TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Georgia (SFOG) Discussion Thread

^The hours for HITP are on SFOG's website and I think if you plan it right you will be fine. The days/hours are great this year. Even better than last year. They are doing 10pm closing every day of the event instead of dropping it to 8pm after Christmas. So many good slower days to go to the park in that schedule!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I didn't see the photo or video or whatever of what you are all talking about, but standard operating procedure on Manta at SWO is after the trains go into flying position, all ops on platform are sup

If I can't drive my own car through a big, bright, orange plastic loop at 80 MPH then no sale. 🤣  

Coaster Studios is a little whiny douchebag.

Posted Images

^I will try to! I have a full trip report from last year but I never posted it

I was thoroughly impressed last year, even after having just been at Dollywood's Smoky Mountain Christmas. I was shocked how well Six Flags pulled the event off. I really had no complaints and was just impressed for the most part. It should just be better this year with almost the entire park open.

Went to holiday in the park last night from 5-10. I was pretty impressed wit all the decorations and the atmosphere was nice. It was packed though, we got there at 5( an hour after it opened) and the lines to get in the park were pretty long. I saw dale kaetzel outside the front entrance gate talking to people, which was cool. Later that night, my friends and I walked to the back of the park only to find that the cotton states area and superman were closed. I was kinda bummed but Im just glad the park stays open this late in the year. I had a great time and hopefully I'll go again before the seasons over. And by the way, I picked up a cinnamon pretzel( gotta love that dining pass) and it was actually really good.

• 5 weeks later...

Went to the Park today. I got to the park at 1:30 and got on Cyclone and Scorcher before rope drop.

In chronological order i did

DDD

BTR(Front row)

MB

Joker

Acro

Goliath

Monster Mansion

Joker

Scorcher (Front row)

I left at 7 and the park was pretty crowded. All rides had 45+ min waits. There was 1 train ops on BTR,MB,Cyclone all day long. Scorcher started with 1 train but they added another one later in the day. Overall it was a good day at the park.

^

I'm surprised it was that crowded. I've seen decently light crowds the days I have gone and would think Tuesday after Christmas would be the ideal day to go!

I'm probably heading there tomorrow night. I am hoping it won't be too busy and people will head out to do other New Year's Eve festivities. I wanted to go Sunday but I will be on a ski trip (which is fine by me!)

I didn't take pics, but yes it had started. If you're familiar with Bugs Bunny world, the little pink Ferris wheel was gone and that area was fenced off with wood. Everything else was untouched yet though, best I could tell.

• 2 weeks later...
So, could SFOG get another HH expansion for 2017? I'm really hoping so as it still needs quite a bit more.

HH has 3 total expansions that were (Separated every other year) planned for it so 2017 should be the next expansion for it. Was supposed to be 2016 but they opted for the BBBT retheme. I have 3 kids so I'm excited to see it.

I went last year on opening day.. Not bad at all.. Now their official full opening weekend (when they open new major rides and such and start being open everyday) is a different story!! That weekends normally in May.. It has been very packed last few years

This could also be BC that weekend is usually around memorial day

Opening day used to be completely dead, with open seats on Goliath all day, but now that they open later in March and usually have events going on during the first few weekends, it is a bit busier but still barely any lines. Also, this season they are opening a week earlier than they did last season which can only help a bit.

The park posted a video of the Bugs Bunny World demolition and sadly it looks like they removed the awesome character fountain which I was hoping they would just clean up and keep.

I go every year on Easter Sunday and it is always a great time. The place isn't crowded and there is plenty of time to ride everything you wish. Daredevil Dive and Superman are the only lines, and they are still very reasonable.

Opening day used to always be dead, but I haven't been on one in a very long time.

I have never been to SFoG on opening day. I was thinking about going this year. Is it usually REALLY busy that day, or just like any other sat?

It depends on the weather that day. Also, don't expect the water rides to be open yet they usually open 2 weeks after. Last year was in between but lines were still pretty short. Opens March 12 this year. I'll be there as always. My 19th season pass season.

Sounds like it will be a great time to go. We bought memberships back in Dec and got the upgrade to combo gold. We live about 3 and 1/2 hours away and usually have 4 kids with us so we try and plan our trips on days that are not very crowded.

Continuing the crowds theme of this thread. During the season are Sundays typically crowded? I'm trying to plan a one day trip. Debating between taking a weekday off work and going or a Sunday. Plan at the moment is to be crazy and fly down to Atlanta and back to Cleveland the same day.

^That sounds like my kind of trip!

Sundays really vary. They are much better than Saturdays, which are almost always crowded. If you go on a Sunday before summer (and not during Spring Break) it will not be too busy. In the summer, it will be busier, but still much better than Saturday. Just be aware of events at the park because the park lines events up for Sundays that can really attract a crowd. Military Appreciation Day last year was awful.

Weekdays in the summer are definitely the best time to go, and I've had the best luck on Tuesdays. If you don't want to take off work, a Sunday will be fine as long as it isn't during a major event/promotion.

In case you want park tips... If you can get to the park 45 minutes before opening, that is best. The park usually opens Georgia Scorcher and Georgia Cyclone a half hour early. When the rope drops at opening up by Georgia Scorcher, proceed directly to Dare Devil Dive. Even on light days it can have a nearly 2 hour wait which will form within an hour of the park being open and it will stay like that all day. Keep in mind, Mind Bender may still be 1 train operation and it is a great ride so definitely go to Gotham City next as Batman can get quite a line as well. After that go to the back of the park and ride Superman because it too can get a really bad line with slow ops. You can ride Goliath at any time. The line usually shortens throughout the later part of the day and moves very quickly anyways.

Don't miss out on Monster Mansion and Acrophobia. Both great rides. Dahlonega Mine Train and Joker Funhouse Coaster are both good too for family coasters. Joker Funhouse Coaster has surprising airtime in the back on the first drop.

My GF and I go up for the entire weekend, several times a year (we are three hours away).. We always look fwd to Sunday mornings the best! Never any lines until about 2 or 3 and then very manageable lines.. That's normally when we head back home though.

Few hours there on Sunday and you can ride everything multiple times easy!

So I posted at some point a while back that I was trying to get to this park. My sister lives in Athens and she has been bugging me to come visit, so I am currently looking at Friday April 8th-11th to be in town, which looks like the end of the week SFOG is open everyday for spring break? Is that a correct assumption?

I'd be flying Philly to Atlanta and I don't drive so rental car is out of the equation. According to sister, there are shuttles that will take me from the airport to Athens, but I figure the park is closer to the airport and downtown Atlanta so it makes more sense to me to fly in early Fri morning and head right to the park, and either have sis grab me from airport, go to SFOG for the day, and then head to Athens and spend the weekend there w/ her.

So some questions:

1. In the event it works out where she's going to meet me at the park (or not join me at all) is there an easy way via a train/bus/public transit that would get me directly from the airport to the park? If not, is there Uber in Atlanta? Looks like its about a 20-30 minute drive from Airport to SFOG. Would it be ridiculous to rely on that option?

2. All day lockers. In the event I am alone are there reliable reasonably priced all day lockers I could put my luggage in if I fly in and go right to SFOG solo for the day? I travel light but this would be all my stuff for the entire weekend.

2. Crowds. Since its the Friday (or even if it works out we go Saturday the 9th or Sunday the 10th, that weekend) should I expect Spring Break insanity? I will absolutely budget flash passes in to this trip so if the crowds call for it, I will splurge. Are there tiers like at Great Adv (Regular/Platinum/Gold) and what are the prices usually? Any weird specials like only 1 ride per pass for certain rides or something? Does Platinum get you two re-rides?

3. I would love some advice on the best way to make my way around the park. Based on what I've read here, my plan would be to hit up DDD right away, Goliath, and head to the back for Superman, and work my way back up front. I'd like to hit every coaster, the dark ride, the drop ride, Sky Screamer, and if its warm enough the water rides (flume, etc) Is it usually warm enough by then for those to be open? My must rides are: DDD, Goliath, Mindbender, Batman, Scorcher, Acrophobia, Ninja(only because I rode it years ago as Kamikaze so nostalgia), Mine Train. GASM and Cyclone.

4. Any other must dos? Must eat food? Must see shows? (Are there shows?) Come on locals - help me out and while you're at it sell your park!

Thanks!

I've never been to the park but it sounds like Monster Mansion is a serious must-do.

Also did you have some kind of bet going to see how long it would take me to show up and tell you you forgot something from the must-ride list?

I'll give you a hint... It starts with Peachtree and rhymes with By Skuckets and the operations are really a sight to behold.

Alright I'll leave now and let someone who's actually been to the park answer your questions. Lol +1 for not asking if the new ride would be open. I don't even remember what they're getting, but no.

^ LOL I think its all kiddie rides this year, no? Waterpark stuff? Neither of interest to me. Id just like to do a round of the coasters, maybe a few re-rides on Goliath & Mindbender. Also are you talking about the Skyride? I would like to do that too. They have a train too, right?