TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Georgia (SFOG) Discussion Thread

Isn't the playground in BoomTown relocated from WhistleStop Park? If so, does that area not exist anymore? That area could be a great location for a new attraction.

It is relocated (they didn't even repaint the roof on it which looks really worn down). WhistleStop Park looks like a wasteland now. Everything is still there including the entry sign with the signage itself ripped off. It honestly looks really bad but I am thinking that area will be next year's expansion (hopefully a coaster).

Also, I spoke with Dale last season and he said Whistlestop Park was still around with just the playground because it was a necessary haven for parents with small children. Shortly after, the kid's areas were announced and now Whistlestop is gone. He said that area would not be developed until they no longer needed the playground there, and that there is a plan to utilize that space.

Edited by SFOG1991

Park Journey reports that they spoke directly with Dale, Park President and that Dale confirmed that Vekoma is doing the track work on Ninja, Ninja will receive Vekoma brand vest restraints (no word on if it will be new trains or retrofitted onto the existing Arrow trains that came from SFGAdv but I would assume new trains). He also confirmed the color change and hinted that the name Ninja may change, but that's still being decided.

Additionally, he recognized that next year is the 50th anniversary for the park and that big anniversaries mean but things and that "you" (referring to the Park Journey person) would be particularly pleased, so that hints at a new coaster.

^Good lord, 4 hours for Goliath??? I mean it's a great ride, but no way would I wait that long for it.

Did you ever get on GA Cyclone? Any track work done for it? I'm honestly fully expecting Six Flags to announce its closure later this year with the amount of woodies in the chain being converted to RMC recently.

I got a ride on Cyclone in a middle row. It was assigned seating or I would have gone for the penultimate row, but it was a surprisingly great ride! I noted some fresh wood in various places throughout the ride but didn’t see signs of any real track work beyond annual maintenance. The ride ran well though, certainly a lot better than it did the second half of last season, which I thought was horrendous.

Park Journey reports that they spoke directly with Dale, Park President and that Dale confirmed that Vekoma is doing the track work on Ninja, Ninja will receive Vekoma brand vest restraints (no word on if it will be new trains or retrofitted onto the existing Arrow trains that came from SFGAdv but I would assume new trains). He also confirmed the color change and hinted that the name Ninja may change, but that's still being decided.

Additionally, he recognized that next year is the 50th anniversary for the park and that big anniversaries mean but things and that "you" (referring to the Park Journey person) would be particularly pleased, so that hints at a new coaster.

Why not, Let's play the game:

Ninja Rename: Titan

2017 Attraction: RMC Georgia Cyclone OR S&S Free Spin

Why not, Let's play the game:

Ninja Rename: Titan

2017 Attraction: RMC Georgia Cyclone OR S&S Free Spin

I wish they could keep the Ninja name/theme as I assume the elements of theming like the ninja statues would go to waste and we would doubtfully see a new theme added. Whatever it takes to keep the ride around and justify the new restraint expense is fine with me though.

As for the new coaster possibility, I hope it will be something custom and not come at the expense of an existing coaster, but based on my conversation with Dale, the next major attraction/coaster is likely to go in the old spot of Whistlestop Park (which expands infinitely into the parking lot). I would love to see Cyclone stay as is, but since they stopped the full RMC topper retrack after phase one, I assume it is on the "to be RMC reprofiled" list.

I was really hoping SFOG would complete the Topper Track conversion with Cyclone and add a barrel roll on that third hill that hugs the lift without making it a huge, flashy reprofile. I guess it's either not worth the rest of the conversion or slated to become an Iron Horse. Don't really care how they rebrand Ninja as long as they don't use those giant-themed Titan/Goliath/Colossus trademarks. Hurricane would be cool since it'll be blue and over water.

And please please let there be a huge custom ridiculous out-and-back piece of trash next year. For fun.

I guess it's either not worth the rest of the conversion or slated to become an Iron Horse.

I saw an interview with Fred Grubb recently where he said that as of now they are no longer offering Topper Track repairs to existing wooden coasters because of how busy they are with new builds/ full layout conversions.

Not sure if this has been asked, but how are they addressing the sanitization issue for these goggles. Not sure I feel comfortable sharing head sweat with all of West Atlanta.

Six Flags has stated several times that they wipe down each set with a medically-approved sanitation wipe after each use. How well it works--it's probably too early to tell. But they claim to have it under control. I believe the part that touches your face is also made with some special anti-bacterial leather or something along those lines.

Hi Everyone,

I'm new here, just reading all the posts. I'm a season pass holder at Six Flags Georgia, and will be going for the first time this year on Sunday, March 27 with a friend. It looks like there is a decent chance of rain that day. I think we will drive there anyway (2 hours) and take our chances. I'm really looking forward to any first hand reports here. Someone mentioned that Easter Sunday might be very busy, but I'm hoping the opposite is true.

Nice to meet you.

How busy does everyone think the park will be during spring break, like Tues and Wed and will they have more than one train running on most of the coasters?

Normally, the park has always had 2 train operations throughout the park all season, but that hasn't been the case so far this season. They did manage to get Great American Scream Machine up to 2 trains this past weekend (it was 1 train opening weekend) so here is what the rides are like now:

Goliath: 1 train (causing 3 hour lines when it would probably be about 20 minutes with 2 trains)

DDD: 3 or 4 but the VR brings the ride's capacity down to about 60-100 people per hour, resulting in 4+ hour lines

Scorcher: 2 trains (10-15 minute line)

Cyclone: 1 train (2 hour line)

Mind Bender: 1 train (2 hour line easily)

Superman: 2 trains (still a slow long line)

GASM: up to 2 trains now (15 minute line last Sunday, was a 2+ hour line with 1 train opening weekend)

Ninja: Closed until Memorial Day Weekend

Batman: Not sure, haven't gotten around to it.

Canyon Blaster/Joker Funhouse Coaster: Closed until Memorial Day Weekend

Dahlonega Mine Train: 2 trains (20-30 minute wait last Sunday)

Sky Screamer: 30-45 minute line (running on the short cycle mode)

Acrophobia: 30-45 minute wait (as of Sunday)

Even if they get 2 train ops on all coasters for Spring Break, expect it to be surprisingly busy for a weekday.

We (my family) went opening weekend. Saturday was a nightmare. We waited 2 and half hours for GASM and over 2 hours for Superman. Sunday was a lot better. Still only one train ops, but the crowds were not as bad. I figure if the crowds showed up during spring break, that running more than one train would really help. It seems like they were not ready for the crowds opening weekend.

From the reviews I've read about this years opening weekend do you think it will make SF decide to have more staff and more trains on the coasters for next year? Or will it even affect it at all?

From the reviews I've read about this years opening weekend do you think it will make SF decide to have more staff and more trains on the coasters for next year? Or will it even affect it at all?

Part of the problem is they have had several weeks of offseason disappear thanks to Holiday In The Park.

Holiday in the Park is more than worth coasters running one train at the start of the season so I refuse to complain. Also no, a 3 hour line would not be a 20 minute line with 2 trains instead of one. If they never stacked it would at most double the capacity, not magically give the ride 9 times the capacity it had with one (unless of course Flash Pass is being horribly mismanaged).

Holiday in the Park is more than worth coasters running one train at the start of the season so I refuse to complain. Also no, a 3 hour line would not be a 20 minute line with 2 trains instead of one. If they never stacked it would at most double the capacity, not magically give the ride 9 times the capacity it had with one (unless of course Flash Pass is being horribly mismanaged).

I had pretty much word for word the exact same thing typed out ready to submit but then Bill reads my mind and posts it for me. Anyways, yes that logic makes no sense and is mathematically impossible. Thanks for echoing my mind

Went to SFOG yesterday and I was amazed. Not amazed in a good way, amazed in a bad way. It was raining yesterday and most rides were closed. No, that didn't amaze me. What did amaze me was that the rides were wide open. Gates were wide open, not closed off and no park attendee was present at the ride. Any joe blow could walk right up to the ride and do whatever because it wasn't closed off. Just for craps and giggles, I walked right up to the Joker Coaster and stood next to the ride itself and nobody was around or looked, or seemed to care. Seriously, I was worried. I have a season pass to this park and anybody could do damage to this ride or any other ride that wasn't being watched. So I went up to a worker and told them my concern. I walked down there later and still didn't see anyone. This park needs a management overhaul. Yes, I understand it was Easter, and it was a rainy day, but still...At least rope the ride off. Just don't leave it open with no supervision. I am worried about SFOG. Carowinds has three train operations on Fury 325 and Intimidator but SFOG can't get but one train going on Goliath? I am going to write the park with my concerns but something tells me nothing will be done. And I'm not sure if this is a SFOG problem or a Six Flags problem. Either way, they need to step up their game.

^That is horrendous operations and service quality.

Opening day was an absolute mess like that too, however last Sunday (the Sunday before Easter) was MUCH better. There were still a lot of issues and Cyclone, Mind Bender and Goliath desperately need their second trains in operation, but at least it wasn't so terrible. DDD still opened almost 2 hours late too.

I am pretty concerned about the operations this year which seem to be ranging from just barely good enough to downright awful.

Carowinds has three train operations on Fury 325 and Intimidator but SFOG can't get but one train going on Goliath? I am going to write the park with my concerns but something tells me nothing will be done. And I'm not sure if this is a SFOG problem or a Six Flags problem. Either way, they need to step up their game.

Supposedly Goliath's trains are getting major work done this year that is causing them to take longer for rehab. Again, they have literally cut their off season in half. It's much easier to get trains done with a 21 week offseason (Carowinds) vs a 10 week offseason (SFOG). I'm sorry, but I enjoyed riding coasters in December when I was in Atlanta. If the trade off is fewer trains in March then I'll take it. But maybe that is just me.

Carowinds has three train operations on Fury 325 and Intimidator but SFOG can't get but one train going on Goliath? I am going to write the park with my concerns but something tells me nothing will be done. And I'm not sure if this is a SFOG problem or a Six Flags problem. Either way, they need to step up their game.

Supposedly Goliath's trains are getting major work done this year that is causing them to take longer for rehab. Again, they have literally cut their off season in half. It's much easier to get trains done with a 21 week offseason (Carowinds) vs a 10 week offseason (SFOG). I'm sorry, but I enjoyed riding coasters in December when I was in Atlanta. If the trade off is fewer trains in March then I'll take it. But maybe that is just me.