TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Planned but Cancelled

^

I Thought it was gonna be for Great America and Use the Pictorium Building?

Maybe that's the Proposed "Soundwave" Coaster

I am curious to know what you were referring to...

If my memory serves me correct i think it was a FOF clone themed to MTV with music playing and things like that.

Interesting. Never heard anything about that. I DID at one point in time hear they were going to tear it down; which would be sad seeing that it was at one time the largest IMAX screen in the US.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ MTV Soundwave was a Paramount park idea, not a SF one IIRC.

One concept I'd love to see get off the ground would be Beastly Kingdom.

Description

The legend of Beastly Kingdom (also spelled Beastlie Kingdomme) is often repeated in Disney circles. This project was planned for Disney's Animal Kingdom, and would have been a land themed around the animals of myth and legend, from dragons to unicorns.

Guests would have crossed the bridge from Discovery Island that currently serves Camp Minnie-Mickey, past the rock dragon head that Imagineers built as a teaser for the land they intended to build. Beastly Kingdom was intended for where the camp currently lies, built as a cheaper filler when Beastly Kingdom was axed. The charred armour of unsuccessful knights would have bordered the path, intermixed with broken swords and crumpled lances. The dragon head that currently occupies the riverbank near the entrance to Camp Minnie-Mickey would have instead given a glimpse at a real looking, fire breathing dragon - which was to have been a replica of the dragon underneath the castle at Disneyland Paris. The boat ride that originally sailed the river would have also given glimpses at a kraken, bubbling from beneath the water, and a unicorn drinking on the riverbank.

The land was heavily publicised for the park, with Disney releasing this description in preparation of the opening of the park:

Beastly Kingdom is the realm of make believe animals, animals that don't really exist, out of legends, out of fairy tales, out of storybooks. Like our legends and fair tales about imaginary animals, this land is divided into realms of good and realms of evil.

The evil side is dominated by DRAGON'S TOWER, a burned, wrecked castle inhabited by a greedy, fire breathing dragon. He hordes a fabulous treasure in his tower chamber. The castle is also inhabited by bats who speak to us from their upside down perches. The bats have a plan. They enlist our help trying to rob the dragon and fly us off on a wild chase. At last, we meet the fire-breathing dragon himself and barely escape un-barbecued.

The good side of this land is ruled by QUEST OF THE UNICORN. An adventure which sends us through a maze of medieval mythological creatures to seek the hidden grotto where the unicorn lives. There is also FANTASIA GARDENS. A gentle musical boat ride through the animals from Disney's animated classic, 'Fantasia.' Both the crocodiles and hippos from 'Dance of the Hours' and the Pegasus, fauns and centaurs from Beethoven's 'Pastoral' are found here.

Alternate plans suggest the dragon rollercoaster would have been called 'Dare the Dragon', and the labyrinth attraction took the alternate name 'Quest for the Unicorn'. In addition to these rides, guests would have found the Loch Ness Terrace, an outdoor eatery around a small pond where the feint sound of bagpipes would be heard in the distance, or the Mother Goose shop. A troll would have guarded the underneath of the entrance bridge.

Why Wasn't It Built?

Disney's Animal Kingdom was intended to celebrate three categories of animals - real, extinct and imaginary. The dragon on the parks logo was the biggest indication of this, as well as the unicorn parking lot. But until Expedition Everest was built and the Yeti made its east coast appearance, the imaginary animals were largely ignored. Because of the high cost of maintaining live animal exhibits in Africa and Asia, the Animal Kingdom team only had enough money left over for one more land - dinosaurs or dragons. Ultimately, they chose dinosaurs - primarily because of the impending release of Disney's CG animated film Dinosaur and the cross-promotion Michael Eisner wanted to employ to make a return.

Instead, Beastly Kingdom was moved to being a second-phase project, designed to give an extra kick to the park a couple of years after opening. In fact, having a place to come face to face with dragons and unicorns was responded to so well by surveyed guests, it was one of the reasons the entire animal park concept was greenlighted.

When it became apparent that Asia wouldn't be ready for the parks opening, Michael Eisner instructed the Imagineers to create a cheap, temporary land to supplement the park. Taking the plans for Mickey's Birthdayland, intended as a temporary land but later kept open as Mickey's Starland and then Mickey's Toontown Fair, the Imagineers designed Camp Minnie-Mickey for the land intended for Beastly Kingdom. They didn't have money for any major attractions however - which is why Festival of the Lion King uses the old floats from the Lion King parade.

Unfortunately, surveys done after the park opened showed that attendence numbers wouldn't increase enough with the new land to justify the cost. Camp Minnie-Mickey was kept as a permanent part of Disney's Animal Kingdom.

Legacy

Imagined animals eventually came to the Animal Kingdom with the opening of Expedition Everest. Joe Rohde, the parks chief designer, had designed the park to compete with Busch Gardens, replicating its combination of live animals and thrilling rollercoasters. The rollercoaster finally came to the park with Everest, rather than Dragon Mountain - no longer requiring the new land.

Most interestingly of all is this lands effect on a non-Disney park. After the Animal Kingdom project closed up, many of the Imagineers working on it were hired by Universal Studios to design Islands of Adventure, and many people say a number of the land concepts were carried across to contribute to the Lost Continent there.

Clicky

Oh, and DelGrosso's planned on rebuilding the Arrow Loop Screw from Libertyland but still hasn't done anything with it, other than supposedly putting it up for sale again.

DelGrosso's never actually planned to build this ride. They knew that they didn't have the land footprint to accommodate this ride. It was just too good of a deal to pass up, and they were hoping to use it as an investment sometime down the road. Of course, it is still in storage. They were hoping to have sold it by now, but don't mind it just sitting for now until the right buyer comes along.

I may be wrong on this, but I heard that Kings Dominion was planning to build a massive wooden coaster, to the likes of SOB where i305 stands today...but due to the failure of the real ride, it never came to be. Thank god!

Funny all the planned, but never built concepts you hear in chat.

Fiesta Texas planned a dive coaster to be built off one of the cliffs. The land was being cleared before that was shot down.

GAdv was supposed to get a custon Tatsu-sized flyer, but had problems with the water table. A lot of other plans were shot down by Jackson township because the township is strict with tree-removal. Projects that did get built were narrowly voted in by the township.

Yeah, the Tatsu-like Flyer would have been awesome, and it would have had a Manta-like splashdown onto the lake next to the fort and El Toro. They instead had to go with S:UF . I wonder if they would have still built El Toro(under a different name and such) somewhere else as the flyer was supposed to be on El Toro's current site.

Another planned but cancelled project was a plan to make Gadv the best park in the world that started under Premeir Parks in 2005. Every year, the park would have rethemed another section up to the caliber of the Golden Kingdom and added at-least one major attraction to the area when they did it! In 2007, the park would have also built a Fort Wilderness-esque hotel next to Kingda Ka. It was quite literally the first thing Shapiro cut when he got into office, and most of the "icing" from Plaza Del Carnival was cut as well.

Kingda Ka and El Toro were only the beginning. But had the plan been done, SF probably wouldn't exist anymore.

I believe that they are still doing that but tell will remake dino USA into that.

No. Beastly Kingdom was supposed to be where Camp Minnie Mickey is located. When Animal Kingdom opened they used to have an ride called-Discovery RiverBoat Tour (It had 3 different names during its short life) Discovery River Taxi and then

Radio Disney River Cruise.

Now there was one point on the ride where you would pass a few certain objects (located in the Camp Minnie Mickey Area)

Disney Imagineers put them in as a teaser for this so called new area, that was to be built.

cmmcavefire.jpg.5013d4c93580dfa83972795066fc58ba.jpg

FIRE!!!

The original concept art for this scene was.....

river_dragon.jpg.524bea30759bf6d0521450044caef2f7.jpg

Budget cuts killed this guy :(

Now you can still see this little tribute today....

cmmdragonstones.jpg.8b97afef0ea3f00b1e3856003e7bcda9.jpg

You can see this from the Camp Minnie Mickey Bridge.....

Maybe one day they will come back to it. Animal Kingdom needs a ride on that side of the park to draw guest over there. Camp Minnie Mickey is a total bore fest. (With the exception of Festival of the Lion King)

Maybe it was because I grew up in Virginia, but Disney's America sticks out in my mind the most. I remember watching Gov. George Allen talk it up, believing it could bring in billions of dollars in direct/indirect tax dollars. However, it was a pretty horrible idea from the start and was opposed immediately. They wanted to build it very close to famous battlefields. It also would have increased traffic and congestion in Northern Virginia which has been bad for decades. Anyone who's been to the NoVA/Washington D.C. area knows what I'm talking about.

The park was also battled with a lot of silly rumors and hearsay. There were rumors they would have to build a ride or exhibit about slavery which obviously didn't go over well. Plus nobody really wanted to go to theme park based on history anyway. It just didn't sound fun.

If I remember right, Disney wasn't particulary popular at the time anyway. Eisner was in charge and Disney had a real money grubbing reputation then. The project reeked of a money grab and showed a real misunderstanding of what people wanted and how they feel about American history, especially in Northern Virginia.

I may be wrong on this, but I heard that Kings Dominion was planning to build a massive wooden coaster, to the likes of SOB where i305 stands today...but due to the failure of the real ride, it never came to be. Thank god!

Do you recall the original plans for the HR retheme to a congo themed ride?The reason it was cancelled of course was because the movie bombed in theatres when it was released back in 1995.

The Pipeline coaster actually did come to fruition at a remote little amusement park in Kuwait of all places, however, it is the only currently standing one and SBNO at that.

This ride was actually built at the now defunct Lotte Sky Plaza in the Lotte Hotel Pusan, South Korea. It used to run along the wall of the indoor park and dive down into the diving turns at the end. Must have looked pretty good back then.

Stunt Flyer (Vekoma Hammerhead Stall) @ Fantasy Island.

Here's an old website dedicated to the doomed project.

Interestingly the exact same ride ended up at E-DA theme park in Taiwan this year. The prototype that was sat at the Vekoma facility has sat there all these years since the Fantasy Island debacle. And was finally built earlier this year. Looks like it got newer versions of the trains but apart from that it's the same ride.

Do you recall the original plans for the HR retheme to a congo themed ride?The reason it was cancelled of course was because the movie bombed in theatres when it was released back in 1995.

What's HR?

The Pipeline coaster actually did come to fruition at a remote little amusement park in Kuwait of all places, however, it is the only currently standing one and SBNO at that.

This ride was actually built at the now defunct Lotte Sky Plaza in the Lotte Hotel Pusan, South Korea. It used to run along the wall of the indoor park and dive down into the diving turns at the end. Must have looked pretty good back then.

Yeah, it actually did look impressive when it was indoors. Must have been very interesting to watch when it was in operation!

15jchah8u70h580ch80044.thumb.jpg.c4c6fa62931e3b357afb297c5dfe5921.jpg

4c400hi5a53ot24ku1i500.thumb.jpg.b9725e4350f3e0c983ce063d811a90f2.jpg

mbcah8u78h590chc0004ch.jpg.b8a851fe60f9503a264971c5e2d130a4.jpg

... So Dragon Mountain definitely got built...

But...

What about the extensive theming that only got partially started... volcano... animatronic dragon... more...

The theming on Dragon Mountain that was actually in early brochures (Niagara Falls/waterfall and the volcano).

yeah... about what he said from p. 2

any input there?

Oh, and with the planned, done, cancelled, done, cancelled... departure

... there is the LNM cave... "nessie's lair"...

which had lights, strobes, and more in early years...

dropped those in sophomore years...

reinstated and upgraded them later when the queue was more heavily themed with expedition displays (I think that was for one of the anniversaries?)... with colored lights, strobes, a gobo-moonbeam-ish effects light spinning mid-helix, and audio of water drops during upper helix revolutions... culminating with an increasing roaring sound, mist, and a giant luminescent (or maybe just painted) "dragon/monster/nessie" face strobing as you zoomed out of the cave into lift #2...

dropped again later on...

one light and strobing nessie face only further down the road...

dropped once again...

and now...?

what's happening in the lair this year, 2011?

Oh, and with the planned, done, cancelled, done, cancelled... departure

... there is the LNM cave... "nessie's lair"...

which had lights, strobes, and more in early years...

dropped those in sophomore years...

reinstated and upgraded them later when the queue was more heavily themed with expedition displays (I think that was for one of the anniversaries?)... with colored lights, strobes, a gobo-moonbeam-ish effects light spinning mid-helix, and audio of water drops during upper helix revolutions... culminating with an increasing roaring sound, mist, and a giant luminescent (or maybe just painted) "dragon/monster/nessie" face strobing as you zoomed out of the cave into lift #2...

dropped again later on...

one light and strobing nessie face only further down the road...

dropped once again...

and now...?

what's happening in the lair this year, 2011?

I Think they turned off the lights cause of Epileptics. Or They wanna be cheap.

I just thought of another concept that got cancelled. Wasn't SFGAdv originally going to get a 5D attraction this year (replacing Fly Me to the Moon) instead of Green Lantern?

Yeah, they completely gutted the sim theater queue, preshow, ride area, etc. for it, but when it got axed, the park started using it for storage and as a maintenance shop for GL during part of the offseason

When Canada's Wonderland opened in 1981, there were several plans that never came to life.

There was going to be a themed area called "Frontier Canada" located where Splash Works is now. In addition the Mighty Canadian Minebuster (which had already been built) there was going to be a steam train ride, another log flume/water ride, a mine train coaster, a restaurant, an arcade and a lumberjack show (lumberjacks in Toronto?). Instead, they built White Water Canyon with theming partially intact.

There was also supposed to be a killer whale show (shades of Marineland) where the Kingswood Music Theatre is now.

The former owners of Michigan's Adventure (the Jourden family) had planned on building a 210ft hypercoaster in the early 2000s, and even had a height ordinance exemption for the ride, but the Cedar Fair buy-out stopped it. It was referenced in an m-live article in 2001, but the article is no longer live on the internet.

I was actually gonna mention this, glad I read through the post. I would have loved for a hyper to be at MiA.

Yeah, it actually did look impressive when it was indoors. Must have been very interesting to watch when it was in operation!

Found this on the parks website (The park it is now SBNO at, not the plaza that it was originally located at.)

http://www.shaabpark.com/rides/adults/spiralcoastervideo.html

The image seems a bit sped up though, but looks like an alright ride