TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Georgia (SFOG) Discussion Thread

Was at the park last night. Surprisingly light crowds. Most coasters were walk-on.

Only Batman and DDD had much of a line and that was late, after 8.

The performers were not out like they were back in late Sep either. Lots of closed food stalls as well.

I know it was Tue, but expected it to be busier the night be fore Halloween.

It was nice not having to wait much and rode all coasters except Scorcher. Could gave done a lot more but we just took out time and looked around the shops a lot.

Longest wait was for funnel cake up front (only one open) at 9:00.

Visited this past Sunday - it was a great day for rides as the park was fairly empty. With no seasonal events or shows to distract us, we concentrated on rides and using our dining pass. Interestingly, the park is wasting no time removing all Fright Fest props and decorations and swapping them out for Holiday in the Park. Last year on this same weekend, the park looked like "The Nightmare Before Christmas" but this year the park seems way ahead of the curve as HitP begins in less than 2 weeks.

There has been some confusion as to what sections of the park will be closed off for 'Holiday' and furthermore whether Metropolis Park near the back, including Justice League and Superman would be operating. This map confirms that only Lickskillet, including Blue Hawk and Scream Machine will be closed off but nothing else. The website is incredibly inaccurate as pointed out in earlier posts.

Another oddity: the Lickskillet area is open this weekend and next before it closes for the season as HitP begins. The park map signs in these areas have been updated with this same HitP map (pictured below) with the Lickskillet area omitted. There were a few confused guests staring at the map, trying to navigate this area with no mention of the area in which they were standing!

Anyway, the zombies have returned underground as Santa's elves have taken over. I can't wait for the fun to begin on November 17th - my birthday too!

20181104_132513.thumb.jpg.a2e96840ee0f8ace75c0ef2c6c8eae77.jpg

The official 2018 SFoG Holiday in the Park map!

Weird enough, Screamscape has received interesting info that the park has responded well to twisted cyclone this summer and that the park is looking at adding a coaster in both 2020 and 2021!!! What in the Uber heck?! Sources tell them that we could be looking at an S&S free spin near Superman and a possible launched coaster from S&S or Premier (comparison was to Maxx Force coming to SFGA)! If all signs point to yes I wonder how they will get past the whole SFOG not being able to support a launched coaster due to power related issues or whatever have you? Interesting.....

I don't even know where to begin.

I think a Free Spin is a great fit for that rotting boat ride area (which I guess is near Superman) just because like... what else would you really put there? That said, everything else about that rumor is dumb and I have no idea what you're talking about with power related issues but that's dumb too. If that's even a thing (which is a big "if") then I assure you they'll figure it out.

Edited by coasterbill

I don't even know where to begin.

I think a Free Spin is a great fit for that rotting boat ride area (which I guess is near Superman) just because like... what else would you really put there? That said, everything else about that rumor is dumb and I have no idea what you're talking about with power related issues but that's dumb too. If that's even a thing (which is a big "if") then I assure you they'll figure it out.

First of all, I think it was clear where I stated the rumor was from. I didn’t create the rumor “Billy.” If you were to thoroughly do your research then you’d know that SFOG did have a power grid issue which is why they could not add a power launched coaster. It’s really sad when you try to share something positive with other “enthusiasts” it has to be dumb. You sound like the typical GP. I don’t recall personally asking for your opinion. Are you that bored you have nothing better to do? I’m sure your life is not that intense. Please find someone else to play with.

what just happened?

Unless you’re secretly the dude from Screamscape I’m not sure why you took anything I said personally. Relax. My post was not to be taken personally unless you’re with Screamscape (in which case I’m starting to become concerned about what’s going on over there. It’s been a downward spiral since that “we have great sources telling us that Kings Dominion is getting a launcher B&M flyer through the woods” thing).

Can’t we all just get along?

I have no idea what you're talking about with power related issues but that's dumb too. If that's even a thing (which is a big "if") then I assure you they'll figure it out.

I do recall such an issue at DW.

They used a newly developed bank of "ultra capacitors" from Velocity Magnetics that charges at 200 amps but can discharge at 6000 amps. https://patents.justia.com/patent/10046644

And it has a smaller footprint than flywheel generators, important for lightning Rod as there wasn't much room.

That said I'd be surprised if there was a power issue in Atlanta. It's a lot different than the rural mountains of TN.

I used to work for a park and a concern was raised of putting a strain on the local grid when adding a few new water attractions due to having to run several new pumps and other filtration equipment. The park ended up adding their own sub-station and that was that. Costly, but was all done and everything converted within about 3-4 months in the off season. If that's even a problem at SFOG. Considering their size, they probably already have one, and if it had strain on it, they could just expand it next year when they add their Free Spin and do the launch coaster the following year.

Or Screamscape is just at it with the pipe dreams. Billy.

“Billy”

If there is any truth to Six Flags wanting to put a launch coaster in at SFOG I’m in favor. I feel like all parks should have a launch coaster in there lineup if there isn’t one it feels like something is missing but luckily I still have fun because I’m at an amusement park.

Oh bother, we've gone off the rails again.

This rumour almost certainly comes from Mr. Freeze at Six Flags St. Louis. It was scheduled to open in 1997, but was delayed a year due to power issues. The St. Louis County electric grid wasn't strong enough in that area and they would have frequent rollbacks.

So you know what they did? They paid Amren a sh*tton of money to upgrade the grid, and behold the coaster opened in 1998. And lo, did Six Flags cash in.

If there's one constant in human nature it's that people are stupid, but if there's a chance to profit, we turn on ingenuity.

Exactly. Tons and tons of parks that have added launch coasters have needed to upgrade their infrastructure along with it.

Carowinds had tons of power issues when they added Carolina Harbor and they're adding a launch coaster as we speak. Amazing how that happens...

Exactly. Tons and tons of parks that have added launch coasters have needed to upgrade their infrastructure along with it.

Carowinds had tons of power issues when they added Carolina Harbor and they're adding a launch coaster as we speak. Amazing how that happens...

And to add on to that, Carowinds has been updating their grid in anticipation of Copperhead Strike as they knew for a couple years it was coming.

This rumour almost certainly comes from Mr. Freeze at Six Flags St. Louis. It was scheduled to open in 1997, but was delayed a year due to power issues. The St. Louis County electric grid wasn't strong enough in that area and they would have frequent rollbacks.

So you know what they did? They paid Amren a sh*tton of money to upgrade the grid, and behold the coaster opened in 1998. And lo, did Six Flags cash in.

If there's one constant in human nature it's that people are stupid, but if there's a chance to profit, we turn on ingenuity.

Mr Freeze was delayed a year because the Texas version had a major collision in testing. The LIM fins ended up raming in to the LIM motors. There were other related issues with the housings.

http://web.archive.org/web/20130324040452/http://home.roadrunner.com/~gep2/mrfreeze.html

I have no doubt SFoG can do whatever is needed to upgrade their power capacity to support a launch coaster. We are talking metro Atlanta after all. The only real restriction on ride construction is the height limit due to nearby Brown Field Airport. If SFoG is actually considering a "West Coast Racers" or Maxx Force" clone, those rides stay below that height limit.

Speaking of expansion plans, I asked some employees about the new "ScreamPunk District" and the space where it would actually occupy. It seems the plan is to convert part of the existing Lickskillet area, including the Sky Buckets, Thunder River entrance, go-carts, two eateries and the walkways leading up to the 'Piedmont' (former French) section to the new theme. This area would of course include the new Pandemonium ride along with the repurposed former Whistlestop/Thomas Town area. Miner's Cookhouse, the ShenaniGuns show stage and areas beyond that would retain the Lickskillet theme. The employee in the gift shop across from Cookhouse said that location would feature merchandise themed to both areas. Having visited the only other Six Flags park with a ScreamPunk District (SFMM), I admit I am excited about this cool theming coming to our park!

Mr Freeze was delayed a year because the Texas version had a major collision in testing. The LIM fins ended up raming in to the LIM motors. There were other related issues with the housings.

http://web.archive.org/web/20130324040452/http://home.roadrunner.com/~gep2/mrfreeze.html

1997 was not a good year for launched coasters. Neither Mr. Freeze opened at all that year, and Chiller (at SFGAdv) opened briefly.