• Floorless
    • Floored
    • I honestly don't care

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I preferred the sit-down version with the floor. Floorless is gimmicky to me and unless you are in the front row you don't get the floorless effect.

What do you mean? There's still no floor in all of the other rows. What effect do you think is missing?

I preferred the sit-down version with the floor. Floorless is gimmicky to me and unless you are in the front row you don't get the floorless effect.

I wouldn't say you don't get it at all, but it's certainly not nearly as strong.

I don't find the floorless effect "Scary" I find it better enhances my view and overall ride experience.

Both are fun. I enjoy the feeling of my legs floating freely and the wind whipping through them. In most cases I can wear sandals and then I can really air out my feet LOL

I think calling it a gimmic is a bit...douchy? Its a different experience and I dont think its meant for the front to feel like the back. You dont really need to SEE theres no floor to know its not there. For a lot of people in the general public, just knowing there is no floor removes a layer of security from their minds, increasing the fun/scare factor and for that, it serves its purpose.

To be honest, I think I prefer the floorless simply because of the overall increased wind flow throughout the whole car.

That and lets be REALLY honest here, the removal of the floor in both floorless and floorless dive machines could be one of the coolest ways to start your ride. Especially the dive machines.

I prefer the floorless coasters because its not as if they detract from the ride at all, so why not build a floorless instead of a regular sitdown coaster? I think rides like Kraken and Bizarro demonstrate that floorless coasters can kick all kinds of a$$.

I prefer the floorless coasters because its not as if they detract from the ride at all, so why not build a floorless instead of a regular sitdown coaster? I think rides like Kraken and Bizarro demonstrate that floorless coasters can kick all kinds of a$$.

I mean, Just because a ride is floorless, doesn't change any heartlining, and really allows for the same types of elements of any other b&m looper. if anything it allows for more cheap exploits suck as a water mist spraying through the track or a cool flame effect (Neither of those have been used but it would be really cool) or any other type of gimmick to pop through the tracks or even a saw blade that just barely passes under the chassis of the train. But that would really just be a front row exploit.

I mean, Just because a ride is floorless, doesn't change any heartlining, and really allows for the same types of elements of any other b&m looper. if anything it allows for more cheap exploits suck as a water mist spraying through the track or a cool flame effect (Neither of those have been used but it would be really cool) or any other type of gimmick to pop through the tracks or even a saw blade that just barely passes under the chassis of the train. But that would really just be a front row exploit.

I think the heartlining is actually slightly different. I believe the floored trains, the riders sit 6in lower or so. Im trying to remember the NoLimits calculations and they modeled the trains using blueprints. Im prett sure though you sit higher on Floorless. But its not by a whole lot.

Also Robb... LOL

I'm in the same thinking as Jakizle. I really don't see much of a difference in the ride with or without the floor. If you are in the front its better because you can see the track, but we usually like to ride in the back row so the whole effect is pretty much for not.

Jake hit one of the reasons why I "honestly don't care" is that I don't feel there is even a fair comparison out there to make. Like he said, most of the floored B&Ms are more "old school" when they were making more intense rides - Kumba, Hulk, Dragon Khan, etc, and the floorless coasters seem to lack a lot of that punch.

The only way I'd really be able to compare if a ride like Kumba, for example, one day converted to a floorless train.

SheiKra did this, but to be honest, since the original floored train had the seats a bit elevated anyway, your feet never really hit the floor during the ride on that coaster, so the floorless train made little difference to me, other than visually.

From what I recall from the backstage tour at BGW on TPR Day, Griffon is floorless due to a "weight" issue. The park wanted larger trains than Sheikra (30 vs. 24 riders), and the only way to do that was to make them floorless; otherwise, the trains would've been too heavy.

Edited by cfc

If I had to rate, my two favorite B&M sitdown loopers would be Kumba followed by Dark Knight/Dominator. I'd imagine Dragon Khan would be 1a to Kumba had I ridden it, but can't say.

That said, the 1st Generation sitdowns seem to give a more intense ride for the most part, and not simply because of the infamous "B&M went soft" line of reasoning. It was mentioned that the floorless rides seat you higher than Kumba/D. Khan/Hulk. Wildfire has a 2nd Generation sitdown train (almost like a floorless train with a floor or Megacoaster train with OTSRs), and I was pretty underwhelmed by the ride.

I mean, Just because a ride is floorless, doesn't change any heartlining, and really allows for the same types of elements of any other b&m looper.

Actually the heartline of a floorless coaster is about 20 cm higher than a normal sitdown looper, with the exception of Wildfire. And yes I did just use my NoLimits knowledge there.

I honestly don't care. They're both great types.

EDIT: I see Real beat me to it by a lot. I missed that post entirely.