TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Georgia (SFOG) Discussion Thread

I’m planning to go to Universal Islands of Adventure, Sea Word Orlando, Fun Spot, and Busch Gardens Tampa in April for a week for my 40th birthday. Mapquest says Six Flags Over Georgia is a 6 hour drive from Orlando. I’m planning to visit the park for the first time is it open in April during the week if I wanted to add a extra day to drive up to Six Flags Over Georgia and are the crowds light during the week? I’m planning to go to Orlando April 11th through the 17th.

I’m planning to go to Universal Islands of Adventure, Sea Word Orlando, Fun Spot, and Busch Gardens Tampa in April for a week for my 40th birthday. Mapquest says Six Flags Over Georgia is a 6 hour drive from Orlando. I’m planning to visit the park for the first time is it open in April during the week if I wanted to add a extra day to drive up to Six Flags Over Georgia and are the crowds light during the week? I’m planning to go to Orlando April 11th through the 17th.

This park is (has been) only open weekends in April except for Spring Break week, which is the first full week in April. During that week, the park is generally crowded as most metro area schools are out for the week.

We enjoyed a visit this past Sunday and were pleasantly surprised by the non existent crowds and decent weather. My friends were on hand as well to help me celebrate my birthday!

With Holiday in the Park beginning next Sunday (The park is closed for a private event Saturday) I found some interesting info regarding HitP 2019:

The new Screampunk District (including Pandemonium) will be OPEN! Additionally, the Sky Buckets will now operate normally on both ends. The Lickskillet area including Blue Hawk and Scream Machine will still be closed off.

There will be a new show in the Crystal Pistol: "Step into Christmas" (No more "Because its Christmas")

It appears the park has doubled the number of S'mores stations, which will serve nicely as warming areas.

Most of the Christmas decorations were installed on this visit. None of the lights were turned on yet.

Looking forward to my visit next Sunday!

20191117_164838.thumb.jpg.89f1b0d6c89c67590cdabf70a85916cf.jpg

Brand new 'snowflakes' for the new "Screampunk Christmas" section!

20191117_164840.thumb.jpg.b52990fcca5e5418cd9fbf18341a82ec.jpg

More Screampunk snowflakes. These are actually really cool!

20191110_151202.thumb.jpg.3a87589e5e56ef542b11656cc273a832.jpg

Updated Holiday in the Park map showing the new Screampunk Christmas area

20191110_151209.thumb.jpg.dce5b8fc721d3bfd3591b5e710ed0bb8.jpg

HitP 2019 show schedule

It always runs for HITP doesn't it?

I don't know. And I might be crazy but I'm pretty sure it wasn't on the website list a couple weeks ago when they started putting HITP info up. (I know websites are 100%...)

And some folks on FB had indicated it might be down.

Pretty sure they started weekends on March 9th this year.

They will def be open weekend March 20th and probably a couple weekends before that. (Band comps start the 20th)

The predicted high temp for Austell this Sunday Nov 24 is 54 degrees. Is that warm enough for the coasters to run? NOTE: I visited SFoG in the past, and it was too cold for Dare Devil Dive to open, but I think most other coasters were running. I can't remember how cold it was, though. Does anyone know the minimum temps for the various coasters to operate (especially Twisted Cyclone). Thanks!

Is this park generally open weekends in Feb or March? I could not get six flags calendar to go past Januarys winterfest

The park usually opens the second weekend of March and is open on Saturday and Sunday only until spring break for the area. Then back to weekends mostly until Memorial Day Weekend. Daily ops after that.

The predicted high temp for Austell this Sunday Nov 24 is 54 degrees. Is that warm enough for the coasters to run? NOTE: I visited SFoG in the past, and it was too cold for Dare Devil Dive to open, but I think most other coasters were running. I can't remember how cold it was, though. Does anyone know the minimum temps for the various coasters to operate (especially Twisted Cyclone). Thanks!

Most coasters generally open once the temp reaches 40. It will depend on the crowds though. I’ve seen them close completely with 45 degree weather but I’ve also been on the coasters when it was 30 degrees out. I think it is 40 to open most of them and then as long as the park is busy they will keep them open. I’ve been on Dare Devil Dive at 1am when it was 29 before. It was a particularly cold fright fest Friday.

So... Blue Hawk, Sky Screamer and that dumpster fire wood coaster posted wait times all weekend. Was the park fully open for HITP? That's a first, right?

No. The three rides you mention are closed off. The app site is notorious for being inaccurate. What is new is the ScreamPunk District, including Pandemonium is open, thus expanding the HitP footprint a little. There is a barrier fence just before you reach the Lickskillet stage (where the Bad Bob show normally takes place).

I was there Saturday with Honda at the private event. I guess the deal was that all rides would be open for the event because everything was open. The Honda folks didn't show up because of the rain so it was probably the best Six Flags trip I have ever had out of probably 50 or so. The park looks great! Pandemonium is a fantastic ride and Twisted Cyclone at night will really mess with you mind. We also got a pass to go back anytime before the 5th of January so I hope to go back before Holiday in the Park is done.

I was there Saturday with Honda at the private event. I guess the deal was that all rides would be open for the event because everything was open. The Honda folks didn't show up because of the rain so it was probably the best Six Flags trip I have ever had out of probably 50 or so. The park looks great! Pandemonium is a fantastic ride and Twisted Cyclone at night will really mess with you mind. We also got a pass to go back anytime before the 5th of January so I hope to go back before Holiday in the Park is done.

How empty was the park? I can only imagine...

Sounds like a dream event to go to, especially once the weather cleared up. What were the event hours anyway?

So I rode mindbender today and noticed one of New Revolution @ SFMM’s trains near the lift hill behind the Maintenance shed. Unfortunately I was not able to take a picture of it. But it was so interesting seeing them there

Very interesting! I found a picture on a discussion group I am in on Facebook. Not sure how to properly credit the original poster but see image below.

36DFF9B5-CEF3-4957-95C6-9C0FF2522530.jpeg.d534f63dbfc7750083b8f596914485a1.jpeg

So I rode mindbender today and noticed one of New Revolution @ SFMM’s trains near the lift hill behind the Maintenance shed. Unfortunately I was not able to take a picture of it. But it was so interesting seeing them there

Very interesting! I found a picture on a discussion group I am in on Facebook. Not sure how to properly credit the original poster but see image below.

Yup there it is!

Sounds like a dream event to go to, especially once the weather cleared up. What were the event hours anyway?

The hours were 12-9 Eastern. Honda of Alabama is of course in Central time so 11-8 for us. We arrived at 3 Eastern and stayed till closing. When we topped the hill on I-20 it looked to still be raining on the other side of Atlanta so it had not stopped raining long. The longest wait we had was for Justice League which was about 10 minutes. On every coaster we rode, we stayed on and rode multiple times. Every ride was walk on or one train wait. We had drink tickets and a buffet meal which was really good. Our drink tickets came with a free funnel cake as well so the only money I spent was 10.00 for my son to play games. We also got free passes to cone back because of the weather which was really not as issue. It was a dream Six Flags day for sure!

The hours were 12-9 Eastern. Honda of Alabama is of course in Central time so 11-8 for us. We arrived at 3 Eastern and stayed till closing. When we topped the hill on I-20 it looked to still be raining on the other side of Atlanta so it had not stopped raining long. The longest wait we had was for Justice League which was about 10 minutes. On every coaster we rode, we stayed on and rode multiple times. Every ride was walk on or one train wait. We had drink tickets and a buffet meal which was really good. Our drink tickets came with a free funnel cake as well so the only money I spent was 10.00 for my son to play games. We also got free passes to cone back because of the weather which was really not as issue. It was a dream Six Flags day for sure!

Sounds like a surprisingly great visit! Thanks for sharing. I’m always curious about how these private events turn out.

If I'm not mistaken, these are technically custom trains, right? Is Six Flags still turning a shoulder to Gerstlauer after what happened with New Texas Giant?