TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Stories from a Theme Park Insider

As an ex-Disney cast member myself, I love books like these! Check this one out...

Amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005CK59EU

Barnes & Noble: http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Stories-from-a-Theme-Park-Insider/Robert-Niles/e/2940012864321

Product Description

What time is the 3:00 parade? Why does a child need to be 40 inches tall to ride a roller coaster? What happens when the president of France gets lost inside Pirates of the Caribbean?

A former employee, or "cast member", at Walt Disney World's Magic Kingdom answers these and other questions while sharing humorous stories about working inside the world's most popular theme park.

"Stories from a Theme Park Insider" takes you inside the park's famous tunnels and backstage for a look at how theme parks really work, and the funny moments and embarrassments that can happen when your work is someone else's vacation.

You can download a sample chapter from Theme Park Insider:

http://www.themeparkinsider.com/stories/stories-from-a-theme-park-insider-sample.pdf

Edited by robbalvey

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Enjoyed the excerpt from the book! Although, I could of swore I had read that name-tag story before, perhaps I came across a blog he had written about it.

I'll probably buy this later tonight.

Edited by ernierocker

^ Yeah, a lot of his stories was when we worked together at Disneyland in the late 80s. Funny how the both of us, total Disney nerds at the time (Jedimaster1227 would be jealous), and then we both ended up working on theme park website projects! We still keep in touch. Met up with him at WDW when we were in Orlando for IAAPA last year.

^ Funny, I just emailed Robert and asked him the same question. But mine was more how I'm just so fascinated how the E-Book is quickly taking over! For example, on one of my recent flights, I remember walking down the aisle and seeing just how many iPad and Kindles I saw, and how few actual hard copy books. The stats geek in me would love to know how this has affected book sales, opened up new opportunities to indie writers, as I notice more and more people who I don't recall ever seeing them reading an actual "book", but I see them reading on their tablet.

--Robb

^ Funny, I just emailed Robert and asked him the same question. But mine was more how I'm just so fascinated how the E-Book is quickly taking over! For example, on one of my recent flights, I remember walking down the aisle and seeing just how many iPad and Kindles I saw, and how few actual hard copy books. The stats geek in me would love to know how this has affected book sales, opened up new opportunities to indie writers, as I notice more and more people who I don't recall ever seeing them reading an actual "book", but I see them reading on their tablet.

--Robb

I'm sure I'm one of the last remaining people to be going the e-book route - I think most books are coming out in this format first and foremost now, or so it seems. I have no problem with e-books, I love the idea of being able to immediately download a book... the only reason I can think of that I don't own a Nook, Kindle, or even a tablet, is that I don't read enough to warrant having it... I should though, haha. I agree with your point about indie writers, it's a great thing for more stuff to be available, especially niche stuff like this.

dougstanton - I didn't see that option, thanks!

Wow, I'm going to purchase this book ASAP.

About e-books, I will never purchase an e-book or never purchase an e-book for a long, long time. I like real, hard books, they won't break when you drop it and I enjoy the massive books that you can buy at Borders that has super-huge pics that e-books can't deliver. E-books are the future but just go to the library and get a book for free for a week instead of getting a e-book and purchasing a book you might only read for a week then get bored of it.

I don't have a Kindle or Nook, so I probably won't be getting this (at least not anytime soon). However, I remember reading quite a few of these stories on his website, themeparkinsider.com (which is the other theme park site I use frequently). They used to get posted there once per week or every other week for about a two year period, but stopped around a year ago. Many of them are quite humorous, and they really show what goes on behind the scenes working as a cast member. If I ever get something for e-books, or it comes out as a normal book, however, I will definitely get a copy.

its funny how a few years ago pundits were complaining that computers were going to cause kids and adults as well to not be as good in reading skills. Now with kindle and the others, reading a book is easier than ever, and in most cases cheaper too.