TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Georgia (SFOG) Discussion Thread

as long as Monster Mansion is open? (and Twisted Cyclone & Acrophobia & Goliath)?.. . then a trip to SFOG is worth it.

I'll be in Atlanta for Labor Day weekend, weather Dragon*con happens or not - and let's be honest, there's NO WAY it's happening, even tho they keep saying at the moment, it's still planned.

so I'm expecting to be in town with not much to do. . . so SFOG for the whole weekend, most likely

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Nice report. That’s cool that they’re alerting guests of changing elevations. If only there were some kind of ride that could magically take guests up or down that steep hill near Lickskillet on

I didn't see the photo or video or whatever of what you are all talking about, but standard operating procedure on Manta at SWO is after the trains go into flying position, all ops on platform are sup

Look dude, you're being an ass. I don’t care how you feel about masks, and I don't care what you do at a Six Flags park. I do care that you have been actively encouraging people on Six Flags threads t

Posted Images

as long as Monster Mansion is open? (and Twisted Cyclone & Acrophobia & Goliath)?.. . then a trip to SFOG is worth it.

I'll be in Atlanta for Labor Day weekend, weather Dragon*con happens or not - and let's be honest, there's NO WAY it's happening, even tho they keep saying at the moment, it's still planned.

so I'm expecting to be in town with not much to do. . . so SFOG for the whole weekend, most likely

Don't give up on DragonCon just yet. Governor Kemp just announced today more restrictions being lifted and relaxed.

One lifted restriction in particular caught my attention: Live entertainment venues can resume effective July 1st (with guidelines) so there is still hope for Dr. Fright Dead Man's Party for Fright Fest.

It is still June so who knows what may be permissible come Labor Day.

Don't give up on DragonCon just yet. Governor Kemp just announced today more restrictions being lifted and relaxed.

One lifted restriction in particular caught my attention: Live entertainment venues can resume effective July 1st (with guidelines) so there is still hope for Dr. Fright Dead Man's Party for Fright Fest.

It is still June so who knows what may be permissible come Labor Day.

That is assuming cases don't spike with things opening up. Still a long way till Labor Day.

Myself and a buddy decided to be 'lab rats' today, visiting the first Six Flags branded park to open to guests (Frontier City is not a 'flagged' park so it does not count!). As advertised there were numerous changes both physical and procedural to park operations. Yes - masks were required - and I really did not mind wearing one given the circumstances.

One of the very first things out of the box I noticed when pulling in to the parking lot is the grass and weeds growing everywhere. This is plain and simple a symptom of the park being shuttered for three months. But to be fair, the shopping mall near my home has the same grass and weeds in their lot - and they have been open for six weeks now. Parking was in the main lot only and an attendant guided everyone as to where to park. Vehicles were to occupy every other space. (I did not use VIP parking.) And now...I was on my way to the gate!

Things looked very different at the entrance plaza. Part of the ticket booth area on the east plaza was converted into a screening area. Upon entering this area, attendants are making sure all who enter are wearing a mask. There was even a kiosk of masks available at the entrance, both disposable and cloth, for those who arrived sans face covering. There were no DC-themed ones available. (According to park management, cool masks featuring the likes of Joker, Batman, etc, will be available soon.) The next phase was the walk-thru, non-invasive temperature check. I did not even know my temp was being checked. Immediately past that was the metal detector screening. These are not your father's detectors either. These were really nice in that they screen as you walk meaning no more bag checks! From adversity, good things sometimes come, and this is definitely one of them. This will speed up entry now and into the future! (Plans are in the works to add a similar screening area to the west ticket plaza as well.)

As I was leaving the detector area, whom else should I bump into than park President Dale K. himself! He was on hand thanking each and every guest for coming to the park. That was a nice touch. This would be the first of a few times I would chat with him throughout the day. I could tell he was happy to be back 'at the office!'

Next stop was the actual gate entrance. They scanned my membership and I was in. They did not even need to see my reservation; perhaps it was linked to my pass. All these aforementioned steps took only 2-3 minutes; it was fast.

Once inside the park, I was greeted by a ghost town...very few folks walking around. In fact it seemed there were more employees than guests roaming the park. With only 3 1/2 hours available, it was time to get started....

First stop was lunch. I needed to use my dining pass so we went to JB's. There was about a 5 minute wait. After that, we decided to head to Thunder River. It was hot and a water ride was just the thing. The line was not very long but the wait time was about 20 minutes. There was only one party per boat, no matter how many guests. Most boats had 2-4 riders. Basically, no one shared a boat with a stranger. The water gun area was not open, as expected, but the waterfall was on full blast.

Next up was Pandemonium. We used diamond elite STL passes for this ride (we get three of these now with the additional added benefits). Seating was simple - every other seat occupied.

We attempted to ride Goliath but a nearby passing storm scratched those plans. On coasters, every other row is closed and not in use. There are markers on the floor at the queue entrance to each row indicating which rows are in use and which ones were closed. The rows that are open seat single parties only. On B&M coasters, this means 1-4 guests. Again, no one is seated next to a stranger. This was the case on Scorcher.

This was more of an exploratory visit; I did not plan on doing a great deal of riding today. Justice League was closed; we did not even go to Metropolis. Gotham City was still closed with a planned opening in a couple weeks. Mindbender was still missing track as it undergoes a full rehab and a 2021 grand reopening. I can't wait!

There were attendants in the restrooms cleaning and cleaning; I have never seen the restrooms so spotless before. We visited the Freestyle machines a few times. If you have a member cup, thee attendant simply asks what beverage you would like and dispenses it into a paper cup. You can transfer to your member cup (or not). And BTW the Freestyle store near the Crystal Pistol received a full renovation. There were portable hand sinks and sanitizing stations scattered all over the park. (Pro-tip: to make the hand sink dispense water, there is a foot pump at the bottom!) Another surprise: mobile food ordering on the app is operational!

I had additional opportunities to talk to park President Dale. I did ask specifically about masks and water rides. He stated masks were not required while on a water ride. And the wearing of them would not be required inside Hurricane Harbor when they open next week. Visitors to White Water will be required to wear a mask when they enter the park but once inside, they will not be mandatory. The wave pool and lazy river will have some operational changes but will be open.

This was a most interesting visit to say the least. It became readily obvious from the outset the park personnel and staff have been absolutely busting their tails to keep this park clean. Park staff were very friendly and it appeared they were all just glad to be back. These are unprecedented times and the park President and his management team are in daily communication with the state health department and are determined to make this work. At no time during my visit did I feel unsafe.

I really hope that everyone waiting to visit will reserve judgement until they see the park for themselves. I stated months ago that this is Six Flags' chance to rise to the occasion and from what I saw today, they have.

20200615_142325.thumb.jpg.5db060ef7605de6b5e60bb96aeab8bf0.jpg

Social distancing cars!

20200615_142908.thumb.jpg.9f5d86d9cd780e222ba5bf11e7fe61f3.jpg

New signage on the way to the front gate

20200615_142916.thumb.jpg.4289a103fc38c00d98f34caf7208ac92.jpg

Do the SIX!!!

20200615_144115.thumb.jpg.60fe91bc7451ea054050c7e0b7563c03.jpg

All benches marked this way

20200615_144228.thumb.jpg.15f82f95dd4d12dce2831b64f698be71.jpg

New welcome sign paying tribute to all heroes of these times

20200615_145234.thumb.jpg.9d2dc0f47317fd8c3d935501f03487d0.jpg

Nice sign package in the entry area. Hand sanitizer too!

20200615_152830.thumb.jpg.404a84fc5024294a974dd368802b46ee.jpg

Thunder River queue sign

20200615_152920.thumb.jpg.aae8e5663690d97249c8ab97caf24b26.jpg

It seems like the park did some landscaping work waiting for guests to return. The bamboo forest got a trimming

20200615_171301.thumb.jpg.12573826fbeeeada1d678a12a26fbaf6.jpg

This row of seats on Goliath not in use

20200615_180559.thumb.jpg.8649b4a34cf598d9c3ad78e875e9c8bf.jpg

Mindbender in hibernation, awaiting its triumphant return in '21

Great report! I am glad things seem to be going well so far. I hope it is similar at my home Six Flags (Magic Mountain).

I find it interesting that they dispense the drink into a paper cup and allow you to transfer that to your membership cup. Do I even need my membership cup anymore? Can't I just... get the paper cup drink (like at Cedar Fair parks)? What's the point if you have to transfer it anyway - you may as well just drink from that paper cup you're given. Am I missing something?

Great report! I am glad things seem to be going well so far. I hope it is similar at my home Six Flags (Magic Mountain).

I find it interesting that they dispense the drink into a paper cup and allow you to transfer that to your membership cup. Do I even need my membership cup anymore? Can't I just... get the paper cup drink (like at Cedar Fair parks)? What's the point if you have to transfer it anyway - you may as well just drink from that paper cup you're given. Am I missing something?

I had the same question on the bottle.

Do I actually need the bottle or can they scan my membership or pass and see I have a plan that includes them and give me the cup? I'd rather not have to carrry it around all day and put it up on rides if I don't have to (have reservations saturday).

And on a similar note - are they actually selling new bottles to people at this point?

I was at SFoG today. Getting in was a breeze and just like described above. I was one of the first people in the park. It was like having the park to yourself for the first few hours. No lines. I have the season FP and picked it up before they started the rides at noon. I think I only used it once or twice right before I left around 4:30. No lines otherwise. Had a zen ride on GASM and Superman today.

GASM...refurbed trains look nice. Lift hill, drop, and second hill are good now. But, as you turn the corner on the second hill, there's a clear line where it goes from looking nice to looking like rotting wood that has been abandoned for decades. Still rough, and everything after the turnaround is just torture. I'm told it's a 5-year plan to redo the whole thing.

No complaints here. People seem to be trying to wear masks. Security was asking people and letting them know it's required. Ride ops always announced masks were required. I saw Dale out reminding people to wear their mask. Not every nose was covered. Some people would lower them to their chin while in line, during rides, and other places. But it seemed like folks were making a decent effort. It was mid 70s today. When it's mid 80s and above, I suspect compliance will start slipping. Kids seemed to be doing good at wearing them for the most part.

I'm curious to see how this looks in a few weeks when I'm back in the area.

Do I actually need the bottle or can they scan my membership or pass and see I have a plan that includes them and give me the cup? I'd rather not have to carrry it around all day and put it up on rides if I don't have to (have reservations saturday).

And on a similar note - are they actually selling new bottles to people at this point?

I am guessing the paper cups were used to minimize contact points. The attendant wore gloves, and just by having your member cup (or season bottle) the attendant knew you were entitled to free refills. The member drink cup is much easier to tote around the park than a flimsy cup so yes - I transferred my beverage. I did not see a scanning device being used so no - your member ID probably would not work. There was a register for those guests needing to purchase their drinks.

Something I failed to mention in my above report is there is a new option for members to purchase a stainless steel metal member cup for $19.99. These cups do look nice and they are hot/cold so they can also be used for hot chocolate or your favorite warm beverage.

From what I saw, season refill (and daily refill) cups were available and were being sold at dining locations.

I am guessing the paper cups were used to minimize contact points. The attendant wore gloves, and just by having your member cup (or season bottle) the attendant knew you were entitled to free refills. The member drink cup is much easier to tote around the park than a flimsy cup so yes - I transferred my beverage. I did not see a scanning device being used so no - your member ID probably would not work. There was a register for those guests needing to purchase their drinks.

Something I failed to mention in my above report is there is a new option for members to purchase a stainless steel metal member cup for $19.99. These cups do look nice and they are hot/cold so they can also be used for hot chocolate or your favorite warm beverage.

From what I saw, season refill (and daily refill) cups were available and were being sold at dining locations.

Good info and appreciate it. I'd love not to have to carry my cup around but it is what it is.

I normally go solo and will Saturday so I do worry a bit with the one party per row if I'll run into issues boarding the exiting to drop off my cup that people will think I'm not riding and the next group come on in. I've had that happen before all this a few times and it's quite annoying but if I'm the only person in the row makes me wonder if it will be worse. Guess I'll find out Saturday.

Thanks for all the information

One other question. I'm diamond elite and so far don't see any availability to sign up for priority parking. Is that not a thing now? If I try to reserve no dates show as available.

One other question. I'm diamond elite and so far don't see any availability to sign up for priority parking. Is that not a thing now? If I try to reserve no dates show as available.

I have not seen VIP reserved parking offered yet but to be quite honest, with the limited capacity you probably will not need it. Only the main (front) lot is in use and even without the preferred parking I was still close to the front.

I did see single riders on coaster rows; they will only seat one party per row at a time. The lines were largely non existent so it should not be a big deal.

I hope you have fun Saturday! Let us know how your day goes

I also have a question, is the park disinfecting handrails & railings and other touch points?

I have no doubt they are as I observed the "Clean Team" in light blue vests out and about all around the park cleaning and disinfecting surfaces and railings. They work their way around the park non-stop. If there are any cleanliness doubts, hand sinks and sanitizer stations are only steps away no matter where you are.

I went Sat and Sunday and was impressed with what I saw.

Parking was every other spot. Make it take a little longer to get in with them directing people to places but with lower capaxcity not a big deal.

The temp scanner and new bag/person check scanner were cool and made for the easiest time I've had getting into the park ever.

Lots and lots of sanitizing stations and hand wash stations all over.

Most rides were ever other row and one party per row. They were enforcing this. I went solo and the 3rd time I rode goliath when i got on a couple tried to take two of the reaming seats and the attendant saw and said "stop. one party per row wait for the next train" and they apologizd for now knowing and complied.

Maks in the 95 degree weather was tough. No way to get around that but they were enforcing it. I went to mine train for one of my first rides and they kicked a kid who looks 5 or so off because of no mask. I expext the mom though after they got into the park they could ditch it. Saw them later and he had a mask so must have bought one. I was on skyscreamer later and the attendent made an announcement "your mask must be on properly in order to ride this ride". I can only assume somebody was doing the mounth but not nose thing. They didn't bother people walking around (though 90% still complied) but rides would not let you ride without the mask. Good to see.

Sanitation was much better then normal. Lots of cleaning going on. When I stopped fro a beer at JB's spoorts bar as soon as somebody got up they would come by and clean the table. Never seen that before.

Food was spottty. They have the new mobile ordering and when it woked it worked well but I had issues with it. The six flags wifi wasn't working for me so had to tun that off. Early in the day was getting "cannot load resturant list". tried a fewe times and finally got it to load and did a mobile order and it worked well at that point. Went ouotside resstaurant, said I was there, waited for it to tell me it was ready and went inside and picked it up. Later in the day when I was doing dinner app was saying no restaurants were supporting mobile dining and had to get in a LONG line. Even for low capacity food wasn't staffed properly as usual. if mobile ordering was working wouldn't have been an issue. Hope this is an opening week growing pain and it works better next time.

Lines were really really short. I have season gold flashpass so used that since I had it. Most rides on there wee at 5 minutes. Longest was goliath at 12 minutes and I would guess about 30 minutes normal. Thunder river was also likely around 30.

On the bad front a few things were not running. No skycars, no train, no shows right now, of course gotham is closed right now. The biggest one though was Justice League. If you go to it they have a sign that says it isnt open due to heath and safety procedures so I guess the cleaning of the guns is an issue so not expecting that to open anytime soon which sucks since I like that ride. Batman, Justice League and mindbender all down is a bit of a bummer.

Capacity and/or attendence was low. When I was on skyscreamer lot looks maybe 1/3 full and that is at only every other parking spot in use. This was march/april crowds not June.

One more story of enforcement. As I was leaving about 5 I was walking past the place after you leave scanners but before you enter park and there was a securrity guard going "mam! Man!" and this woman who was with a few kids (who had already pulled per mask below her chin) kinda went off going "Look.if I have covid they all have covid and they can't do anything in here without me" holding up her phone. Security guide was firm "Mam.. mam" and I couldn't catch all the rest but the woman eventually went back to the scanner area with the guard. My guess would be she failed the temp scan and since she was with kids figured she was allowed to go in anyway. It was great to see the security guard being firm and making her go back and pass whichever test she failed (temp or the security bag scan).

I was nervous about going out to six flags with everythig going on, but Six Flags went above and beyond what I expected (outside of food but if they get mobile ordering reliable that will change) and I was very impressed. I'm going to check reservation slots for next weekend and plan to go back and see how hurricane harbor looks and already have July 4/5 reservtions for white water but may switch July 5th to six flags to check out new rides at gotham.

I don't say this often but Good Job Six Flags.

Thanks for the detailed report. I may have missed it but why was the whole Gotham area closed?!

The two new rides for this year are both in Gotham so looks like they have the whole area closed due to that. It is planned to open on 6/29 with the two new rides with the exception of mindbender which won't be back until 2021. Mindbender is missing track right now due to the work going on.

So looks like it is just a construction thing while they finish the two new rides. Probably are behind schedule due to covid and by keeping the whole area closed a week or two can get things finished quicker.

Thanks for the awesome, encouraging report!

If there's a silver lining of this awful year it may be that Six Flags has incentive to master food mobile order fulfillment...

I can dream!

When it worked it worked well. Order from wherever get near restaurant and click I'm here and they notify you when ready and then you just walk in and show your order number. I just had situations where it wouldn't load restaurants or let me make a mobile order but if it let me make a mobile order it worked really really well.

I did Macho Taco as the one I got to work and that place can be backed up (but IMO one of the better food places at SFoG) and so I put in my order, when I got there sat on a bench outside and once it said order was ready walked inside and to the mobile side and just showed them my order number on my phone got my order which was in a heating unit. Easy and quick. If they can do that realiably will be a great improvement.

Thanks for the detailed report. I may have missed it but why was the whole Gotham area closed?!

The two new rides for this year are both in Gotham so looks like they have the whole area closed due to that. It is planned to open on 6/29 with the two new rides with the exception of mindbender which won't be back until 2021. Mindbender is missing track right now due to the work going on.

So looks like it is just a construction thing while they finish the two new rides. Probably are behind schedule due to covid and by keeping the whole area closed a week or two can get things finished quicker.

The entire Gotham area is closed not just due to the two new ride additions, but the entire section is getting a badly needed facelift. Looking at the park map, that area will likely look very different than we remember. In fact, it might end up being the best themed area in the park.

Those last few posts are a really long-winded way to say "understaffing and budget cuts that they can pass off as something else". Honestly at this point it wouldn't bother me since I'm just happy to be riding anything but let's also call this what it is.

Edited by coasterbill

Honestly, the more I think about it, I’m in the same boat. I can handle wearing a mask all day, but I know how much the reduced capacity operations would frustrate me, and if I can only ride half as much as a normally would be able to, I just don’t see a visit to a park being worth it.

Went again to SFoG today with good and bad reports. The good is the new re-themed Gotham city is really great The new rides are ok but nothing awesome. As we know they are both basically carnival rides but it does with Gotham an amazing number of rides. 2 coasters, the swing ride, the joker loop and 3 carnival rides which is a lot for that area.

The bad news is the cleanliness has aleady dropped off. When I was there 2 weeks ago on MM they were trying to wipe down boats all the time. Didn't see that once today. Last time when I was at JBs when somebody got up somebody was right there to clean the table. Not anymore. A lot more people not wearing masks or not properly and little enforcement. and many guests ignoring the social distancing markers. I did bail early today but not due to covid/sanitation issues but it was just so hot especially with a mask I couldn't do it past around 3 or 4.

I loved what they did week 1 when I was there. Not impressed this week by both guests and employees.

Tomorrow I'm going to white water and I'm not sure what to expect after six flags today but If I'm not happy with what I see I'll bail early.

I'll post something tomorrow about how WW looks. Slides shouldn't be an issues but wave pool/lazy river I want to see what they are going to do.