TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The State of the Theme Park industry

I'm not sure if this is just my opinion, but I feel that theme parks are struggling less because of the economy and more because of the lack of innovation. The earliest stuff I remember is from the late late nineties. I feel like nearly each one of those major additions made me go "wow!" The last time I felt that about any ride was Kingda Ka (because I had never heard of top thrill dragster at the time). I don't know if it's just because I've been getting older, but does anyone else feel the same way like there are far fewer innovative/wow! attractions being added?

Why I say this is while reading a description of the old "Right Stuf" simulator at Six Flags GADV I was blown away. That ride seems like it was one of those wow factor rides that really gives you an experience you cant get at a local fair or arcade. Where are those rides today?

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Isn't attendance up this year? Six flags is climbing out of bankruptcy, cedar fair is doing alright, and disney and (especially) universal had good years. I think that that is better than what most industries can say.

That is true, but I went to Great Adventure this year and was gravely dissapointed from years past. The roller coasters were great, but the whole thing kinda felt like a giant fair and not something that I would be willing to travel and pay for more than once every couple of years. I love rides roller coasters, etc. but I just feel like parks are emptier and there are few rides that I get excited just to watch because they are so new/innovative/impressive

When you say 'innovation' are you referring to just huge massive coasters, or rides with new features? As, from my end here in the UK - looking out over Europe there's been a lot of innovation lately.

Th13teen at Alton Towers may not be the ultimate rollercoaster, but it's definiely innovative and unique.

Blue Fire at Europa-Park features an innovative seating design and other quirky new features.

Raptor at Gardaland - the first B&M Wing Walker design - to be followed in 2012 at Thorpe Park too with LC12.

Fluch von Novgorod - a Gerstlauer Eurofighter featuring an indoor LSM launch plus the vertical lift/drop combo.

Plus quite a few other rides around the world. I would say there's a fair bit of innovation around.

And who can forget about Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey?

While yes, we have had Kuka Robocoasters, but never before have we had four seater ones that travel on a track through one of the most amazing darkrides ever created. That ride has to be one of the most innovative attractions in recent years.

Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit took Maurer's X-Cars (added touch screens to the lapbars) and put them through a series of manuevers never seen on a coaster before, all while rocking out to one of the best onboard audio systems currently used on a coaster today.

And while this isn't exacly mind blowing, Zierer has created a family coaster that has very open seating, can manuever through very tight curves and creates an intense experience, even for younger guests. (see Crossbow and Force One) Supposedly these cars are being used in "Verbolten", the new coaster for BGW in 2012. That ride is expected to have theming all over the place, and supposedly has a th13teen style drop sequence.

Three examples I could think of off the top of my head.

I forgot about Harry Potter, that's definitely a game changer. But things like the wing walker and blue fire, eh been done before, slightly differently but still been done before. I'm saying more overall than in just huge colossal roller coasters. No new ways of riding roller coasters really. Nineties and very early 00's brought about inverted, floorless (not that big of a deal but still), flying, 4d, and launched coasters. Since then I think we've gotten verticle lift and wing riders in a 9-10 year period. Dont get me wrong I loved farenheight and the eurofighters look cool, but they aren't major innovations and the wingrider seems like a fad to me (I'll probably be wrong and look like a jack*** but thats how i feel right now)

Floorless coasters were a fad as well, just sayin'

A few other innovations coming up include the new Transformers ride at USH, and USS. The technology may only be a more advanced version of Spidey's, but the fact that they're using elevators, and presumably some very large in-house effects makes them on a different level.

The new Grizzly Mine Train at Tokyo Disneyland looks to be one of Vekoma's most innovative rides, and utilizes a backwards section that starts with a very steep lift hill, and ends with a LIM launch.

Flat rides have also gotten innovative lately, with such rides as Zamperla's Air Race, and KMG's new Fairgroud ride, which will be the largest one in exsistence, and their new lapbar only car for their Revolution/Extreme flatride models.

We had launching coasters in the mid-1970s...just sayin. Magnetic launch coasters appeared in 1996, however. What about the revelation of smooth Vekomas? From Muntanya Russa in Tibidabo to the Galactica twins in Singapore. While not astounding, it's definitely a step forward. I'd also consider rides like S&S 2nd generation launch coasters (Powderkeg onwards) to be innovative. While not fullproof ***cough***Ring Racer***cough*** they are a step above their predecessors.

Edited by mightbeawannabe

Be patient. Sometimes the really great innovations come in small steps and not all at once. The era we now live in has seen some of the greatest ride innovations ever. Remember the 80s....did you ever even think there would be such things as inverted, floorless, flying, 400ft tall launched, and even 4D coasters? Dive coaster? Or how about the countless ride elements introduced over the years? All of this took time to develop, it didn't all happen at once. With so many great coaster/ride manufacturers pushing for more innovative ride designs, don't worry, you will be seeing some awesome stuff soon enough!

When you've got companies like B&M, Intamin, Maurer Sohne, GCII to name a few, you are guaranteed something good will be coming. I do agree though it seems like there is a slight lull in development but that is just a phase and it will pass.

You may not have been around in the 80s but compared to today, there wasn't much really going on. I am so absolutely amazed at some of the incredible rides that have been created over the last 30 years, it is astonishing what they have accomplished. I mean really, launching a coaster to over 100 miles an hour in a few seconds with magnetic or hydraulic technology? That's totally insane...can you imagine? When I was a kid none of this stuff was around and nobody ever dreamed it would get to where it has today. Just appreciate what is out there now and enjoy it, new things will come along when the time is right.

Be patient. Sometimes the really great innovations come in small steps and not all at once. The era we now live in has seen some of the greatest ride innovations ever. Remember the 80s....

You should count your blessings that you live in this period of time compared to when I was a kid. Turning people upside down was the biggest novelty/innovation in the 70's and 80's and Arrow was the king of the manufacturers, who pretty much capped off their long resume with their trio of mega loopers - Shock Wave, GASM II, and Viper (though KI's Vortex and the short lived Drachen Fire could also be included). In the meantime the Arrow suspended coaster (which didn't really take off like I thought it should have), the TOGO stand-up and Ultra Twister, and Intamin/Mack bobsled were all we had. Heck Vekoma introduced their much maligned boomerangs at this time. Also you figure launched coasters were left to the Arrow and Schwarzkopf shuttles, which there weren't many found in American parks and new wood coasters were few and far between.

Be patient. Sometimes the really great innovations come in small steps and not all at once. The era we now live in has seen some of the greatest ride innovations ever. Remember the 80s....

You should count your blessings that you live in this period of time compared to when I was a kid. Turning people upside down was the biggest novelty/innovation in the 70's and 80's and Arrow was the king of the manufacturers, who pretty much capped off their long resume with their trio of mega loopers - Shock Wave, GASM II, and Viper (though KI's Vortex and the short lived Drachen Fire could also be included). In the meantime the Arrow suspended coaster (which didn't really take off like I thought it should have), the TOGO stand-up and Ultra Twister, and Intamin/Mack bobsled were all we had. Heck Vekoma introduced their much maligned boomerangs at this time. Also you figure launched coasters were left to the Arrow and Schwarzkopf shuttles, which there weren't many found in American parks and new wood coasters were few and far between.

Yeah you got that right! You mentioned Arrow coasters, you can also add the interlocking loop design of the Loch Ness Monster to that list of innovations, the first ever to feature interlocking loops.

Yep, this is what we had

Yeah pretty much going upside down and being launched from a Schwarzkopf shuttle loop by weight drop or fly wheel was what was going on. Compare that to today and there is no comparison! So many innovations, so much advancement, many-many incredible ride creations. This is also the era, mind you, that Werner Stengel has created his 500th coaster (Maverick)....omg he has designed (more than) 500 rollercoasters! Amazing. I used to think being launched on Tidal Wave at Great America (weight drop Schwarzkopf shuttle loop) was one on the most amazing feelings ever. Then I rode the likes of Superman: The escape and Vertical Velocity and was completely blown away.

I think the reason one could think that no "innovative" rides have been released is because all the "Wow!" coasters seem to be gimmicky, while now they want to focus more on providing a great ride experience as a whole, without the gimmick.

Sorry if that's worded strangely, I'm tired.

I had this conversation with someone a few weeks ago and in my opinion there has been a LOT of innovation in the Theme Park industry lately but all of the innovation isn't in amusement parks but instead in water parks.

How many bowl slides do you remember 10 or 15 years ago? Or giant funnel slides, or half pipes? I think master blaster opened at Schlitterbahn has opened in 1998 and ever since then there has been nothing but new and innovative ideas coming to water parks where as every water park before 1998 was kind of stating to look alike with the traditional body slides and tube slides.

We now have hydromagnetic rocket slides, looping slides, themed lazy rivers, projections inside of enclosed tube slides, multiple funnel and multiple bowl slides, water conveyor belt systems, mat slides, racing mat slides, indoor water parks, that new magic quest interactive water attraction thing, gigantic play structures like at Shane's water park in Utah, that crazy fast lazy river at Aquatica, clear water coasters on cruise ships, and probably some more stuff I haven't mentioned or haven't seen or don't even know about yet! And all of those new ride types have come about in the last 10-15 years.

In my opinion I think that water parks still have a lot of potential that no one has tapped into yet, but I got a feeling pretty soon were gonna see some major changes. How awesome would a theme park style river rapids ride be in a water park? Or a log flume, or a water coaster, or an interactive water shooting dark ride? It would be awesome and needs to happen soon (I'm talking about you Aquatica)!

If you consider the time-frame of technolology leaps, it mirrors that of most other innovations: An example-

From 1903-1933, airplanes went from 36 MPH to 210 MPH, and from 0 Passengers, to 21.

From 1933-1948, airplanes went from 210 MPH to 480 MPH, and from 21 passengers to 100

From 1948-1960, airplanes went from 480 MPH to 650 MPH, and from 100 passengers to 189 (Or more).

From 1960-1969, airplanes went from 189 passengers to 500, and from 650 MPH to 1250 MPH.

It's not entirely about the innovation not being there- considering that 36 years ago, we had JUST returned to going upside down again- and look how far we've lept since then. From two inversions to 10; from 70 ft. to 459 ft, from 40 MPH to 129 MPH. That's in 35 years or so, no less.

Rides are still innovating- but there's two elements that prevent the 'giant leaps' forward that I think a lot of people expect: 1.) Cost of technology, and 2.) Physical restrictions. First, cost: Each step forward in ride tech we make is costly; look at how much money was pumped into the 4th Dimension coaster at Arrow/S&S; or how much money Intamin and Premier pumped into LIM/LSM technologies- Premier is just now making money of the LIM/LSM technology they helped to innovate 15 years ago. In the second, the human body has tolerance levels that cannot be exceeded- pushed, yes, but not exceeded. I'm a -severe- Schwarzkopf Junkie (I can hear the 'NO, NO WAY. NOT HIM" sighs now..) and I love the higher G forces that His rides produce- but let's face it: That's not what the General Public want- they want it with more 'family-friendly' Gs and speed. Thus, rides have slowed down in the levels they push the envelope.

It's all about that, really. We're going to see innovation- but not in the same way we did 35 years ago plus.

I guess I echo a lot of people's sentiments when I say that if the massive variety of steel looping coasters, introduction of all new wood coaster train designs (and track designs too), crazy new dark ride concepts, magnetically launched water slides, multi axis flat rides, and all the like don't please your need for innovation that there is very little conceptually in the amusement world that ever would. Ultimately, I'd ask; What precisely are you looking for in an amusement attraction that would make it "innovative" to you?