TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Georgia (SFOG) Discussion Thread

A tornado warning (SAME code: TOR) is an alert issued by national weather forecasting agencies to warn the public that severe thunderstorms with tornadoes are imminent or occurring. It can be issued after a tornado or funnel cloud has been spotted by the public, storm chasers, emergency management or law enforcement, or more commonly if there are radar indications of tornado formation.

So usually if there has been a warning a tornado has been spotted but might not of touched down

Not saying there was or wasn't a tornado there but if there was a warning then it is very possible one was in the area

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

A tornado warning (SAME code: TOR) is an alert issued by national weather forecasting agencies to warn the public that severe thunderstorms with tornadoes are imminent or occurring. It can be issued after a tornado or funnel cloud has been spotted by the public, storm chasers, emergency management or law enforcement, or more commonly if there are radar indications of tornado formation.

Absolutely. But Tornado Warnings are usually issued on a county-by-county basis, in this case it means that a Tornado has been spotted or is likely somewhere in Fulton/north Dekalb (and apparently Cobb) counties which is a lot different than saying "A tornado was spotted at the park". That's why I asked for a source. I'm just curious, the Dollywood thread is making me even more critical of absolutely everything I read on the internet than usual.

A tornado did occur near the park, and there is damage that extends to north of downtown near Buckhead. I can't find any reports to suggest that the park was hit, or that a tornado was spotted at the park. The warning for the area (which included the park) was issued at 138 PM EST.

Edited by The Great Zo

The warning was issued because radar indicated a strong circulation in the vicinity of the park. The closest damage being reported as of now is at the intersection of Mableton Parkway / Discovery Blvd, about two miles NE of the park. It's very unlikely the park was affected.

Sorry for the double post...but I have a few more questions...

It looks like it will be pretty cold on Friday night. Do all of the rides stay open?

Also, does Dare Devil Dive have the Santa VR for Dare Devil Dive?

Thanks for everyone's help!

Last year I was at the park when it was open until midnight during Fright Fest and they had season passholder ERT on DDD from midnight to 1am. By 1am it was 29 degrees and still running.

Similarly, I have been to HITP when it is below 40 and everything was still running. You should be fine, but if the park is not busy they will quickly use that as an excuse and close the entire park early. This happened to be before when the temp was still in the 40s. They do not have a consistent policy at all.

No VR on DDD as others have mentioned, but the line can still easily be two hours long. I was at the park the first Sunday of November and Goliath was 2/3rds empty, yet DDD still had at least a 30 minute line.

Shame it didnt touch down on Georgia Cyclone and rip that turd to shreds.

As a Georgia Cyclone fanboy I take offense to this.

For those who are concerned about the park, SFOG is in one of Georgia's "tornado alleys" and almost every time we have storms, news stations use SFOG as a nearby landmark when a tornado threat is west of the city. I wouldn't take it very seriously unless actual reports of damage come out.

Got a survey today about new characters and a few new restaurant concepts (mainly a fresh bakery).. In the past, the survey's I get usually end up being true and happening. Wonder if there is one planned for GA? I'd love a fresh bakery there like Dollywood and Disney have! I know they have the candy shop but still a full bakery would be nice

Here's the path of the tornado yesterday. Winds of 100 MPH and a path length of ¾ mile. The start of the tornado's path was under a mile from SFOG. Quite the week of weather / theme park close calls, with the wildfire near Dollywood and another tornado two miles from Carowinds.

sfog_tornado.png.f13ad18b0a443deb8d30f29c892a8e10.png

Georgia Cyclone isn't that bad. Aside from it feeling like it has square wheels during all the turns, the straight parts were pretty good!! . . . Hmmm, straight parts. . .

Georgia Cyclone isn't that bad. Aside from it feeling like it has square wheels during all the turns, the straight parts were pretty good!! . . . Hmmm, straight parts. . .

All Dinn wooden coasters have square wheels: Mean Streak, Hercules, Psyclone, Texas Giant, Etc.

• 3 weeks later...

The park hosted a construction tour today. According to this video lots of changes are coming this season:

-Cotton States is becoming Metropolis. Some of the games are being removed while the rest will be updated to this theme.

-GASM and Blue Hawk will be a part of Lickskillet.

The best news:

-Superman: Ultimate Flight will be repainted and will finally have all three trains available for use!

The best news:

-Superman: Ultimate Flight will be repainted and will finally have all three trains available for use!

I'm sure I'm not alone in being surprised by this! I never expected them to run three trains on Superman again! I assume this means that they will return to the duel station operations? Or is the plan to run three trains with the single station operation?

Superman stacks as is meaning if they run all three trains but keep single station operations, it really wouldn't accomplish anything other than people being uncomfortable on the brake run so I'd bet dual station operations

SFOG suffers from some very slow loading coasters and Superman has always been one of the biggest problems. The line moves super slow and there is hardly any shade over there so in the summer time it can be a brutal wait. Getting this coaster up to its optimal use would be wonderful! I wouldn't be surprised if they added a swinging pendulum ride over in the new Metropolis area in the future themed to Wonder Woman. It would be an awesome fit in that area. As for the Lickskillet area, GASM and Blue Hawk doesn't fit that area's theming at all...But it's Six Flags so that's typical, right? Hopefully that area can be the next to get rethemed and hopefully add something in Deja Vu's old spot in the future.

My one concern is that they didn't say they would use all three trains, they just said all three trains will be available.. hopefully they don't keep a third as a backup only.. I know several times this season, one train or half a train has been down so having and extra backup would really help BUT I hope they actually use all three!

The park hosted a construction tour today. According to this video lots of changes are coming this season:

-Cotton States is becoming Metropolis. Some of the games are being removed while the rest will be updated to this theme.

-GASM and Blue Hawk will be a part of Lickskillet.

The best news:

This is truly exciting! I love all the little things SFOG has done over the past year to become a better park.