TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Best coaster ride when raining

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nitro at night in the rain, is insane. It's absolutely crazy. First, the track is pitch black and the rain speeds up the ride just enough to get some awesome airtime. It's also a crazy feeling when the rains pelting your face.

The only other ride that I have rode in the rain was The Wild One. Right as we started to go up the lift hill, it started to thunder and lightning. It was scary but awesome.

My only ride on Millennium Force was in the rain. It was not a very pleasant experience having those raindrops pounding me in the face at 90+ miles per hour. I could not even open my eyes, because of the raindrops stabbing me in the face. I was in too much pain to enjoy the ride, which was pretty disappointing. I really hope that I can ride MF someday without the painful weather conditions .

This happened to me too. When I went to Cedar Point in 2008, I got to ride Millennium Force in the front row right as it started to rain. It felt as if I was being sandblasted (with both bugs and water) and is not an experience I would like to relive... Although of course my ride on Mantis after that was much worse.

Aside from those two mentioned experiences on rides while raining, I haven't ridden many coasters in the rain. I do remember riding Coaster Thrill Ride at the Puyallup Fair in the rain when I visited in 2008, and although it had an e-stop on the lift for a few minutes, it wasn't overly unpleasant. In fact, I believe it went slightly faster than usual, which is obviously a plus.

• 4 months later...

When I was an attendant for Thunderbolt at SFNE, I used to work with an operator who liked to park the train in the station at literally the last second (meaning she'd let the train fly through two sets of brakes and using the station brakes to bring it to a stop). She learned her lesson when a freak downpour came, and the friction brakes got wet; and you don't need to be a physics expert to know that water + two flat surfaces rubbing against each other = hydroplaning. When she tried to do her usual "park at the last second" routine, the train flew right through the station, and came to a stop with half the train sticking out the front. The operator had no choice but to send them around a second time in which she then proceeded to apply the brakes properly.

And of course, everybody in line at the time started asking me if they could go around twice too.

I think, that after all the coasters I have ridden in the rain

on a few of the TPR overseas tours, one of the first I rode that way,

is/was still The Best Wet Ride Ever, lol....

Thunder Coaster

Tusenfryd Park

Oslo, Norway

It - was - insane when we rode it during a

very soggy and drenching ERT hour.

And we all kept riding and riding it!

Awesome.

I think, that after all the coasters I have ridden in the rain

on a few of the TPR overseas tours, one of the first I rode that way,

is/was still The Best Wet Ride Ever, lol....

Thunder Coaster

Tusenfryd Park

Oslo, Norway

It - was - insane when we rode it during a

very soggy and drenching ERT hour.

And we all kept riding and riding it!

Awesome.

I spent a weekend at Tusenfryd in April 2006 with light rain the entire weekend. Speedmonster had just opened and was the reason for my visit, but Thundercoaster completely stole the show. It was absolutely flying!! Still one of my best coaster experiences of all time.

^I concur completely. Thunder Coaster is absolutely nuts after a good rain.

Riding Apollo's Chariot during a rainstorm, however, is like getting stung in the face by a thousand bees.

Intimidator. Rode it in front row in heavy rain, it felt like being stung by a million bees during a hail storm while getting sandblasted. It was an amazing, no-trim ride (or at least you couldn't hear/feel them!) that felt like it had more air that I-305. It was phantasmagorical.

An Thunderhead is pretty good when wet to!

I can't remember how many coasters I've been on in the rain, but the best seem to be good wooden coasters. Both Apocalypse and Thunderhead are much more fun in the rain. However, I think my favorite wet ride was on Mystery Mine at Dollywood, simply because the rain complemented the attraction's theming so much.