TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Georgia (SFOG) Discussion Thread

Also, a heads up for your visit, operation opening weekend were terrible compared to previous years. Extremely slow dispatches on most rides, Ninja is completely closed, Mind Bender is 1 train, Batman Backwards has been 1 train or non-operational, DDD has just 2 of 4 cars running, GASM had 1 train when I was there, Monster Mansion was closed, the water rides don't look like they have been prepped at all so who knows if they will be open. The park has been getting progressively better with operations in 2013 and 2014 so I was really disappointed to see how poor the operations are starting off this season.

I didn’t think the ops were *that* bad for an opening day weekend, or necessarily that much worse than they have been in previous years. There’s new ops and new procedures and lots of training happening, and despite best intentions, there will be some issues. Though you’re right that the park isn’t ready to go in a lot of areas right now, note that this is their first season after having a Holiday in the Park, which effectively cut their off-season maintenance time by almost half.

Any idea if there are plans to install topper track on GASM? Last time I rode it, even with the new wood on the return, it was still rough. I think it would be cool if it got a Texas Giant type makeover. Add a couple of heartline rolls and new trains and you'd have a win for me.

I'm not sure how easy this would be, and I'm sure the discussion has happened. I'm just late to the game.

Mindbender's single train status might be due to the scarcity of Intimin/Schwarzkopf rolling stock to pull from? I thought they were still running two trains, and just cannibalizing the third which may have finally run out of parts.

I'm just hoping they don't run out of money for green water dye.

This park still has a lot of work to do, but at least they are trying to go in the right direction.

Any idea if there are plans to install topper track on GASM? Last time I rode it, even with the new wood on the return, it was still rough. I think it would be cool if it got a Texas Giant type makeover. Add a couple of heartline rolls and new trains and you'd have a win for me.

The general consensus is that the Scream Machine will remain a traditional wooden coaster for the long haul. A combination of reasons for this... the layout probably isn't ideal for an I-box makeover, it maintains a "classic" type of reputation with its appearance and history, it has been fairly well maintained in comparison to the previous SF coaster revamped by RMC, etc.

Many argue Cyclone is a better candidate for an I-box revamp, for that matter, and I would agree.

That said, its Six Flags. You never really know what's on the chopping block these days; both Colossus and Cyclone were believed to be either safe or set to be scrapped until pretty much mid-summer.

Many argue Cyclone is a better candidate for an I-box revamp, for that matter, and I would agree.

That said, its Six Flags. You never really know what's on the chopping block these days; both Colossus and Cyclone were believed to be either safe or set to be scrapped until pretty much mid-summer.

Thanks for info! The thought never occurred Cyclone would be the better candidate, but that would give it more mass appeal. No one wants to ride Cyclone with me anymore because of how rough it can be, especially late in the season.

It seems to me that Six Flags is slowly trending towards hybridizing (is that a word?) all their wooden coasters, and who can blame them? RMC's refurbs are sexy as crap!

I was thinking GASM more so because of the expansion room around it. I know it's a classic, personally one of my favorites, but Colossus was a classic too.

I'm looking forward to the new cars on Ninja. I think I have partial hearing loss from the uncontrollable banging of my ears against the restraints.

I should file a SoB lawsuit. JK

^Thanks for the heads up! It's such a shame the operations are poor, and more coaster trains aren't running. On all my visits since the early 90s, operations at the park have been poor. It's kind of par for Six Flags' reputation as the "wal-mart" of the theme park industry, but it still stinks. Things were running better when Shapiro was in charge.

Luckily, I'll be there on a Thurs/Fri, and then a weekend event (including 1 hour ERT on 3 coasters), so I'll probably get plenty of rides in.

It is disappointing because operations were honestly pretty good last year. They really had everything together for Fright Fest and Holiday In The Park was pretty good as well. I hope it improves. I expected it to be better than opening day last year since their hiring process seems to have improved but I guess not.

You will be fine since you will be there for 3 days! I think you'll be impressed with Cyclone's improvement, even if it doesn't compare to when it first opened.

I'll be at the event on April 11th (I assume you mean Spring Fling) as well with my boyfriend. The ERT will be a great time to get night rides on Mind Bender and avoid the usual 1 train operations line.

I've been planning to go to the park for 3 or 4 days early next month, but hearing Mind Bender is only running one train, I might shorten my trip. What a bummer... I remember when the ride had 3 trains.

How's Georgia Cyclone faring these days? I know the first 2 drops had topper track put on, I'm looking forward to seeing what that is like. On my visits in 2011 and 2007, it was a horribly rough AND slow ride. I wish I could beem back to 1990, what a ride that was!

Mind Bender has been running just one train since I believe late July of last summer. The train is in pieces between the maintenance building and the first loop and seems to have not been moved since being placed there, which makes me wonder how much longer it will be that way. I mean 8 months is a long time for one train operations and you would think they could have pretty much any issue fixed by now. I really hope they are actually working on it...

Georgia Cyclone has the topper track from the first drop through the bottom of the second drop as you mentioned. I was a bit skeptical at first but hopestly topper track is AMAZING on the ride. Sadly they never continued that job but they did retrack the third drop with new wood, and retracked a few other small parts along the course. It is running MUCH better than it has in previous years. The front seat isn't even rough now and the front of the last car is only a bit rough and the airtime is great.

GASM was running great in my opinion in 2012/2013, but last year was pretty bad. It has become rough and that masks the floater airtime. Luckily the did retrack the first half of the return stretch but it needs more work honestly.

Ninja is also a much more enjoyable ride than it was a few years ago. The Arrow trains helped a lot and the ride has just become consistently smoother. I actually really enjoy it now. The slight headbanging doesn't bother me whereas a few years ago it was awful.

Also, a heads up for your visit, operation opening weekend were terrible compared to previous years. Extremely slow dispatches on most rides, Ninja is completely closed, Mind Bender is 1 train, Batman Backwards has been 1 train or non-operational, DDD has just 2 of 4 cars running, GASM had 1 train when I was there, Monster Mansion was closed, the water rides don't look like they have been prepped at all so who knows if they will be open. The park has been getting progressively better with operations in 2013 and 2014 so I was really disappointed to see how poor the operations are starting off this season.

Scream Machine was up to two trains on Sunday, Scorcher was also up to two trains on Sunday, from one on Saturday.. All the parks that have ran Batman backwards have ran two trains right?? I saw the other train in the transfer shed, and it looked to be turned in their backwards but it was hard to tell because I was in the back/front of the train. Log Jamboree was open, they usually open Thunder River and Splashwater around spring break, if you get a chance go to where the pay cannons are and look out on an empty thunder River, I think it's neat looking all drained.

I did see the second Batman train and it was backwards, so their intention at least is to run 2 trains.

Thunder River does look cool empty. When it is running it is probably the most realistic rapids ride I have seen. In the summer when a thunder storm rolls in they actually drain it for the storm then refill it (at least I have seen that). The process is really impressive! Very fast.

Anyone else happy that they're investing into Gotham City this year? I mean, we do get the Super Loop and Namtab, but I do like that Six Flags also invested into a Tilt-a-Whirl into the park as well. That's nice of them to give the park a little something extra instead of just the Super Loop. I still miss Wheelie, but at least the people at Fun Spot areally enjoying it.

I was there yesterday and they had both running on batman

As an FYI batman is not on regular or gold flash pass.. Must buy platinum for batman.. I just purchased the gold and waiting in line for batman.. 29 min wait right at opening with both trains going. Not sure about Sunday, it could be on all the passes on Sunday.. Also still no dare devil dive on regular or gold!

As for park operations I felt it was running smoothly.. Besides all the on the job training that was going on, I was happy with the operations.. Plus, on the job training is a must anyways so that is unavoidable..

Love how you can just buy a flash pass now! No more waiting for the spill about how it works to be over

Also love the green sports cup!! Free refills all season and only $4 more than the red (regular) sports cup.. No more buying wrist bands every visit for free soda haha..

Overall fun day, very crowded but gold flash pass did the trick! Most waits on it where under 20 mins

I was there yesterday and they had both running on batman

As an FYI batman is not on regular or gold flash pass.. Must buy platinum for batman.. I just purchased the gold and waiting in line for batman.. 29 min wait right at opening with both trains going. Not sure about Sunday, it could be on all the passes on Sunday.. Also still no dare devil dive on regular or gold!

As for park operations I felt it was running smoothly.. Besides all the on the job training that was going on, I was happy with the operations.. Plus, on the job training is a must anyways so that is unavoidable..

Love how you can just buy a flash pass now! No more waiting for the spill about how it works to be over

Also love the green sports cup!! Free refills all season and only $4 more than the red (regular) sports cup.. No more buying wrist bands every visit for free soda haha..

Overall fun day, very crowded but gold flash pass did the trick! Most waits on it where under 20 mins

That's strange about the flash pass because last Sunday I know I was in line with regular and gold users because of the color of the qbots, but like you said maybe it's because I went on Sunday with a flash pass, I do notice the prices seem to fluctuate on the time of year etc.. Also, did Daredevil Dive have all its cars back or was it down to 2 still?

I couldn't say.. It was moving very slow so I assume just two still.. I timed it and there was over a min wait between trains on the lift... If its not on the flash pass I don't ride it. Two years ago it was on the gold flash pass during fright fest.. That's been the only time I have been on it except for a few times on a Sunday morning before the crowd was big

Ninja was also still down so where the water rides.. Monster Mansion was operating though..

But yeah maybe batman is just not on the Saturday Flash pass or maybe they took it off the gold and regular trying to move more platinum.. Of course I heard people complain in every flash pass line to the flash pass op asking why batman wasn't on it.. They all said idk lol

Either way I ran to batman first and only waited 30 mins so it was bad yet

I couldn't say.. It was moving very slow so I assume just two still.. I timed it and there was over a min wait between trains on the lift... If its not on the flash pass I don't ride it. Two years ago it was on the gold flash pass during fright fest.. That's been the only time I have been on it except for a few times on a Sunday morning before the crowd was big

Ninja was also still down so where the water rides.. Monster Mansion was operating though..

But yeah maybe batman is just not on the Saturday Flash pass or maybe they took it off the gold and regular trying to move more platinum.. Of course I heard people complain in every flash pass line to the flash pass op asking why batman wasn't on it.. They all said idk lol

It's strange to see everyone run toward Gotham City first insead of DDD or Goliath, usually Gotham City is a ghost town on Sunday mornings until about noon or so, Did you like Batman?? Which do you prefer normal, or backwards??

In my opinion, Namtab is the worst gimmick Six Flags has pulled yet. They've taken what was already one of the most intense layouts around and upped the intensity by removing your brain's ability to anticipate what is coming, and it can be incredibly disorienting. Even though I've known the layout by heart for decades I found it hard to properly brace myself for the snappy corkscrews, and it was by far my worst experience on a B&M, ever. Forwards BTR clones are one of my favorite rides, backwards and I'll pass. Kindly run the damned things as B&M designed, please, and expend your efforts on maintenance - not this backwards nonsense.

In my opinion, Namtab is the worst gimmick Six Flags has pulled yet. They've taken what was already one of the most intense layouts around and upped the intensity by removing your brain's ability to anticipate what is coming, and it can be incredibly disorienting. Even though I've known the layout by heart for decades I found it hard to properly brace myself for the snappy corkscrews, and it was by far my worst experience on a B&M, ever. Forwards BTR clones are one of my favorite rides, backwards and I'll pass. Kindly run the damned things as B&M designed, please, and expend your efforts on maintenance - not this backwards nonsense.

I hate to say I agree.. I think its a neat idea in theory, and it does look awesome traveling up the lift backwards, but it's to disorienting to really like IMO.. It's another reason I'm afraid to revisit SFSTL or SFOT, because I've not rode Mr.Freeze since they turned it into reverse blast, and I'm afraid it'll drop out of my top 5.

I hate to say I agree.. I think its a neat idea in theory, and it does look awesome traveling up the lift backwards, but it's to disorienting to really like IMO.. It's another reason I'm afraid to revisit SFSTL or SFOT, because I've not rode Mr.Freeze since they turned it into reverse blast, and I'm afraid it'll drop out of my top 5.

Mr. Freeze is even more incredible backwards.

It's strange to see everyone run toward Gotham City first insead of DDD or Goliath, usually Gotham City is a ghost town on Sunday mornings until about noon or so, Did you like Batman?? Which do you prefer normal, or backwards??

I loved it backwards but was a little letdown by it.. Basically it just made me dizzy lol and after it I canceled my Mind Bender on the flash pass and headed to some easy and relaxing rides like monster mansion haha.. Overall I greatly enjoyed it BUT wouldn't wait in line for it because I was expecting it to be much more intense..

But yeah it works wonders for six flags.. The GP love it because like you said, people FLOCKED to that area of the park. It might be a gimmick but it works GREAT!

I loved it backwards but was a little letdown by it.. Basically it just made me dizzy lol and after it I canceled my Mind Bender on the flash pass and headed to some easy and relaxing rides like monster mansion haha.. Overall I greatly enjoyed it BUT wouldn't wait in line for it because I was expecting it to be much more intense..

But yeah it works wonders for six flags.. The GP love it because like you said, people FLOCKED to that area of the park. It might be a gimmick but it works GREAT!

Lucky! I canceled Goliath and headed to Monster Mansion only to find it was closed lol, I needed something nice and relaxing, so I ended up sitting on a bench for 20 mins while my head got itself back together.. The person I was in line with reserved Superman on their flash pass after Batman, I can only imangine what a pretzel loop would do to a person that just got off of Batman backwards.

Lucky! I canceled Goliath and headed to Monster Mansion only to find it was closed lol, I needed something nice and relaxing, so I ended up sitting on a bench for 20 mins while my head got itself back together.. The person I was in line with reserved Superman on their flash pass after Batman, I can only imangine what a pretzel loop would do to a person that just got off of Batman backwards.

HAHA yeah I agree.. I ride lots of coasters but I just couldn't handle one right after backwards batman.. Monster Mansion did the trick though.. I scheduled Monster Mansion right after I canceled Mind Bender BUT THEN i remembered you saying it was down last week BUT still listed on the pass.. I was glad it was open..

Surprisingly Ninja was also listed as open half the day Saturday.. They finally marked it closed around 3.. No trains anywhere on site of the NInja though so it hadn't been opened.

HAHA yeah I agree.. I ride lots of coasters but I just couldn't handle one right after backwards batman.. Monster Mansion did the trick though.. I scheduled Monster Mansion right after I canceled Mind Bender BUT THEN i remembered you saying it was down last week BUT still listed on the pass.. I was glad it was open..

Surprisingly Ninja was also listed as open half the day Saturday.. They finally marked it closed around 3.. No trains anywhere on site of the NInja though so it hadn't been opened.

If they said Ninja was going to be down for good Id be estastic.. A nice wing rider, or a launced wing rider would be perfect in Ninjas spot, actually a new set of restrooms would be an improvement of Ninja.

Its maintenance shed is underneath the station isn't it? I don't know if it's trains where in there but I believe there is only room for one train under there.. So if that's the case the trains for ninja aren't even on the track

Just curious, anyone know why six flags doesn't try and have their new rides open on opening day? Heck, Dollywood will have a whole coaster built and open by grand opening in March..

Just curious if anyone knows the reasoning (if there is one) why six flags ga waits to have new rides open.. I noticed the same thing when they opened sky screamer

Just curious, anyone know why six flags doesn't try and have their new rides open on opening day? Heck, Dollywood will have a whole coaster built and open by grand opening in March..

Just curious if anyone knows the reasoning (if there is one) why six flags ga waits to have new rides open.. I noticed the same thing when they opened sky screamer

Generally it's a marketing thing. The goal is to open around Memorial Day. So all the people at the park from opening until then see the construction and (hopefully) think "Hey! I wanna come back and ride that when it opens!". Cheap marketing, since it doesn't really cost the park anything. Doesn't mean it works well, but that's the goal. All the Six Flags parks does this.

Easy fix for that is to do what other parks do and put the signs up during the previous year haha.

But yeah I figured it had something to do with that but didn't know if anyone knew any other answers or not..

But I guess it helps ensure two visits the same year for people who travel out early to visit

It is disappointing because operations were honestly pretty good last year. They really had everything together for Fright Fest and Holiday In The Park was pretty good as well. I hope it improves. I expected it to be better than opening day last year since their hiring process seems to have improved but I guess not.

I haven't been to the park since 2011... and now I'm remembering they may have removed a couple flat rides. The Schwarzkopf Enterprise and that indoor scrambler are gone, right? SF Great America being my home park, It's always a good reminder to be grateful for all the classic flat rides we still have. And 2 classic flumes to boot!

I'll be at the event on April 11th (I assume you mean Spring Fling)
Yup, that's the one!

The ERT will be a great time to get night rides on Mind Bender and avoid the usual 1 train operations line.
Big time! Can't wait for that! I'm not sure if I've gotten night rights on MB since the 90s! Woohoo!