TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

My family lives in Cleveland, Ohio and we're trying to figure out which park is the best to go to for a vacation. We've narrowed it down and the choices are Kings Island, Kings Dominion, Michigan's Adventure, and Dorney Park. We've looked at all the rides each one has and how long it would take to get to each one (mileage). I could use some TPR input on which would be the best. Which park is worth taking the time to go to of these four? "Note: We've already been to Kings Island but not any of the others; however we are still considering KI.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I305 is reason enough to pick King's Dominion. That said, it is also the farthest away from Cleveland. I don't know how long your family will be vacationing for, but if you had the time, you could also visit Busch Gardens Williamsburg which would be about 1 1/2 hours away from KD. You would also be 1 1/2 hours from Washington DC if your family wanted to visit there.

I'm guessing from your park options that you have some sort of Cedar Fair pass? If that's the case and the main reason for these, I would say Kings Dominion would be your best bet for amount and variety of rides, but is also probably the farthest away. If you have other options besides those 4 parks, Busch Gardens, Six Flags Great Adventure, Holiday World, Hersheypark or Kennywood all offer better coasters and are just a little bit farther away from your original destination options if not closer.

Intimidator 305 and Volcano are the best 2 there, and they're also amongst the best in the country. Rebel Yell is pretty similar to Racer at KI, Anaconda is comparable to Vortex, and FOF is the same exact thing at both parks. Avalanche is the only Mack bobsled in all of North America, the other 2 woodies aren't horrible, and the standup will probably hurt. Plus you'll get the chance to say hi to some old rides from Geauga Lake like Dominator, the Ferris Wheel, and El Dorado. Richmond isn't too far to the south and DC about an hour to the north, so there's other things to do besides just the parks if your family so desires.

^ We have platinum passes. How good are the coasters at Kings Dominion?

KD has got a world-class coaster (almost worth the trip on it's own, i305!), some very good, unique coasters (Volcano, Dominator), great woodies (Grizzly, Rebel Yell, Hurler) but some not so great ones (Shockwave, Anaconda). Don't forget about Drop Tower!

Dorney has no coasters that are really worth travelling a long distance, though they have a nice Morgan hyper and a fun Invert. But it only takes a couple hours to get all the rides in,m unless you go to the water park.

I haven't heard much about Michigan's Adventure.

Hope this helps!

As much as I like Dorney, I agree with everyone else it that it probably isn't the park to go to. Without the waterpark, you can easily ride all the coasters and the major flats in under 3 hours most days while the waterpark is open. I have been able to ride Talon, Hydra, Thunderhawk, Possessed and Steel Force in under an hour before which is fine for spending a few hours at your home park but not as a destination park.

KD would be my pick as well, I've been to all the rest save for Dorney. KI is really fun, and MA has a great ride in Shivering Timber's, but it's more of a home park or a bridge park than it is a destination. That said, Wisconsin Dells, Indiana Beach, and Six Flags Great America are all relatively close.

So I guess Dorney Park is out. It seems that Michigan's Adventure would be next in line to be out. From where I live, Kings Island is the closest and Kings Dominion is the farthest. Even though I wouldn't mind going to Kings Island just because it's closer, it seems as though Kings Dominion would be a better place to go because of their collection of rides. Comparing each other, how much better is KD than KI? And is it really THAT much better than KI that we'd spend 8 hours driving vs. 4? I mean, they both have a Backlot coaster AND FoF...as well as Rebel Yell is pretty similar to Racer and Anaconda is comparable to Vortex...

305 is worth the trip. As much as it hurts me to say this, KD is the best choice you have there. Dorney and KI are nothing special, and I've never been to MiA, but I've never really heard anything spectacular about it. Volcano, Dominator, and Grizzly are nice complimentary rides to 305. Had 305 not been built, I would tell you to spend the extra money and go to Kennywood or Hersheypark.

I absolutely loved KI when I went last year, but I have to agree that Intimidator 305 really pushes KD above KI- especially if you've already been to KI.

I would actually put Vortex as better than Anaconda, but Anaconda is still an interesting ride. Intimidator blows Diamondback out of the water. Volcano is a good ride, and from what I understand KD's Crypt is much better than KI's. Dominator is a good ride that's different from anything at KI. Avalanche is a cool little ride as well. I do find Hurler and Grizzly to be a waste of time, but the other rides make up for it.

The only other factor would be if you cared about the kiddy sections, where KI is definitely superior.

Grizzly to be a waste of time

Ride in the back car at night and then come back and say this.

Will do (ride it, I mean)- the downfall of always going with (more or less) GP friends is by the time we get to Grizzly, I'm just hoping they keep riding, and have stayed near the front to not aggravate anyone's head too much.

Is there any way to make Hurler better? (and I've already tried the back)

KI and KD are very similar parks. But what it seems it comes down to is Diamondback vs I305. And 99 out of 100 people will tell you I305. So I will be one of the 99 people and say KD. Plus the KI FoF sucked and the KD one is supposed to be way better. And since you have a Platinum Pass and you go on a Wedensday you can use the "Walk on Wedensday".

Hope this helps. Have fun!

KI and KD are very similar parks. But what it seems it comes down to is Diamondback vs I305. And 99 out of 100 people will tell you I305. So I will be one of the 99 people and say KD. Plus the KI FoF sucked and the KD one is supposed to be way better. And since you have a Platinum Pass and you go on a Wedensday you can use the "Walk on Wedensday".

Hope this helps. Have fun!

Without even comparing the two (since I've never been on KD's FoF), KI's FoF isn't the best coaster; kinda rough. What is the "Walk on Wednesday"?

I would ride in the front and hope for the best.

As for which park, I would go with KD too. The combo of I-305, Volcano, and Dominator is just too good to pass up. While KI has the better Arrow coaster in Vortex and woodies in the Beast and Racer, KD has the better overall collection of steel .

I would ride in the front and hope for the best.

Nope, tried the front too. Firewood sounds like the way to go!

I actually agree that KD's Flight of Fear is better, as well as Backlot Stunt Coaster. Both seemed smoother than their Ohio counterparts, and more exciting somehow. I didn't want to say anything since they are clones, and it's not a huge difference.

I also want to know what Walk-On Wednesday is...

]Without even comparing the two (since I've never been on KD's FoF), KI's FoF isn't the best coaster; kinda rough. What is the "Walk on Wednesday"?

I'm not really sure, but what it sounds like is Platinum Pass holders get a "front of the line" pass to certain rides. I think I remember reading about I305, Dominator, and Drop Tower being on the Walk on Wednesday menu.

Of your choices I'd pick Kings Dominion even though it's been about seven years since I've been there. If you can swing it don't miss a day at Busch Gardens.

Having been to Dorney, the park is generally dead with everyone in the water park so you'll get all your rides in within a few hours. Just like with Kings Dominion if you can swing it I would recommend a day at Hersheypark, which is about 1.5 hours from Dorney or Six Flags Great Adventure, which is about 2 hours away.