TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Georgia (SFOG) Discussion Thread

I do think SFoG will be doing year round operations at some point. It seems that theme parks in general are realizing that there is a lot of people who would come to parks no matter what the weather was especially if you give them some reason to come. Case in point look at BGW.

As far as Mindbender goes anyone have any idea what trains they will be using? It seems like new trains will be part of the refurbishment. I know that New Revolution's trains were spotted so in-house seems possible however I have also heard that Premier might be doing the work.

Hey everyone, so this is my trip report of my visit to the park just after Christmas.

This was my #3 most anticipated park in the US (#1 is Hershey, #2 is Fiesta Texas) to visit of the parks that I have not been to yet. I always try to temper my expectations, but I'm like a kid in a candy store so I wasn't exactly able to do that. With that said, the park EXCEEDED my expectations.

As far as travel, I'm from the Detroit area and I flew Spirit and stayed in the Econo Lodge that's on the other side of the freeway from the park. I did this trip solo so I decided to do it cheap.

Normally I'm a travel snob, meaning flying nice airlines and staying in nice hotels. Normally when I'm walking through the airport I'm laughing at the people waiting to get on a Spirit or Frontier flight knowing that my plush could-like Delta seat with 100 miles of leg room is awaiting me. But I wanted to see how bad it really is. So since I was doing this trip solo I bit my tongue and went for the cheapest options. And the verdict is that Spirit sucks, I mean they really suck. The seat was ok, but the leg room sucked. Luckily there was nobody else in my row and I was able to maneuver myself into a decent position.

Econo Lodge on the other hand wasn't bad at all. The bed was surprisingly really comfortable, there was no mirror on the ceiling above it, and surprisingly no shag carpeting. I was basically expecting some seedy whore house like you can find up and down Michigan Avenue in Detroit. Obviously I'm exaggerating, but not by a lot...  Honestly, for my next trip I would not rule out Econo Lodge like I have in the past. 

Ok, so on to the park itself. I arrived 2 hours before the park closed and it was completely dead. I went right for Twisted Cyclone and wow, what an awesome ride. I had heard mixed reviews on it. Some really liked it and some thought it was underwhelming and short. Could it be longer, yeah, but I didn't come off it thinking it was a short ride. Every element delivers and the highlight is that incredible wave turn. I mean, that's what a wave turn should feel like (talking to you Orion). It's definitely a back row ride like most RMC's are. I rank coasters on a scale from 1-4, 4 being elite, 3 being good, 2 being fun, and 1 is I got the credit but I'll never ride again. Twisted Cyclone is definitely a 4. In fact it's my 3rd favorite RMC after SV and Twisted Colossus. Better than Lightning Rod, Twisted Timbers, Storm Chaser, and Goliath. 

Then I got on Goliath and I had some major expectations for this B&M Hyper. It exceeded every single one of them. The first drop actually kind of sucks when compared to just about every other hyper coaster I've been on, but the rest of the coaster is fantastic!  Every hill delivers really good airtime, and that helix is one of my favorite elements on any coaster. Extremely forceful and incredibly intense. That's why I love roller coasters, for moments like that! Goliath definitely get's a 4/4 from me. If it had a better drop it would easily be my favorite hyper, and because it's the most recent one that I've been on right now I'm inclined to say that it is my favorite hyper with Mako and Behemoth right behind. 

The other coaster I rode before the park closed was Dare Devil Dive. This was a good ride. The first half is awesome, starting with a 95 degree drop, which is the best drop in the park IMO. And then it goes through a few pretty intense inversions and this one element where you feel like your about to go upside down, but you don't, it was a weird and fun sensation. The second half though is just kind of blah, it doesn't really do anything. It also only has lap bars which was great because I think over the shoulder restraints could have ruined that ride for me. If the second half was more like the first half I'd probably give it a 4, but I think a 3 is more where this coaster is at. Really fun, but could have been elite. 

The next day I returned and again it was completely empty. Is this normal for the park at this time or was this probably COVID related? I was planning on getting flash pass, but obviously that was a nice surprise. 

First ride was the mine train. It's just an average mine train. It get's a 2.

Then I made my way to the back of the park, I looked at Superman, and said screw it. If you know me, and I don't know why you would because I post like once every 3 months, buy anyway... I HATE flying coasters. I love the idea, but I hate the execution. It's just not comfortable for me. So I skipped it. 

I was surprised to see Great American Scream Machine running because I was under the impression that would be closed, but it was open. I heard this was actually a great coaster before they put the Georgia Cyclone trains on it. After riding that is my assessment as well. Well actually I don't know if it was good before, but it was a very rough and uncomfortable ride. It's better in the front, but still too rough. 2/4 because the layout is actually really good and there were some enjoyable moments. 

I was also surprised to see Blue Hawk running as I was under the impression that this was also going to be closed. This was the surprise of the park for me. I thought it was very comfortable, smooth, and surprisingly somewhat intense. And I also really liked the setting river the water. I give it a 2.5/4. Not good enough to be a 3, but better than a 2. 

I saved the Batman clone for last and I've heard that this is actually the best of the Batman clones. And because of those expectations it was a let down. I mean it was fun just like all the other Batman clones, but not any better IMO. Still a really good ride though. 3/4.

I skipped the stand up. Again, I've heard it was the best stand up but I HATE stand ups. So being the best stand up to me is like being the cleanest prostitute at the corner of Michigan and Livernois...

Overall I thought the park was really fun, and really nice. I think Six Flags overall gets a bad rap that's undeserved. Maybe I just happen to visit their parks on good days, but I've never not had a good Six Flags day. The park was clean, employees were friendly, and the overall atmosphere was enjoyable. 

Overall I'd give the park a 3/4. Obviously I didn't get on Mindbender or any water rides. So it possibly could be even better if I visit in the summer, which I most likely will at some point. As far as how to make it better, I think at least for me, tuning the stand up into the floorless would be nice, and adding a launch coaster. I think that's the most obvious gap in their lineup. But overall I had great time, a lot of the coasters met and/or exceeded expectations, and I'll definitely be back!

• Like 2

23 hours ago, crash1984 said:

I do think SFoG will be doing year round operations at some point. It seems that theme parks in general are realizing that there is a lot of people who would come to parks no matter what the weather was especially if you give them some reason to come. Case in point look at BGW.

As far as Mindbender goes anyone have any idea what trains they will be using? It seems like new trains will be part of the refurbishment. I know that New Revolution's trains were spotted so in-house seems possible however I have also heard that Premier might be doing the work.

Actually, the primary reason for considering year-round ops in a park like SFoG (or the already-year-round Texas SF parks for that matter) is that it is much easier to sell and retain memberships without any kind of 'off season'.  The parks lose money on operating days in the winter with lower attendance but make up for it with an expanded membership (and season pass) base.  It is no secret that SF considers members and pass holders to be their most valuable guests - they say it all the time.  To be quite honest, I was a bit surprised this park did not take the leap to year-round this year.  With attendance chain-wide in the tank and the membership base having shrunk by over a third (according to SF Q3 report), this could have been a way to make up for some of that.  But I suspect the pandemic may have put the brakes on any such idea for now.

Nice report! Thanks for sharing.

I visited SFOG for the first time in July 2019. My feelings about the park are mixed. On one hand, I don't think the park has a single "bad" coaster. Perhaps GASM, but I tend to like some old wooden coasters that have character nowadays where everything is being RMC'd. Blue Hawk is excellent, the B&Ms are all great, DDD is glossy smooth and fun, and Mind Bender rocks. On the flip side, I found the park's operations (for everything - food, rides, etc.) to be utterly terrible. It was also an incredibly hot and muggy day when I went, which probably made me grumpier about everything. But I would definitely visit the park again.

I echo your sentiments about Twisted Cyclone. That ride is a prime example of "less is more." It does exactly what it needs to do, it does it well, and it never lets up from beginning to end.

• Like 2

I dunno, having spent some time in the area outside the park (my sister lives in Athens), I feel like slow is a way of life in GA. I love SFOG its my fave SF park, but I'll agree the operations definitely are not the greatest. But knowing how slow service is just about everywhere in that part of the country, it makes it a little bit easier to deal with slow ride ops, etc at the park.

19 minutes ago, boldikus said:

I dunno, having spent some time in the area outside the park (my sister lives in Athens), I feel like slow is a way of life in GA. I love SFOG its my fave SF park, but I'll agree the operations definitely are not the greatest. But knowing how slow service is just about everywhere in that part of the country, it makes it a little bit easier to deal with slow ride ops, etc at the park.

I lived in Florida for 25 years, and that was my home park so I went there a lot.  I understand the slow pace of the south, but it just appears to me they just don't care..

• 5 weeks later...

I’m thinking about taking a trip to SFOG sometime in March or April, likely on a Saturday. This would be my first visit the park. I see they’re open 11am to 8pm those days, is that enough time to ride all of the coasters at least once or would I probably need to get a Flash Pass? Any other tips for visiting the park?

1 hour ago, VF15 said:

I’m thinking about taking a trip to SFOG sometime in March or April, likely on a Saturday. This would be my first visit the park. I see they’re open 11am to 8pm those days, is that enough time to ride all of the coasters at least once or would I probably need to get a Flash Pass? Any other tips for visiting the park?

Yes and go to Superman and Blue Hawk first, both those lines can get long.

Several Coasters have Single Rider queue (most importantly Twisted Cyclone & Goliath).

*but*. . they might not be operating them curing Covid (using single riders to fill every seat).

if they ARE using them?  keep an eye out for them when you get to the station - you have to wait in the main queue along with everyone else, but when you get to the station, check to see if single rider line is open.  If it is, hop in it, you'll get on much quicker, tho you won't get to chose what row they put you in to fill an open seat.

Get there before opening and you probably knock them all out in 2-3 hours. TC usually opens a half hour early. DDD should prob be done right at rope drop. 

DDD, Superman, and TC have the longest lines during the day, typically. 

8 hours ago, bert425 said:

Several Coasters have Single Rider queue (most importantly Twisted Cyclone & Goliath).

*but*. . they might not be operating them curing Covid (using single riders to fill every seat).

if they ARE using them?  keep an eye out for them when you get to the station - you have to wait in the main queue along with everyone else, but when you get to the station, check to see if single rider line is open.  If it is, hop in it, you'll get on much quicker, tho you won't get to chose what row they put you in to fill an open seat.

Single queue was not in place when I was there in Oct. for Fright Fest

Completely useless. Even after waiting I'm the main cue forever then you wait in the single rider line as they dispatch trains with half full rows. Occasionally they look over at the single queue and take one or two.

Totally unlike the single rider experience I had in Texas several years ago (2014?). Bypassed the main queue (using fast lane) and they filled every empty seat from the single rider queue if people there.

So SFOG almost never has anyone in the single rider lines because of that. Once or twice I got the fast lane person to let me up to the single rider line on Cyclone, like in Texas. Then I watched 3 trains leave with 4-5 empty seats.

Agreed on saying you should hit up DDD and Superman first. Twisted Cyclone's line is usually much shorted in the afternoon though. Normally crowds would be bigger those Saturdays because you have a lot of band/choir groups there, but that won't likely be the case now. I'm sure they will still "cap" their attendance, but even so you will have enough time to ride the coasters most likely.

1 hour ago, The username said:

Do we know if Mind Bender is going to open on opening day?  Thinking about continuing my new tradition of attending opening day for the 3rd year in a row, but if there's no MB idk if I can really justify it.

I would say the answer is "no"

I saw a press release last week, referring to "Spring Opening" and mentioning brand new trains.

and a quick check just now at SFOG website, doesn't even show Mindbender (or Riddler Mindbender) listed on the Rides list.

so. . yeah. . it won't be open till later in the year.

ETA:  it absolutely could just be shitty Six Flags Website. . as I notice Pandemonium isn't on the rides list either. . that certainly hasn't been removed or closed.

6 hours ago, bert425 said:

^ free parking, does that mean the are upgrading to Gold for free?  if yes, GRAB it. . that gives you free parking at all SF parks.

They did away with that Gold upgrade stuff. Season passes have parking now.

Mindbender will 99% be closed.  On their FB page, their response to it being running opening day was simply, "Spring 2021."  Pretty sure that's a nice way of saying no.

Also, if you bought passes last year, they are still good this year.  'The username' mentioned having a streak going and then buying new passes.  Letting him know just in case.

• Like 1