TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Most Shocking Ride Removals

High Roller at Stratosphere.

I'm glad someone mentioned this one (figured it would be you, John!)

But seriously, if there was ever a "GP" Ride that got people talking, even though the ride totally sucked, it's that I'd always hear random non-coaster people say "Did you see/ride/whatever the coaster on top of the tower in Las Vegas???"

They wouldn't know what the name of the ride was, and most of them didn't even know the name of the tower. But they knew there was a coaster up there!

Most people don't care about a drop tower or some spin n' puke, they want to tell people they rode the ROLLER COASTER on the tower!

I've heard nothing but how attendance has dropped dramatically from the attractions on the tower since the coaster left.

Stupid, stupid, stupid move... even for Las Vegas!

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apple Turnover is a ride I missed from that point forward - the Huss Enterprises just don't cut it...

Time shaft ... it was still a great way to hide from the sun, heat and humidity of Virgina's somewhat brutal summers.

Apple Turnover... took me so long before I was chicken-less to ride... my sibling, who worked for KD many years ago, didn't help by telling me about the constant deluge of hurl-cleaning-hosing the ride-ops had to be ready for daily. Yet the cabins were comfy (if not a little claustrophobic), the forces were significant... and the ride experience, like you mentioned, better than the Huss Enterprise (IMO).

Time Shaft... oh man... that crazy sci-fi laser chandelier... the strobes... and blacklights... and spelunk-ish walk through the caves into the mountain! The cave used to have an outside portion somewhere along the walk... that went out onto a wooden suspension-looking bridge, held up by ropes (it looked like). That may have been the path people took for the emergency exit, though, I don't know. BUT in later years, from the Eiffel Tower, you could see the rope-wooden-bridge on that left-rear side of the mountain... but in the cave-walk... there were were two boarded-up, painted facades, in the thresholds of the two areas where I'm guessing you walked out onto the bridge. Had I ridden Time Shaft in the early years, I might be able to report more about whatever the bridge was. But... yeah... I was definitely too scared to ride TS during the first several years "the Lost World" existed. I wouldn't even go far into the cave/queue because I was concerned I'd have to commit to (or be trapped into) riding it if I stepped just far enough past some imagined point... aah the mind of youth!

In fact... candid story time! The Lost World, as most of you enthusiasts probably know, was the name of the mountain expansion at KD. It held three rides before Volcano-tBC replaced them... The Haunted River (a "haunted" & partially enclosed flume), Time Shaft (an indoor/enclosed rotor), and The Land of Dooz (which shortly-after became "Smurf Mountain"). My first time on "Land of Dooz" ("Dooz" - short for Doswell (VA), and the name of the dwarf-ish creatures featured in the ride)... I got on the train after being convinced it was a tame ride, cause see... I was already passionate about rollercoasters (duh... from my time of birth, ... or before, haha)... but wouldn't step foot on them yet at that point (the bigger ones, that is). It was seriously an all day issue to talk myself into riding "Scooby Doo". Get the picture?

So now my family's on "LoD" (dad & sibling loved coasters, mom not-at-all... which in hindsight should have been a big clue for what happened next). When we left the station there was a right turn followed by a LOOoong and slooow climb up a lift hill, into a cave at the summit. We start up that hill... and immediately... I LOSE my ever'lovin'-child-mind... blowing up into one of the biggest frenzy of tears-for-fears of those years... and flipping OUT on my family for tricking me into riding a coaster... (which, technically, LoD/SM was... more like a mine-train). The whole tortuous lift hill ride became my theater for a scene of family drama... the whole train was an audience... my sibling was hiding their face, dad trying to tell me it'll be OK while hiding a perturbed smile... mom doing something consoling...

Then we round the top of the lift... the train eases and disappears into the cave... AANNNDD...

... the whole rest of the slow-A, crawling, ride was filled with animatronic scenes and seamless loops of "Dooz" jubilance... until we gracefully coast back into the station. *sigh* - trust lesson learned... drama session demonstrated as pointless... the trials of life turned triumph.

Anyway, back on topic... The removal of Haunted River, Time Shaft, and LoD/SM was unpleasant, possibly surprising... and sometimes I want TS and Haunted River back (great drop... cool pitch-black early drop... and neat blacklit skeletal fish & sea-monster scene)...

... BUT... Volcano tBC was a really striking replacement after the Lost World was gutted... and that first launch is great fun... especially coaster-ing, front seat, with new initiates to the ride!

The removal of the entire Pavilion Amusement Park in Myrtle Beach, SC. That park, and its famous Pavilion building on the ocean, were icons for nearly 60 years. Nothing but big empty lot now, for several years. People who experienced it back in its "golden age" of the 70s and 80s know what I mean.

Then, just a very few years later, the complete failure of the Hard Rock Park/Freestyle Music Park. This was very embarrassing for the amusement industry as a whole.

The removal of the entire Pavilion Amusement Park in Myrtle Beach, SC. That park, and its famous Pavilion building on the ocean, were icons for nearly 60 years. Nothing but big empty lot now, for several years. People who experienced it back in its "golden age" of the 70s and 80s know what I mean.

Then, just a very few years later, the complete failure of the Hard Rock Park/Freestyle Music Park. This was very embarrassing for the amusement industry as a whole.

I'm surprised I missed that one! Was this place losing money or were they planning other uses for its location that never came to be. Every time I went, there was a steady stream of people and the rides, with the exception of the Hurricane, all appeared to be high quality and operating well. Even the Hurricane had a great layout, I don't know what to blame the roughness of it on. I am really not a beach person and it was my only source of happiness when I was younger, along with the how many dozens of go kart locations that have also started to disappear a bit.

But seriously, if there was ever a "GP" Ride that got people talking, even though the ride totally sucked, it's that I'd always hear random non-coaster people say "Did you see/ride/whatever the coaster on top of the tower in Las Vegas???"

They wouldn't know what the name of the ride was, and most of them didn't even know the name of the tower. But they knew there was a coaster up there!

Most people don't care about a drop tower or some spin n' puke, they want to tell people they rode the ROLLER COASTER on the tower!

I've heard nothing but how attendance has dropped dramatically from the attractions on the tower since the coaster left.

I'm sad I never got to ride the rollercoaster at Stratosphere (even though it looked tame) and now the Speed ride at Sahara (if known it was going to close I would have ridden it last year) but riding X-Scream in the front row was pretty awesome (and scary). I may have to try Sky Jump in the future.

The removal of the entire Pavilion Amusement Park in Myrtle Beach, SC. That park, and its famous Pavilion building on the ocean, were icons for nearly 60 years. Nothing but big empty lot now, for several years.

Ohhh I REALLY miss this park. Myrtle has never been the same since. Hey, atleast the beach has the SkyWheel now...

Easy

Zambezi Zinger at Worlds of Fun.

I don't think I know of anybody that didn't like the coaster and thought it was a good idea to remove...

...and then they replaced it a couple of years later with...a BOOMERANG

Was such a good ride...one that adults and kids liked equally and everybody could ride. ... Oh poo...I've saddened myself

I'm sad I never got to ride the rollercoaster at Stratosphere (even though it looked tame) and now the Speed ride at Sahara (if known it was going to close I would have ridden it last year)...

My only trip to Vegas was in 2009, so High Roller was long gone. Like you say, the ride itself surely wasn't much, but I wanted to experience it. Speed: The Ride was closed when I was there, so I didn't get to ride it either.

...but riding X-Scream in the front row was pretty awesome (and scary).

Front row at dusk in 40 degree temps with high winds and sprinkles...My wife and I were freezing our tails off. That is the only ride I've ever ridden in my life that scared the crap out of me.

Yeah I had forgotten about that one, One can only hope something new is in the works for the top of the tower I think something with cars similar to a Volare would work quite well up there

Easy

Zambezi Zinger at Worlds of Fun.

I don't think I know of anybody that didn't like the coaster and thought it was a good idea to remove...

...and then they replaced it a couple of years later with...a BOOMERANG

Was such a good ride...one that adults and kids liked equally and everybody could ride. ... Oh poo...I've saddened myself

It was relocated, not permanently lost. If you're willing to travel to Colombia, you can still ride it as Broca at the Parque Nacional del Cafe.

When Kennywood announced the removal of the Steel Phantom I was shocked and upset. It was my favorite ride and remember riding it 9 times in a row since there was never a line for it. But after riding other Arrow loopers over the past few years, I'm glad it's gone.

• 3 months later...

Simply put...ASTROWORLD....Texas Cyclone(the BEST clone of the original, even better than the original) and Greezed Lightin'(which is sitting rotting in a field...also the best Schwarzkopf shuttle loop, hands down!) were two major losses to the industry....and geez, the only coaster to relocate was a crappy Vekoma Mind Eraser...(Thriller left before the park closed)...Houston should have held SFI accountable and put the bastards on trial!

For personal reasons: Monster Mouse at the Puyallup Fair. Its 2011 removal has received hardly any attention. The only info I've found is that it was spotted for sale shortly before the September fair (along with Kersplash, which has been on the market for years), and the ride that stood in its spot this year is the new ARM Vertigo (Starflyer-like ride).

This was a Herschell Monster Mouse and easily a top-3 or top-5 mouse for me. Yes, I like it better than the classic Miler mice and the much tamer Herschell Mad Mouse model. It had classic charm and quite a number of quirks rarely seen elsewhere, as well as some surprisingly strong airtime. It was easily my favorite steel coaster at the Puyallup Fair and I'm grateful I had multiple chances to ride and observe it.

Monster Mouse apparently is still for sale. Buy it.