It would be better if you..." are all constructive and it's up to the builder if they want to listen to it. Have you seen the elongated reviews Dotrobot posts on nearly every one of my screens? It can be harsh sometimes, but there is no way one could think that to be non-constructive....as with all the other "crossovers".

Very well said, Jake. Both sites have their ways of criticism, but it's up to the builder's discretion to take it or not. Had I not taken some, My first park here would not be where it stands now (almost finished, by the way) without the push from both sites, so I don't see why both communities can't coexist together.

while I don't think I'd post there (Once again, this is NOT against NE or pro TPR- it's something that a handful of joint members between both sites have broadcast to me, since I don't fully meet their qualifications

Since you don't fully meet our qualifications?

Again, I'd like to point out that you don't have to be an incredible RCTer to be a member and contributer to RCT. There are a lot of incredibly skilled members at NE, but there are also those that play the game for fun, or like to recieve tips etc. I'll pick out Robbie as an example here, 3 years ago when he joined the site, he wasn't the amazing RCTer he is today, however he has grown in his skill, and I'm sure that the members NE have helped him along the way. Now he is one of our more established members, his attitude hasn't changed one bit, he is still the same Robbie that joined 3 years ago, just a tab bit more skilled and knowledgable.

There once was a time when NE was intimidating, I was intimidated back in the day and lurked from the very beginning until I felt 'worthy' to join, but those times have gone. We aren't here to be elite, you don't have to be outstanding at the game to be a member, you just have to love the game.

I advise everyone who feels slightly intimidated by feedback and RCT-related attitude on NE to take it with a grain of salt, don't let it discourage you to post or sign up at NE. I know everyone is more than welcome on NE, regardless of how good your skills are.

Partly I think I see a lot of people posting up pictures and then saying go to NE to download the park- and that's something that does bug me. I want us to have a thriving community- and I love the idea of people posting parks here, there and everywhere- it's good for the game. However, don't simply link to another site just because you're not allowed to post it here- that's just not fair to us.

You're referring to me. Every time I release a park I post it on this forum too; however I don't see the point of uploading the parks on this site as well as it's easier to have it just at one place and post the link; the download is open for everyone anyway. It has got nothing do with not being allowed to upload it here, that'd be ridiculous, just laziness.

Some are just more friendly than others. Take me, for example. I possess absolutely no ego whatsoever and welcome all new members to NE with open arms...regardless of their apparent mental capacity, vocabulary or skill level.