TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Georgia (SFOG) Discussion Thread

If it were all about height and intensity on the human body, then why wouldn't TTD and KK have claimed victims by now? The recent wave of deaths is no different than a couple years back when people were being attacked by sharks every other week. It just happens. This year just more often than others, I guess.

I still feel that waiting for hours in extreme heat plays a big role, but I could be wrong.

I wonder if today's coasters have reached their limit for the Human Body.

The answer for now is, no. Tens of Millions of people ride the most of extreme rides each year and walk off with no problems what-so-ever.

Rides will not change as long as healthy people don't drop dead on any of these rides. All these, or most that I know of, deaths so far were from pre-existing conditions.

Liability will never be a concern from these deaths so far since it will never be a parks responsibility to make sure everyone is in perfect health who walks through their doors... er, metal detectors. But people will sue anyway.

This bad news!

I'm just glad that he didn't die on Goliath! When are people going to start being responsible and not ride extreme thrill rides if they have a medical condition! I'm not talking about the people that have a medical condition and they don't know that they have one. This has been a bad year for coaster accidents.

Man thats nutts,one after another....it's almost like the parks want a copy of you medical records everytime you go now!...Sorry it happened:(,but i agree with the heat,dehydration,the list goes on. It could have been anyone though.........

Honestly, what does it matter if the man died ON Goliath or not? I think it's pretty safe to say he died as a result of riding Goliath. If Goliath was the last thing he rode before the ambulance, then Goliath is what helped bring about his heart failure. So who gives a flip if he stopped breathing under a clamshell or on an operating table afterwards?

To quote Walter from The Big Lebowski: "AM I WRONG?"

Scott "when is work over....I need a beer!" B.

Atleast this guy didn't die like the one girl on Raging Bull who was CHEWING GUM ON THE RIDE!.

I do agree people if they hear from a doctor that they have a heart condition should think before riding. I swear its like my dad. He knows his limits but sometimes he just doesn't abide by them.

I feel sorry for the man that died and his family but sometimes I wish people would listen to thier doctors!

After reading the article I have only 1 thing to note about it: It says heart attack.

They proberbly couldn't get meds there in time. If it was a cholesterol type heart attack you have MAYBE 10-20 minutes to seek help depending on how bad the block is. Which in this case high blood pressure during the ride could have spiked and sent in motion the blockage on the artery wall to come unclung and lodge itself in the mans heart.

I am a med dictionary lmao!

Very sad news to read.

I wonder if today's coasters have reached their limit for the Human Body.

Could it of been the Spiral 540 helix which did it or the 175ft drop..?

Well, I've not been on it yet but I can tell you that the helix elements on TITAN do me in. I simply can't handle them. I go totally black, UNLESS, I hold my breath through them. Even then, it isn't much fun to endure.

The helix isn't very intense. It is about the same as Nitro's. What bugs me is...a heart attack can happen anywhere. He could have been driving in a car at that same time and could have had a heart attack. Apparently, he had heart conditions. Obviously, riding a roller coaster could be a problem...What will bug me is the family will probably blame Goliath on his death and try to find a way to get a lot of money....I hope that isn't the case on this accident...

I would bet money that there have been no more deaths this year than any other year. It's just that we are hearing about them all this year since the media goes crazy over stuff that preys on human fears. People are intictively scared of coasters or amusement rides, so they feel the need to sensationalize them.

Maybe next year the media will choose to sensationalize lightning, and we will hear every time someone gets killed by lightning. Or every time someone drowns in a back yard swimming pool. Or every time someone dies of an allergic reaction to a bee sting.

It sucks that people are dying, but people die every year after incidents like this, and I am not convinced in the slightest that this year is some abnormality.

-Julie

I cant believe another death.

Well I think deaths caused by ride accidents are at a normal rate this year. But deaths attributed to riding seems to be higher than normal this year. Or maybe its one of those things were it has happend at more well know parks and rides.

Anyway cant believe the amount of strange accidents and deaths that have occured this year.

Looks like a good time to start a Coaster Enthusiast Insurance program. So you are covered in the unlikely event you are killed by at or on a coaster.

I would bet money that there have been no more deaths this year than any other year. It's just that we are hearing about them all this year since the media goes crazy over stuff that preys on human fears. People are intictively scared of coasters or amusement rides, so they feel the need to sensationalize them.

-Julie

You're right in the fact that there probably isn'y that many more deaths this year than any other.

However, I don't think they're being sensationalized (at least in this case). It's the media's job to report on accident-deaths. Heck, you can't go a day without hearing about a death on a highway somewhere. The fact is that not too many people die on/because of/issue aggrivated by roller coasters. Therefore, when it happens, it makes news because of the rarity of it happening.

If anything, the enthusiasts are sensationalizing them. Weird? Perhaps. But everyone on message boards everywhere are talking about how afwul a year it is for deaths. Yes, any time someone dies on/because of a ride is awful. However, 2006 is just about on the norm. The reason we have seen so many accidents lately is because we have all amusement parks open. Therefore, with the odds of injury on a ride (I believe I read 7 in 1 million on a paper), you're bound to have some happen in this close time period as more gates are open than October-April.

-Bryan

I blame Joe.

thanks. I like Derek's choice of scapegoat better

When are people going to start being responsible and not ride extreme thrill rides if they have a medical condition!

That would suck for the parks considering the average BMI of an American is around 30... so half of the nation shouldn't be riding thrill rides. Imagine what a hit on business that would be if everyone played it safe.

I agree with Julie, I don't think its been an overly-bad year either. People are going to die on rides, oh well. Name one death this year that is the result of ride failure.. IMO that's whats more frightening, another Morgan derailment and whatever the hell Son of Beast did...

- Joe, who's overweight, hypertensive fat ass will continue to ride coasters till he dies..

this gotta be the worst year for coaster guys since lots of accidents or few deaths have got caused like 12 year-old boy death on Rock 'n Roll roller coaster or around 30 people injured on the world's tallest wooden coaster - Son of Beast.

very sad to know a man on Gwazi died after he got off. hopefully these nasty darn things never happen.

accident: man's death on Gwazi

http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27232

Sheesh this coaster season is getting worse and worse. :-/

With all these recent deaths, When I was getting on Storm Runner and such rides at Hershey today, I was wondering, what if I'm not in ok health to ride these coasters?

I don't work out, and I eat $hitty food. I don't play sports or nothing. I do have a job that has me on my feet constantly (Petsmart , I'll say Hi to to rodents for you Elissa). I'm not exactly over weight, but still. I'm sure as hell not healthy.

Anywho, my thoughts go out to his family.

Sheesh this coaster season is getting worse and worse. :-/

And yet, if no one else died the rest of the year, it would be a "good year". I mean think how wild things can swing, last year was pretty light until the end of the year when Rye had a death, Adventureland had two, in addition to some more non-lethal incidents.

It's too early to say its been a bad year, IMO. If by December there have been 15 deaths.. yea, then we can talk about it, but for now I still think the mechanical incidents should be the focus of concern, not these people dying of heart conditions.