TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Most Shocking Ride Removals

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only real shocking removal of any ride was the Steel Phantom in 2000. As a teenager I didn't know better nor did I care about anything else in the world. It's like Coca Cola, but instead of bringing back the original Phantom they just made it better in my opinion. Airtime and speed over loops and headaches any day. Speaking of which can we get our B&M hyper someday? At one point it was rumored that Kennywood was interested in getting one. Hell, two hypers in one park would be awesome.

800th post btw, it only took me 6 years.

When was this rumor? Is this pre or post park sale?

This was presale and back when the Mon-Valley Expressway was still in the plans. I think it was the Vice President who made reference to the Eurostar and how much he liked it. It was only rumored though...

• 1 year later...
The Big Bad Wolf takes the cake. It should still be operating. That removal is unforgivable.

I disagree with this. The Big Bad Wolf used to beat itself to death every day and was very expensive to maintain. Sure, it was fun, but nothing lasts forever, and I agree that BGW goofed a bit by replacing it with a ride that had a taller height requirement.

Now Knott's removing the Wacky Soap Box racers--that was "unforgivable."

Son of Beast could have used a Rocky Mountain makeover rather than an all-out removal, but Banshee does look like a pretty sweet replacement

I honestly disagree with this one. It could have been RMCed if the technology existed when it stopped operating, but after it spent three years rotting I don't think it could have been saved. I saw it during its final days after its removal was announced and before they started tearing it down and it looked horrible. There were bowed beams right and left in the structure and it looked like it would collapse any second.

Now I COMPLETELY agree with you on Banshee. That thing's going to ROCK.

Big Bad Wolf shocked me, especially since we didn't get to it when we went in 2007. It seemed to have good ridership and could have still been operating had they not built Verbolten (even though it looks better).

Space Spiral really had me scratching my head. I know they wanted to redo that space around GateKeeper but nothing there even comes close to it. I think they made a bad call with this one. They probably could have given it a facelift. Painting it blue and giving the cabin a repaint with the CP skyline against a cool background. Though watching them blow it up was AWESOME!!!!

Another where the removal itself didn't shock me but what was done afterwards was The Crypt at Kings Island. It was an awful ride and I'm glad they got rid of it, but did they REALLY need to leave that big stupid building there? It's like they got rid of one big stupid eyesore (SoB) and then they create another? I get wanting to use the QUEUE for the haunt event, but I see no type of haunt that could utilize such an enormous building. Tear it down and put something there!

Pitt Fall at Kennywood was a terrible mistake. The view of the mountains and the Monongahela River from the ride are extremely memorable. I am also upset with the removal of all the Chaos rides - I know the accident on Michigan's Adventure's and the technical problems on the other ones were the reason why, but I still miss them.

Maliboomer shocked me, probably because I was just getting into amuesment/theme parks and that S&S was my first company that I loved (still do). Also the Texas Chute Out/Flashback removal kinda suprised me. Not really Chute Out because it was quite old and those rides are disapearing but Flashback because it wasn't needed for Texas Skyscreamer. Hopefully we'll see what replaces Flashback next week though.

Maliboomer shocked me, probably because I was just getting into amuesment/theme parks and that S&S was my first company that I loved (still do).

Actually went to Disney California Adventure this year and the foundation and queue for Maliboomer is still there.

Looking back on some previous posts, there was nothing about Son of Beast or Pitfall to suggest anything "shocking" or surprising in my opinion. Considering the last few seasons for both rides, there should be no surprise a park decided to be done with them.

I will agree with Big Bad Wolf and Steel Phantom as being shocking. Not that their replacements are bad rides, but the initial feeling when those were announced to be "leaving" (quotes for Steel Phantom) was somewhat uneasy. A park insider, considering they would have the direct insight on the maintenance toll of a ride like Big Bad Wolf, might not be shocked at all, but the GP and enthusiasts were not ready to hear that at all. Steel Phantom had more than enough love, from the GP especially, that it wasn't highly speculated that Kennywood was already ready to remove or heavily modify it. Another somewhat surprising removal for me was Wildcat at Cedar Point due to its timing. Of course it was aging, likely hard to maintain, and had low capacity, but an early May announcement of a removal was pretty unusual.

Probably Haunted River and Time Shaft at Kings Dominion. They closed at the end of 1995, and the mountain was left vacant until the end of the summer in 1998. (They had to hollow out the mountain, and they had cut the top off, but the GP didn't know what the heck was going on at the time.) The rides were pretty darn popular still; Haunted River more-so than Time Shaft. Haunted River always had a pretty long line, and it was the park's best themed attraction.

Pitt Fall at Kennywood was a terrible mistake. The view of the mountains and the Monongahela River from the ride are extremely memorable. I am also upset with the removal of all the Chaos rides - I know the accident on Michigan's Adventure's and the technical problems on the other ones were the reason why, but I still miss them.

I loved the Pitt Fall when I was there, but I remember reading on Screamscape the year before it was removed that several sides were often closed and that the ride had become really troublesome to maintain.

Before I knew it was getting moved, Iron Wolf's removal shocked me the most. GASM, Big Bad Wolf, SFDK's Pandemonium also shocked me.

GASM for it being a pretty large coaster.

BBW for being so famous and popular.

Pandemonium for being one of SFDK's main family coasters and that it was 3 years old.

Maliboomer shocked me, probably because I was just getting into amuesment/theme parks and that S&S was my first company that I loved (still do).

Actually went to Disney California Adventure this year and the foundation and queue for Maliboomer is still there.

I was more shocked that Disney actually installed a basic S&S tower ride.

Edited by cfc