TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Anyone else like this.....

I hit age 40 this year....and have always been a huge theme park geek.

Raising my kids to be one as well.....and it's so fun to share as a family.

However, my body is changing, and I can't do what I used to.

Monday, I went to 6 Flags and while my kids rode everything, I was the dad on the bench holding the bags, patiently waiting.

For coasters, I only rode DDDive, Goliath, GASM and Mindbender.

I made a conscious decision to skip Scorcher, Batman, DMT, Ninja and Superman.

Instead, I sat, watched people, enjoyed the music, the sounds, the sights...it was a wonderful day.

Of course I did Monster Mansion, antique cars, the train, sky cars, etc.

Basically, a day of ease without worrying about hitting each ride, and skipping the forceful rides.

And it felt different, just a calm and relaxing day at the park.

When the day came to a close, I wasn't even beat tired.

I think my body is telling me it's time to take this new approach.

Anyone else "turned the corner" yet?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know what you mean. Of course, I'm only in high school, but about a week ago, my friend who broke his leg needed a wheelchair. It became too much of a hassle getting on and off rides, finding where we needed to enter and exit, etc...so after a couple rides we just found a seat, sat down and just talked and enjoyed the sights. My legs weren't even tired, and it was one of the most fun we've had at the park all year.

Nice to hear.....I used to laugh at people who "wasted" even a second at a park, as I would go from coaster to coaster and not come up for air.

Not sure if I like the fact that my body doesn't respond the way it used to re: forces on coasters, but I'm thrilled to know I can still enjoy parks just as much.

Here's to another 40 great years of going to the parks.

Yes, I totally understand where you're coming from. Though I can still handle the rides I don't really power ride like I used to. I get just as much enjoyment seeing the sights, the landscape, and people having a good time as I do riding. I've also noticed that I wear myself out a lot quicker than I did just a few years ago so I'm trying to adapt to taking my time and not rush between rides.

I did something similar to this on my trip to Carowinds earlier this year on a Saturday with heavy crowds expected. I hit most of the majors leaving out Vekoma's finest flyer, the mouse, and the kiddies. I then found a nice tree across the pond from Vekoma's finest, opened a $4 bottle of Powerade and enjoyed the park for a good 45 minutes and enjoyed every minute of it. After leaving for a bit and then grabbing the other credz, towards the end of the night I did something similar. I found a bench, sat down and enjoyed the park lit up while texting someone for a good thirty minutes. Doing just that made it much more enjoyable for me, maybe I should do it more often.

I turned 40 this year as well. Yea, my body ain't what it used to be. I tend to sit out almost all spin-n-pukes now, as well as rougher coasters. It's been a while since I stayed at a park from open to close also. I want to do a TPR trip eventually, but when I do finally get to do it, I might be the purse holder a lot. LOL

I've always been more of a "park person" than a "ride person." I far more enjoy taking it easy at a park and just hanging out. I don't ever feel the need to ride EVERY SINGLE COASTER AND RIDE during every visit. Especially if it's a park I've been to many times before. I'll ride my "favorite" rides, and just it easy the rest of the day.

When it's a park I've never been to before, I'll get it all the rides that I want to hit, as quickly as I can, and then take it easy.

Although lately it seems that we are hitting fewer and fewer parks we've never been to and it's nice not to have to rush through a park.

It's great just sitting back and taking in an amusement park the way they were originally intended. I never really saw the need to go to parks with tons of coasters. It's always better taking a trip to a small little place with atmosphere and actually enjoying yourself. My friends all call me a nerd (as they should!) but I'm always observing support structures, studying simple ride mechanics, pointing out new simple additions, meddling with harnesses (before the all clear!), pointing out all the tricks, and stopping and staring for a couple minutes at the landscaping or so called 'signature shots.' Sometimes I actually wish lines would be longer!

Of course I'm a thrill seeker at heart, but I'm always careful to take a step back and just go aah!

I always enjoy the overall experience of being in an amusement park just as much as the coasters. To me there's a lot of appeal about being inside an environment where the people around you are having fun and enjoying themselves. I also find the aesthetics of an amusement parks to be quite enchanting. There's a lot of beauty, and creativity involved in the construction of such places. The only thing that sometimes sucks is that summer weather though! If it's too hot and humid, it can diminish my overall experience on that particular day. Anyways, I feel like I'm where I should naturally be when I'm inside an amusement park.

As time goes on I actually find myself less interested in both riding and visiting parks. There are just plenty of other things I would rather do. If I'm travelling and there is a park nearby that I've never been to or am especially fond of (the two Busch parks are pretty much the extent of the latter), and time permits, I'll dip my toes for a few hours. When this does happens, it's almost exclusively to catch a few rides. Despite all that, I still like keeping up with the industry through websites like this and those like it.

Edited by Ed Farmer

I've learned that with having small children now, I am having to take this approach. It hasn't been easy though since I have always been one to ride as much as possible without taking a moment to rest. It has been a rough learning curve for me (especially our last visit to Orlando) but I think I am actually starting to like the layed back approach as well.

Edited by ernierocker

I guess I'm the exception to the rule. Even though I'll be 59 this year, I can't get enough rides! This year I've ridden more rides than ever, and my first summer has just started. I've ridden 1447 this year, and I'm on my PA / NJ coastercation. I guess I'm going through my second childhood. I can't get enough.. My TPR screen name says it all!!!

I do choose my rides wisely (no spin & pukes or rough rides). I love to hit 25 - 30 (or more) rides a day. So far this warm weather is keeping people away so I can ride. My goal is 2K and with the TPR trips (Bizarro Bash & Deep South) and my job travels it's doable!

For me it really depends on the park. At pretty much every Disney park I have ever been to I will take advantage of shows or especially street entertainment like the bands on main street and New Orleans square or something like the Dapper Dans. Even now and then I will just sit there and just take in the atmosphere from a bench or something like that. Of course, the good part about Disneyland is if I am feeling like I want a rest I will take a few circuits on the train... which is more my style of relaxation because I am still on a ride, but I can relax and look around.

However there are certain times... mainly special events... where I don't chill AT ALL. During ERT I will never ever stop for a break... it's limited time only and I want to get as many rides in as possible... and to do this I must haul ASS because it's an awesome privilege. Also if I am at a Haunt event I really do try to do every house I possibly can. I am actually sort of a haunt snob as I have a very specific rule... no riding til we experience everything that's haunted... unless the haunted attraction is a "altered" ride. At these events especially although I am in a rush I notice a lot of details like characters and scenery which add to the ambiance of a haunted area. In addition I try to take in all additional details in a que or in the house itself because a guy jumping out will always startle me... but the ambiance and atmosphere is really what makes a good haunted attraction.

In my last three trips to Valleyfair! I have only ridden 13 rides in around 20 park hours. I find that just walking around the park, chatting with employees and talking about the parks future can really kill an entire day before you know it.

I also think the Flash Pass system can help. Normally visiting a park for the first time warrents some serious running around, but not when you have time to kill before riding each attraction. Even parks with double digit coasters can still be enjoyed without the need to be husstling around.

My entire family is like this, so I'm usually the person hitting the rides non-stop. For parks I've visited before I'll ride the coasters and rides I like, though if there's short lines I marathon them. (I've done Sonic Twister at Galaxyland fifteen times in a row before.) I'm more of a ride person because I'll only stop if I'm feeling sick or if I've done everything I've wanted to do. In a new park I need to do all the rides.

In the Disney parks I'll take it slow since there's a lot of atmosphere and the thrill rides are spaced fairly far apart. Still dislike going to shows and eating and all if I haven't done all the rides though. :/

I just turned 29 I still can ride the coasters but in 2004 Triple Play at CGA ended the spinny rides for me. But I want to stay a theme park geek for as long as I can. I still have fun with any coaster(as long as it doesn't spin), water rides, water slides. There are some spinny type rides I can go on however: Disneyland Tea Cups, Celebration Swings CGA, Beserker CGA. I'd like to try Endavor at CGA since I've only been on it twice but I'm not sure if my body can take the rocking. I suppose I should try Tiki Twril first. I am trying to inch back slowly into the spinny rides. Does anyone here think I should try Endavor? I am nervous to try it I don't want to puke during the ride! That would be embarrassing!!! Or should I try Tiki Twril or Delirum first? Or just completely forget it?

I'm usually a power rider. I'll marathon any coaster - old or new, kid-friendly or thrilling, a new credit or a credit already received, whatever. However, I visited SeaWorld San Antonio today thinking I wouldn't see any shows. My original plans were to power ride all the coasters, eat, make a photo lap, and that's about it. However, I took a new approach and took my time in every area. I didn't make a lap specifically for photos; instead I took photos as I walked. And I wound up seeing 4 or 5 shows! It was the most fun I've had at a park in a good while. While I'll probably still take my old approach most of the time in the future, I'll have to make a break every once in a while and just take my time enjoying the park the ENTIRE time and not just after I get the credits.