TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Georgia (SFOG) Discussion Thread

I'm mostly indifferent to the (assuming) RMC makeover of the Georgia Cyclone. I liked the ride as is just fine, but if the conversion is similar to their previous work this will go from being a ride a lot of the GP probably don't care about to one of the best rides in the park.

I've only been to SFOG a handful of times but I can't really remember ever waiting in a line for the Cyclone, I expect that to change.

If Georgia Cyclone becomes an RMC upgrade, that leaves Boss, SFA Roar and Monstre as the remaining candidates for Six Flags. Great Adventure's Toro was of course built by RMC and is as good, even if it doesn't have any loop de loops ...

Best Schwartzkopf in the country, my favorite B&M hyper (haven't been on 325 or Mako, but have been on the others in the US), best standup, lots of shady trees - and an RMC for perfection on top.

Great Adventure's Toro was of course built by RMC

You know, not all great woodies in six flags parks are RMCS, right?

El Toro was physically constucted by RMC. However, Intamin designed it and outsourced the prefab track manufacturing, the catwalks, and a few other misc parts to Cordes Holzbau (a German firm).

Concerning Cyclone closing, count me in on the boat of those who really enjoyed the ride. I prefer it much to GASM - I found it a more intense, complete, and excitingof a ride. I didn't find it too rough, especially since most of times that I rode it that I can remember where after parts where replaced with topper track.

The only thing I disliked about the ride was the terrible screaching it created. The noise alone caused headaches for me, even though I didn't find the ride rough. If you were to ask me which coaster makes the most obnoxious sound, Georgia Cyclone would have been my immediate answer.

Haven't most of the conversions happened in about the time there would be to have Georgia Cyclone ready for next season? The one's that are extra long are Texas Giant, Mean Streak, and Hurler, but what about Joker, Storm Chaser, Colossus, Rattler, and Medusa?

Although it's still early, the announced closure date is in line with previously-used timelines for past Six Flags RMC conversions like Joker, Wicked Cyclone, and Medusa. Assuming there aren't any unforeseen delays, I'd bet we'd see the coaster open to the public by the normal late-spring/early summer period we're accustom to from Six Flags.

If they're planning an RMC conversion it likely won't be ready for the 2018 season. It took two years to complete work on NTAG.

This is false. Wicked Cyclone closed around this time and was ready for the next season.

This. Plus Georgia won't have to deal with the New England winter, so I think they left themselves more than enough time. NTAG was a much larger coaster.

If they're planning an RMC conversion it likely won't be ready for the 2018 season. It took two years to complete work on NTAG.

Every other RMC conversion for the SF chain since Texas Giant has taken place in one off season. Texas Giant was the first, so naturally that took a little more time to perfect and as others have stated, Texas Giant was a much larger undertaking. Georgia Cyclone will most likely be open by, or around Memorial Day Weekend of 2018.

An RMC also fits in that SFOG is one of only 5 parks in the chain without an RMC. Also, will be interesting to see if they utilize any of the land behind the ride (the never-used parkway road) to expand the area a bit. With such a large project on the way, the area would really benefit from additional space, not to mention food/bev locations given the constant crowded state of the Johnny Rockets.

Although this project is for 2018, it is cool they will announce it during their 50th season. Not bad for a golden anniversary gift!

This could open fully before Lightning Rod. I know the latter is an entirely different ride and is out of technical rehearsal, but it had a 2 year head start and it's really frustrating it still isn't running reliably.

I know I'm asking for speculation, but do we know what sort of ride this should be when they're done? I'm pretty ignorant about most of this I guess. When RMC comes in to do one of these is it a complete rebuild or more of a refresh? In other words would you guys expect us to get something completely different out of this or just a better Cyclone?

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk