TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Zierer Tower Launch Coasters

Hey, I'm not sure if you guys are aware but it turns out Zierer doesn't just make kiddy rides.

This is a Zierer Tower Launch coaster model located in Utah, USA. These things look like they could be really fun, like a launched eurofighter. That's not why I posted this thread though.

Are there any more of these in the world? Has anyone ridden one? If so, how was it? If this is the only one, are there any that are planned to be built anywhere? It's been a while since I last went to the states and I don't think I'll be going back any time soon to ride this, sadly.

Cheers!

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because track records of reliability have to start some where. A lot of these small coaster designers are starting to get more work now because, in my opinion, what they are offering could be cheaper than what the big names are offering and parks are willing to give them a chance...

^A quick search on RCDB says that Wicked is the only Zierer Tower Launch coaster in existance.

So none are even planned, huh? Aww.

Wasn't Wicked designed by the same chap that designed Magnum-XL-200?

Well I think the "older" engineers of todays german-swiss coaster business in companies like Zierer, Gerstelauer, Maurer-Söhne, Intamin and B&M mostly know each other - from their time at Schwarzkopf KG...

If you add Vekoma and Zamperla steel-coaster business is easily in european hands.

And of course Werner Stengel Engineering is designing the tracks of - by gut-feeling - 99% of coasters.

Entering the thrill-ride business is a tough move for Zierer - but as the other companies proove could turn out a good revenue. On the other hand ten years ago no one barely knew Gestelauer. But Zierer built together with BHS the Olympia Looping (german carnival) and the Jetline (Gröna-Lund) after Schwarzkopf KG went bancrupt. So I think they know what they're doing....

Also the other german companies arose from that bancruptcy: Maurer-Söhne purchased the coaster-production from BHS - Gerstelauer was founded in Gerstelau (Schwarzkopf KG's hometown) by egnineers finding themselves without a company.

^A quick search on RCDB says that Wicked is the only Zierer Tower Launch coaster in existance.

So none are even planned, huh? Aww.

Wasn't Wicked designed by the same chap that designed Magnum-XL-200?

Ron Toomer designed Magnum.

Why buy a Zierer tower coaster when you can buy a Guerstlaur Eurofighter for a similar price and a better track record of reliability.

Trust me...from what I saw when I was at Lagoon in May, Wicked was one of the most reliable rides in the park. Didnt see the ride go down once. A feat for any launch coaster. Whenever I go to Dollywood, Mystery Mine goes down every time.

*Edit: Oh yeah, Wicked rocked too!

Simon, the ride you are referring to is called a "Star Shape".There are two I know of, one that travels the German fairground circuit (High Energy) and a permanent installation at Blackpool called "Bling". Are there any more that you know of? It's the flat ride I want to try out more than anything. It's a like an Evolution and a Top Scan put together.

Zierer has been building big rides for some time now, Verbolten at BGE will surely be there biggest hit and put them on the map.

There is actually a brand new Star Shape called "Air" traveling the UK now, owned by Danter Attractions. It will be hitting all the major funfairs. Youtube has a few clips now. Apparently these things take awhile to design and build, that one took 3 years. You may be in "some" luck, I keep coming across tidbits suggesting that a permanent version will be coming to Florida in 2013, perhaps to NASA, at least that is what I've read in a few different places.

I knew the Intamin, Gerstlauer, Mauer Sohne, and Zeier connection with Schwarzkopf, but I didn't know B&M...or is the connection due to Werner Stengel?

B&M were engineers for Giovanola.

Trust me...from what I saw when I was at Lagoon in May, Wicked was one of the most reliable rides in the park. Didnt see the ride go down once. A feat for any launch coaster. Whenever I go to Dollywood, Mystery Mine goes down every time.

Does the MCBR still kill the last third of the ride?

I agree that the first two-thirds of the ride kicks butt, but that brake run kept it from being in my top 25.

Weren't Intamin part of Giovanola as well?

Giovanola manufactured track and trains for Intamin. This is why you'll notice early Intamins, IE: Flashback @ SFMM and Batman: The Escape @ SF Astroworld looked like B&Ms we see being built today.

Does the MCBR still kill the last third of the ride?

I agree that the first two-thirds of the ride kicks butt, but that brake run kept it from being in my top 25.

Yeah, unfortunately MCBR still slows the ride to a crawl, but it really seemed to vary by car, likely due to the cars weight and speed of course. A time or two, I saw the brakes barely touch the cars, but that was the excetption, not the rule.

• 3 weeks later...

I thought Wicked was a great ride! That tower has to be one of the best elements ive ever experienced! Not only does it feel really cool being blasted up the tower, there a lot of airtime on that thing as well. As for the rest of the ride, that's fun too, with some very cool elements. The ride was very smooth, and the trains look pretty cool, and there are booster seats for the smaller riders as well! I would love to see more Tower Launchers out there!