TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Planned but Cancelled

Funny all the planned, but never built concepts you hear in chat.

Fiesta Texas planned a dive coaster to be built off one of the cliffs. The land was being cleared before that was shot down.

GAdv was supposed to get a custon Tatsu-sized flyer, but had problems with the water table. A lot of other plans were shot down by Jackson township because the township is strict with tree-removal. Projects that did get built were narrowly voted in by the township.

Yeah, the Tatsu-like Flyer would have been awesome, and it would have had a Manta-like splashdown onto the lake next to the fort and El Toro. They instead had to go with S:UF . I wonder if they would have still built El Toro(under a different name and such) somewhere else as the flyer was supposed to be on El Toro's current site.

Another planned but cancelled project was a plan to make Gadv the best park in the world that started under Premeir Parks in 2005. Every year, the park would have rethemed another section up to the caliber of the Golden Kingdom and added at-least one major attraction to the area when they did it! In 2007, the park would have also built a Fort Wilderness-esque hotel next to Kingda Ka. It was quite literally the first thing Shapiro cut when he got into office, and most of the "icing" from Plaza Del Carnival was cut as well.

Kingda Ka and El Toro were only the beginning. But had the plan been done, SF probably wouldn't exist anymore.

The one plan that I always thought was interesting that was shot down by Jackson Township was having Superman go out over the lake in the back of the park. I am not sure of the reasoning for it (perhaps some tree removal, or perhaps they were skittish in having supports in the water, I'm just assuming). However, it left Great Adventure in a bad spot, and that is why Superman is in the spot it is in today. The ride was ordered and being furnished at the time of the proposal, so when it was turned down by the Township, Great Adventure had no choice but to please the ride where it stands today.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Pipeline coaster actually did come to fruition at a remote little amusement park in Kuwait of all places, however, it is the only currently standing one and SBNO at that.

I'm confused. The 2 that were built were built by Intamin/Giovanola, not Arrow, which I thought coined the phrase "pipeline" as a model name. (Seems that RCDB and Wikipedia call this type of coaster "pipeline", but again, I thought that was the trademark name for Arrow's version. Togos were called Heartline coasters, if I remember correctly.)

Also, seems these rides were partially tire-driven, unlike ultra-twisters and Pipeline, which were gravity driven.

Anyone got any more definitive info on this?

EDIT:Typo

I may be wrong on this, but I heard that Kings Dominion was planning to build a massive wooden coaster, to the likes of SOB where i305 stands today...but due to the failure of the real ride, it never came to be. Thank god!

Do you recall the original plans for the HR retheme to a congo themed ride?The reason it was cancelled of course was because the movie bombed in theatres when it was released back in 1995.

I heard that they were planning Volcano back in 1993 and they removed all the rides from the mountain and closed the safari as well. It was originally going to be themed to Congo but those plans were scrapped as you said when the movie bombed. The ride would have been a floorless Pipeline coaster and KD originally asked B&M and Intamin to do the project. after Congo flopped, the name was going to be "Volcano: A Lava Chaser's Adventure"

I read about it on Shane's Amusement Attic, here's a link:

http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=40361&p=744464&hilit=Volcano#p744464

Back in 1987, Shockwave at six flags great america was originally planned for great adventure. It was going to be given the theme "Ninja" and a red and white paintjob just like MM's and the same merch and theme. But after Lightnin' Loops, declining attendance, and all the bad press, the ride went to SFGAm instead and SFGAv instead added more family rides in 1988 and removed the bobsled. They were compensated with GASM in 1989 which was improved upon even further an made taller so it could be a record holder (for what, a few weeks!? ). They had problems drawing crowd to the other rides with the ninja theme so they instead opted for a more generic name and borrowed the name from SFOG's woodie.

Also what about the planned Arrow Flying Turns for SFOT aroun 1980. Six flags removed the Big Bend speedracer in 1979 so the coaster could be built and Arrow had been working on the ride for a year or so. Arrow made a contract with six flags for 5 flying turns rides starting with SFOT. But as arrow continued testing the ride in california, they had problems controlling it and told six flags who cancelled the contract i think. Soon after, the job went to Intamin and that became the Savajero Bobsleds coasters.

Also, Big Bend was shipped to SFSTl after it was taken down in texas and they had plans to build the coaster. By the time the park finally could build the ride, it had rusted so much they couldn't use it so they scrapped it. It's always sad to see a Schwarzkopf coaster be demolished like that.

Great Adventure also leased, built, and assembled a Schwarzkopf Jumbo Jet in 1975 but never opened it. it was leased with several other rides in the fun fair section and the deal was the park could lease the rides and if they liked them they coul keep them. There is no known reason why it never opened. It was removed mid-season in 1975 and replaced with the Super Cat.

Wasn't Kings Dominion supposed to get Invertigo from CGA, since Kings Dominion, or even the state of Virginia, doesn't have any Boomerangs and has a lack of Inverts. But instead it went to Dorney Park, with 2 Inverts already and with a Boomerang Coaster at Hersheypark down the road

Oh, remembered another one. Jack Rabbit at Kennywood was originally going to be transformed into the T-bolt in 1967-1968 as it was the park's oldest coaster but they decided to remodel Pippin instead which is the ride we have today.

Also i can't belive no one posted this already, but what about BGE's Flungbahn from schwarzkopf? That i really would have liked to see. Hah, the more time i spend reading these-the more rides i remember that were neveer built!

Wasn't Kings Dominion supposed to get Invertigo from CGA, since Kings Dominion, or even the state of Virginia, doesn't have any Boomerangs and has a lack of Inverts. But instead it went to Dorney Park, with 2 Inverts already and with a Boomerang Coaster at Hersheypark down the road

I don't think so if I recall correctly.

Yeah, never heard of KD getting it. Though that would make a lot more sense.

The former owners of Michigan's Adventure (the Jourden family) had planned on building a 210ft hypercoaster in the early 2000s, and even had a height ordinance exemption for the ride, but the Cedar Fair buy-out stopped it. It was referenced in an m-live article in 2001, but the article is no longer live on the internet.

I was actually gonna mention this, glad I read through the post. I would have loved for a hyper to be at MiA.

Since they still have a lot of room for expansion, it's still not out of the question.

The former owners of Michigan's Adventure (the Jourden family) had planned on building a 210ft hypercoaster in the early 2000s, and even had a height ordinance exemption for the ride, but the Cedar Fair buy-out stopped it. It was referenced in an m-live article in 2001, but the article is no longer live on the internet.

I was actually gonna mention this, glad I read through the post. I would have loved for a hyper to be at MiA.

Since they still have a lot of room for expansion, it's still not out of the question.

That would make me so happy.

Screamscape had a rumor once about Mind-Eraser from GL going to the Park before Ending at Carowind's.

Grand Sierra Indoor Water Park, Reno NV. I cannot find an animation of it, but it was supposed to be one of the largest indoor parks in the country. Never happened. The area of which it was supposed to is now an ugly asphalt parking lot. The only other water park in town is esentially a couple water slides dotted around tarmac and gravel. You would think a place called "Wild Island" could do a little better.

Oh, remembered another one. Jack Rabbit at Kennywood was originally going to be transformed into the T-bolt in 1967-1968 as it was the park's oldest coaster but they decided to remodel Pippin instead which is the ride we have today.

I believe there were a LOT of ideas they came up with before finally settling on the Pippin (which was essentially a mirror image of the Jack Rabbit, only larger) to become the T-Bolt. I remember reading that demolishing the Racer was briefly considered, and building a coaster that utilized one of its lift hills. The park also worked with John Allen to plan an out-and-back ride along the hillside the train runs along, but Allen said there wouldn't be enough room without removing the train and a *very* large amount of pavilions, which were absolutely vital to the park's survival back then...they still play an important role today.

I don't know if this has been motioned but wasn't Hyper Sonic XLC originally planned for CGA, but got moved to KD at the last minute because of those darn neighbors?

CGA removed their railway in 1999 to make way for S&S's prototype model that operated at their factory (called Thrust Air 2000).

It was canceled due to noise complaints from neighbors I believe.

I don't know if this has been motioned but wasn't Hyper Sonic XLC originally planned for CGA, but got moved to KD at the last minute because of those darn neighbors?

CGA removed their railway in 1999 to make way for S&S's prototype model that operated at their factory (called Thrust Air 2000).

It was canceled due to noise complaints from neighbors I believe.

I Always thought it was sent to KD due to Stealth being added the year before. That's why they added several Family Rides to balance it out.