TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Georgia (SFOG) Discussion Thread

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I didn't see the photo or video or whatever of what you are all talking about, but standard operating procedure on Manta at SWO is after the trains go into flying position, all ops on platform are sup

Coaster Studios is a little whiny douchebag.

Looking at news reports that come up from Google searches of "Six Flags Over Georgia Opening Day" and 2019 and 2018, it seems like they typically open in March.  Next year is anyone's guess with COVID

Posted Images

The track obviously isn't complete yet. Where is that third lap?

The same place the 3rd lap on Goliath at SFGAmerica is... "not enough space" per Six Flags

The new Cyclone looks great. In 1990, the brand new GA Cyclone was one of the best coasters I ever rode. We didn't know how good we had it ... and that those coasters would be short lived (Timberwolf, TX Giant).

^ How could they have done the barrel roll on a straight drop vs the ones that turn to the drop?

I don't know. You tell me. I'm just glad they went with a traditional drop instead of incorporating some other element.

+1. This is my favorite 'looking' ride of the year. I'm glad they went with the traditional drop vs. the barrel roll drop.

They couldn't have done a barrel roll drop anyway because those type of drops are only possible if the track turns into the drop. By default it was going to have a traditional drop.

I’m sure RMC could have done a barrel roll drop if they really wanted to ... think a flatter lift hill crest where it begins to rotate and then follows through like the exit of a zero g roll or something like a downward spiral like Kingda Ka’s.

RMC has proven they can do a lot more than expected.

The track obviously isn't complete yet. Where is that third lap?

The same place the 3rd lap on Goliath at SFGAmerica is... "not enough space" per Six Flags

The new Cyclone looks great. In 1990, the brand new GA Cyclone was one of the best coasters I ever rode. We didn't know how good we had it ... and that those coasters would be short lived (Timberwolf, TX Giant).

Eventually they will combine the cut out parts from Rattler, Goliath, and Cyclone and combine them for a coaster at St. Louis.

I still cannot get enough of this view! The colors are fantastic! And with this past Sunday being on the wet side, the park was a ghost town, making un-cluttered shots possible. Curiously, there is a tropical storm flag atop the loading area building. I would think they would want a 'hurricane' (two stacked identical flags) to promote the (what is sure to be) ride's intensity. But - by definition, a 'cyclone' can refer to a tropical storm, a hurricane, or even a typhoon.

TC is scheduled to open to the public Memorial Day weekend. I have to believe the ride will open the weekend of May 19-20th as a preview to membership holders as one of the perks. If that is true, Media Day will be a few days prior to that. Oh, the anticipation!!

20180422_154142.thumb.jpg.d30ac0c5ba72686b8d84ea8787f1105b.jpg

This will be a BUSY PLACE in a month!

20180422_154243.thumb.jpg.1f1c559f9e8d8b604dd0fa0c8b50ee4b.jpg

JUST a tropical storm? If you want a hurricane, its at the back of the park!

20180422_162606.thumb.jpg.9ef01ac9533faa941c2dd6af8f2e70bf.jpg

Justice League was a ghost town. It was a great day to find more secret targets!

20180422_154545.thumb.jpg.2e9ae4357b9429e55c230115d9123e54.jpg

And since we were on the subject of Axis Arena - it is still very much used. This guide sign was near Bugs Bunny Boomtown.

If there is any one thing that I like about this ride its how nice it looks and how nice the area around it looks. The idea that its short too will mean that it will be very rerideable.

Still trying to think of a good day to ride Twisted Cyclone when it opens, thinking about a rainy day because of 2 reasons:

1. the Park will be just simply dead as come on, nobody want's to ride in the rain!

2. I'm pretty sure there will be a line, but it will probably be on the same levels as the first time i rode the original GA Cyclone.

3. Flash pass lines will be even deader, i'm considering buying a flash pass for that visit, as my experience with one back in 2013 was a pleasant one.

Cannot wait for TC!

I still cannot get enough of this view! The colors are fantastic! And with this past Sunday being on the wet side, the park was a ghost town, making un-cluttered shots possible. Curiously, there is a tropical storm flag atop the loading area building. I would think they would want a 'hurricane' (two stacked identical flags) to promote the (what is sure to be) ride's intensity. But - by definition, a 'cyclone' can refer to a tropical storm, a hurricane, or even a typhoon.

TC is scheduled to open to the public Memorial Day weekend. I have to believe the ride will open the weekend of May 19-20th as a preview to membership holders as one of the perks. If that is true, Media Day will be a few days prior to that. Oh, the anticipation!!

You think it will only open that weekend for membership holders? Not for pass holders? I'm going on the 19th so that would be cool if it was!

Still trying to think of a good day to ride Twisted Cyclone when it opens, thinking about a rainy day because of 2 reasons:

1. the Park will be just simply dead as come on, nobody want's to ride in the rain!

Cannot wait for TC!

Both my visits in 2016 had rain and I don't remember many coasters being open in the rain. I think I got a ride on Batman in light rain before they closed it. Granted it eventually transitioned to heavy rain on both days, but the rides were quick to close at the first raindrop. Maybe I visited on a bad day, but something to keep in mind.

Yeah almost all of the coasters in the park use tires to advance trains on the coasters. I believe only Blue Hawk and Dahlonega Mine Train are the only two that don't. Rain can cause issues with those tires.

They've probably changed the way they do things since I've worked there BUT during my employment at the park I learned that every ride is given a 'level' in terms of operating in the rain.

Level A rides (Acrophobia, Superman, Mind Bender, Goliath, Superman, Blue Hawk, Scorcher and more than likely Dare Devil Dive, Joker, and Sky Screamer) close at any hint of rainfall. This is because of either the type of ride (Sky Screamer, Sky Buckets), the height of the ride (Acro), or the fact that the brake runs are uncovered (Superman, Mind Bender etc.).

Level B Rides (Scream Machine, Batman, The Former Georgia Cyclone and some others) will operate in the rain because their brake runs are covered, but they will close for heavy rain to prevent issues with the brakes not functioning properly because of the wet parts on the trains.

Level C Rides (I believe the Mine Train was/is the only Level C coaster in the park but there may be a few other rides with this level) will only close if there is a severe storm in the area. I never understood this myself but I guess they have their reasons.

And Level D Rides (Monster Mansion, Justice League, etc) pretty much stay open unless its a serious emergency like a tornado or something like that.

There are employees that constantly monitor the weather radar in the area, so they'll shut down the Level A (and sometimes Level B) rides minutes before the rain even starts. They are also usually pretty good with re-opening the rides once the weather clears - as long as there's no other weather threats in the area.

Hope this helps.

They've probably changed the way they do things since I've worked there BUT during my employment at the park I learned that every ride is given a 'level' in terms of operating in the rain.

Level A rides (Acrophobia, Superman, Mind Bender, Goliath, Superman, Blue Hawk, Scorcher and more than likely Dare Devil Dive, Joker, and Sky Screamer) close at any hint of rainfall. This is because of either the type of ride (Sky Screamer, Sky Buckets), the height of the ride (Acro), or the fact that the brake runs are uncovered (Superman, Mind Bender etc.).

Level B Rides (Scream Machine, Batman, The Former Georgia Cyclone and some others) will operate in the rain because their brake runs are covered, but they will close for heavy rain to prevent issues with the brakes not functioning properly because of the wet parts on the trains.

Level C Rides (I believe the Mine Train was/is the only Level C coaster in the park but there may be a few other rides with this level) will only close if there is a severe storm in the area. I never understood this myself but I guess they have their reasons.

Awesome information!!!!!!!

Woooow! This was great information!!!!!

And Level D Rides (Monster Mansion, Justice League, etc) pretty much stay open unless its a serious emergency like a tornado or something like that.

There are employees that constantly monitor the weather radar in the area, so they'll shut down the Level A (and sometimes Level B) rides minutes before the rain even starts. They are also usually pretty good with re-opening the rides once the weather clears - as long as there's no other weather threats in the area.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the information! This is awesome!

You think it will only open that weekend for membership holders? Not for pass holders? I'm going on the 19th so that would be cool if it was!

Being a SP holder myself, I would welcome a preview weekend much like Justice League last year. But with the push for memberships now, and reading the materials regarding the membership levels, one clear stated benefit of membership was early access to new rides. It looks to be a wait and see whether SP holders will be included but it seems likely there will be a preview or soft opening of some sort.

Quick question regarding Twisted Cyclone...

We know that the hill following the overbank after the wave turn has been strongly defined, however, I've heard that following their will be a double up ascending into that same overbank (following the wave turn)?

^ Wow. That thing looks like it carries a lot of speed throughout the course.

Dang, I just missed it by a few hours. They were doing a lot of structural work earlier, including tightening bolts, etc. Can’t wait for this to open in a few weeks.

^ Wow. That thing looks like it carries a lot of speed throughout the course.

Dang, I just missed it by a few hours. They were doing a lot of structural work earlier, including tightening bolts, etc. Can’t wait for this to open in a few weeks.

I agree even up into the side bank into the brake run! It looks like it's going to actually yank riders through the course! Awesome job Alan! Coaster addict has also posted it on YouTube. See the hd version here (skip to 1:28-2:12) :