TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Tall and fat coaster enthusiasts

RAWKIN_coaster38

My brother is about 6'2'' or 6'3'' and over 300 pounds. He recently took a trip to SFDK after several years. He was barely allowed to ride Kong (after the ride ops had to shove the restraints closed) and he had to ride in a special seat on Medusa. They wouldn't let him ride anything else.

I was trying to convince him that I thought that newer coasters with newer trains (and esp. ones with lap-bars) would probably be able to accommodate him. But I'm not sure, because I've never had the problem that he has.

Do you know if there are certain types of coasters/coaster trains that more easily accommodate tall and fat people? He used to be the one that would tolerate me dragging him around with me at the parks and riding coasters non-stop all day. Now I'm worried that he won't even bother trying to go to a park because he thinks he won't be able to ride anything.

Is there a certain specific size restriction? I don't want to get too fat someday to ride coasters. If there was anything in the world that could motivate me to lose weight fast, that would definitely be it.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am 6'4" myself and I have never had a problem with my height on any coaster just so long as I keep my hands down so OTSRs don't dig into my shoulders. On the weight front however newer coasters do tend to be more accommodating to a wider range of body shapes and sizes and especially in the USA with many theme parks now offering special seats to accommodate larger people. As Robb said in a TR to Grona Lund about the new Twister: "If you can't fit get on a treadmill". My advice for the larger people is avoid European parks to avoid humiliation, they tend to be very fat unfriendly (Silver Star at Europa Park and Raptor at Gardaland to name two). You are also correct in saying lapbar only rides are much more accommodating; Maurer Soehne X Car Coasters, Mack Launch/Mega Coasters and Gravitykraft Timberliners all boast to be more fitting to a larger range of people.

Hope this helps,

RollerCoasterSmith

• 4 weeks later...

I had the same problem for a while (too "fat" to fit comfortably) then parks started to retrofit their B&M coasters with "fat guy restraints". Its usually one seat in row 4 and one seat in row 5 or 6 (the OTS with 2 seat belts), now its to the point I just diet and treadmill 2 weeks before I know I am going to a park (4 weeks for Cedar point, their coasters have no forgiveness what-so-ever). I have been finding newer coasters are being built with "Americans" in mind (B&M flyers are the best). Tell your brother do not get discouraged, there is hope for us.

^^^^ LOL, tell me about it. When I go to Cedar Point I always pray when I get on Top Thrill Dragster and Millenium Force ..."Please no walk of shame, please no walk of shame". I've had no problem with Maverick and its OTS restraint though.

It's obvious and no-one is saying it, so here goes. If your weight is at the point where you cannot ride most coasters and flats, then losing weight should be ***THE*** first and only priority in this situation, not trying to find rides that accommodate you.

And you won't "get fat someday" if you treat your brother's case as a cautionary tale and avoid junk food; for like 95% of people, there is absolutely no reason why they should be so overweight that it causes them problems leading a normal life. Sorry to sound so harsh, but realistically people can't expect ride manufacturers to keep re-designing bigger and bigger seats and restraints just because they can't control what they eat very well.

• 2 weeks later...
It's obvious and no-one is saying it, so here goes. If your weight is at the point where you cannot ride most coasters and flats, then losing weight should be ***THE*** first and only priority in this situation, not trying to find rides that accommodate you.

And you won't "get fat someday" if you treat your brother's case as a cautionary tale and avoid junk food; for like 95% of people, there is absolutely no reason why they should be so overweight that it causes them problems leading a normal life. Sorry to sound so harsh, but realistically people can't expect ride manufacturers to keep re-designing bigger and bigger seats and restraints just because they can't control what they eat very well.

You have a good point, but he's one of those people that losing weight comes very difficultly for him. Last year he was in football and worked really hard and only lost a little weight. He really should develop better habits, but my question was more along the lines of, "Until he does lose the weight, how can I encourage him to still go with me to amusement parks/which should we give up on going to together?"

As for myself, I'm probably just worried for no good reason. I'm no where close to being morbidly obese and I'm a vegetarian whereas my brother is a meatetarian.

But thanks everyone for the suggestions. Hopefully him and my (together) coaster-riding days aren't over!