TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Another Death @ LI Adventureland

Yesterday, September 1st, yet another death occurred at Long Island's Adventureland in New York. This time, however, much more extreme. A woman was THROWN from Top Scan while it was in it's peak rotation, sending her flying to her death. Her body landed in the adjacent parking lot on top of a parked car.

Now let me rant, Adventureland is my home park, all the rides at the park are transportable for space, money, re-sale value, and the ease to remove/relocate easily. I LOVE THIS PARK. I grew up in it, it is safe, the Op's are amazing. When they usually lock you in on Top Scan they push the OTSR's so hard to lock them that they break your...guys, fill in the gaps. For 2006 they were supposed to be getting a HUSS Frisbee, now...who knows the other rides they might need to get to fill in the vacancy if Top Scan leaves the park.

Here's the article...

http://www.newsday.com/mynews/ny-liride024407659sep02,0,60707.story

I'll post pics of the ride and of the park when I get a chance...my prayers go out to both families that have lost loved ones in these last 2/3 days.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Geez... Thats a hell of a string of bad luck for a park... I mean damn... How can two accidents happen like that in 2 days... Hopefully they don't get charged with anything. I always hate to hear about these sort of things but I especially hate to hear "mentally disabled" because that brings up all sorts of other questions... I mean how are they disabled and is it possible they tried to get out of the restraints? You just can't really tell any of it... I guess for me it isn't really fair to be reporting that sort of thing. Unless it had something to do with the death it is still a death.

Personally I have only been on one Top Scan, the one at Thorpe Park, and that thing had me shaking around in the restraints and I am by no means a small person. I am 6'1" and have fairly wide shoulders... I dunno I didn't feel unsafe but I was aware of it nonetheless. I also didn't really like the ride... The spinning just made me feel seriously disoriented for about 10 minutes afterwards. Maybe I'm just getting old.

Edited by kenshinmac

That's really bad news. Especially with both deaths so close

But how do you get thrown out of a TopScan of all things? There must have been some serious failure from some party along the line here.

I also wonder whether this tragic episode will affect all the other TopScans operating in the world.

sounds unfortunate shame something like this has happen , thought the restraints on Top Scans were really safe and fail safe. Must of had a failure somewhere.

I also wonder whether this tragic episode will affect all the other TopScans operating in the world.

Out of the Four Top Scans I been on Samurai(Chessie/TP)/*The Beast(FL)/*Top Buzz 2 (Traveling Uk Fairs/Dome/Margate). Extreme (Foire Du Trone)

* 2 of them had seatbelts also. Gusse for the belts its incase something like this dose happen?. But then don't understand some have belt some don't

I was on the Top Buzz in Margate today, they also push the restraints down extra hard, plus you have a seat belt connected to the restraint. I did notice the other week in Thorpe Park that Samurai's restraints do let you move around a bit and they are also quite noisy i thought.

What a tragic accident to happen, straight after the LadyBug incident, condolences to all families involved.

I have on the one at Adventureland Long Island. It did not have the belts. I took 2 rides on it this spring. I would have done more but the park had a "we need 15 people to run the ride" rule so the rid eonly ran 2 times when I was at the park... Both times I was on it.

I dont see how she could have fell unless she slipped under the OTSR somehow.

on the news they said she went up more then 30feet and outmore then 50!

I would have done more but the park had a "we need 15 people to run the ride" rule so the ride only ran 2 times when I was at the park... Both times I was on it.

Arrrrrr you have that rule also, Thought Thorpe's was the the only one with that rule. Still don't get how Fantasy Island, don't have that rule also for the Beast (Had it to myself).

I definatly think some prayers need to go to the ride op. I remember reading some xangas of the people who worked on SFNE SROS when it had its accident and they were seriously messed up.

The report of the op from this one sounds just the same. Imagine if YOU were operating a ride youve probably operated hundreds, maybe thousands of times and someone gets flung from it. Youd be pretty histerical and I bet it messes with your mind afterwards.