TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Georgia (SFOG) Discussion Thread

Heres a picture of it Renderings

Since there are two bowl slides in that rendering, I'm assuming that those to the left are family slides.

Or it is just concept art with no association with the final product whatsoever.

Anyhow I love water parks and this is awesome news. Now I have another park to follow construction of this winter.

I wonder if there are any future plans to build a separate parking lot near the water park where the existing employee lot/bone yard is?

Also, I wish one water park would build a full sized "amusement park" style water ride in the water park that you can ride in bathing suits. How awesome would a full sized river rapids ride or log flume or super splash be in a bathing suit while your in the water park? Not to mention that those rides are capacity monsters, someone just do it already!

^Yeah, but they are teh only ones (in America as far as I know) that have ever attempted it. Just seems like such a natural fit.

Now that Giraffica is in Splashin Safari, aren't you allowed to wear swim suits?

Back on topic, this will be great for the park. I don't see any issues with having two water parks in a metro area. I've always been a bit puzzled by the slides back in that corner of the park anyways.

It's not so much that people are referring to the two water parks in the area, the more the merrier I'd say, but it's that they're both operated by the same company, If I the consumer were to buy a combo pass, I intend to visit both SFoG and WW. With the addition of Hurricane Harbor, why should I even consider the option of a pass to both parks when I can just visit SFoG/HH for the price of a regular season pass.

I personally live between the two parks, but why should I now make the drive to White Water when I can just exclude that cost from a regular season pass. Nothing there convinces me to spend more money.

If these wer operated by two separate companies then the two could seriously compete with each other, drawing the same waterpark-seeking crowd to whichever was the better park. Why would SFoG now compete with themselves?

It's not so much that people are referring to the two water parks in the area, the more the merrier I'd say, but it's that they're both operated by the same company, If I the consumer were to buy a combo pass, I intend to visit both SFoG and WW. With the addition of Hurricane Harbor, why should I even consider the option of a pass to both parks when I can just visit SFoG/HH for the price of a regular season pass.

I personally live between the two parks, but why should I now make the drive to White Water when I can just exclude that cost from a regular season pass. Nothing there convinces me to spend more money.

If these wer operated by two separate companies then the two could seriously compete with each other, drawing the same waterpark-seeking crowd to whichever was the better park. Why would SFoG now compete with themselves?

My guess, now that Six Flags has played this Hurricane Harbor card, is that they plan to now rid themselves of White Water in Marietta, especially since this is going to be a multi-year growth project. If that news weren't 8-12 months out from now I'd be surprised. There's really no sense in them having two parks under the same banner unless they were planning to go maniacal and buy all the water parks. There's a little something for everyone now with Lake Lanier for the extreme north metro, Stone Mountain out east, Cobb County with the two water parks now, and even down south with Clayton International Park and the little water attractions they have there.

They should have removed Ninja, pissed and shitted on it's grave, and then built an awesome RMC woodie (complete with batshit insane inversions and ). Also, as someone who has been on Mind Bender MANY times, it has an MCBR as much as it has a 3rd inversion (which is to say, not at all)

My reasoning:

I'm not really afraid about the future of both water parks since they both are really catered to different people. White Water: People of Atlanta; Hurricane Harbor: Travelers from outside of Atlanta. Really, I don't see White Water going anywhere soon.

I don't quite understand why people think a huge Metropolitan area like Atlanta can't support two water parks.

I have no doubt Atlanta can support two water parks, but I don't understand how Six Flags benefits from owning two water parks less than half an hour away from each other. (And yes, I realize traffic may extend that travel time at certain points of the day, but the two parks are still extremely close to one another.)

Unless Six Flags differentiates the parks in some way (e.g. White Water becomes the cheaper, more neighborhood-y water park option whereas Hurricane Harbor is marketed as the more expensive, state of the art water park), it seems to me that they will start competing with one another. In marketing Hurricane Harbor, Six Flags runs the serious risk of drawing guests away from White Water. And if someone has an example to the contrary, please share it, but I've never seen cannibalization work out in favor for the company in question.

Wouldn't it be more efficient for Six Flags to consolidate their water park operations and send everyone to the new Hurricane Harbor (sort of like what we're seeing in the airline industry where airlines are reducing route overlap and hubs to maximize remaining occupancy)? It doesn't seem like that much of a marketing stretch to convince people to drive another 25 minutes down the road (and that extra time will be less for those living closer to SFoG).

In short, unless White Water was filled to capacity every day, I see little reason to add another water park a short trip away unless that new water park will provide a marketably different experience of some sort.

I think six flags will close white water. It just doesn't make sense to have two waterparks that close to each other. Also is there any word about wheather or not this new waterpark will be included with park admission?

I think six flags will close white water. It just doesn't make sense to have two waterparks that close to each other. Also is there any word about wheather or not this new waterpark will be included with park admission?

It is included with admission.

...Also, as someone who has been on Mind Bender MANY times, it has an MCBR as much as it has a 3rd inversion (which is to say, not at all)

THIS.

I've been wondering as long as Mindbender has been open where that third loop is hidden. Ridden it hundreds of times and I still haven't found it.

If it's a coaster, it better have a MCBR and be longer than 3500 ft. The park needs some capacity

DDD has a MCBR but it still has kind of low capacity. It would be nice if they would unload the car that's in the station behind the car being loaded simultaneously; that would greatly imncrease capacity.

I am from Knoxville so I am far from Atlanta but this announcement really excites me! So far I have been to six flags more than Dollywood this year so an in park water park will be great and makes me look forward to coming next year. I have been to six flags 20 or 30 times, and WW only once. This announcement is great for people like me. I always stay in one of the hotels right beside six flags so that I can avoid traffic so this water park announcement will only extend my stays in atlanta

Instead of one night now (My normal unless frightfest or something is going on) I will probably stay two nights. This way I can fit in both the park and water park.

Maybe that is what six flags is going for. I know the original idea for six flags was to be a "local park" geared for locals, located right in your city. I am sure this water park will bring more outside guest and will cause them to stay longer.

WW is just a major pain for a lot of us out of towners to get to with all that traffic

I think six flags will close white water. It just doesn't make sense to have two waterparks that close to each other.

*Faceplam

No, no no. Read the thread. A metro area that large can easily sustain two waterparks. It is not out of the question though that Six Flags sells off the White Water property.

Six Flags White Water is not outright owned by Six Flags corporate, it is owned by the same limted partnership group that owns Six Flags Over Georgia. So SF corporate cannot just decide to close White Water unless that is what the limited partership group wants to do.

I am just going to repost this here for some of our members that keep saying that Six Flags will close White Water.

Whats up with people wanting a coaster with a "MCBR"? Is it something im missing here? Do they now insinuate a coaster of quality? I think SFoG has a good coaster line up. If i were a local I would be screaming "more flat rides" before screaming for a "MCBR" coaster...

Whats up with people wanting a coaster with a "MCBR"? Is it something im missing here? Do they now insinuate a coaster of quality? I think SFoG has a good coaster line up. If i were a local I would be screaming "more flat rides" before screaming for a "MCBR" coaster...

Quality is a matter of opinion. I do think that some are of the opinion, present company included, that SFoG is missing a coaster of length. I'm a coaster lover but not nearly the junkie that some on this board are; I can't rattle off the length in feet of all my favorite coasters but in comparison to the coasters out of town that I enjoy riding it seems that the coasters at SFoG are much shorter than others locally that get more pub and press. Is this a case of perceived grass being greener? Perhaps...I'll admit that.

Multi-year multi-phase means no coasters until the harbor is finished.

No, it doesn't mean that at all!

What is happening to this thread!?!? All of these SFOG fanboys are getting worse than the SFMM and CP ones!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by SharkTums