TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Georgia (SFOG) Discussion Thread

Im pretty excited about this coaster even if the new trains are supposedly rough as hell. SFOG is one of my favorite Six Flags parks and this gives me a good excuse to go back! Hoping to make a trip in early spring sometime.

I'm thinking (hoping?) the new trains will, at worst, just make the ride seem a bit jerky, since there is no harness to bash your head and neck into, without causing discomfort as the trains on Huracan did.

In an attempt to rectify my mistake somewhat, I figured out the reason why it's safe is because the lap bars are over-head as opposed to U- or T-bars.

What is an over-head lap bar?

^Just throwing it out there, but animations are not always accurate when the actual ride is built.

Just throwing it out there, I have a gut feeling that Brad is right

hey aj just saying a half year of mechanical engineering doesn't make you an engineer... yet

I was merely referring to the stereotype that Engineers are wicked smart but have no common sense. I fit that stereotype, and I have for most of my life. Don't judge me!

What is an over-head lap bar?

A traditional lap restraint (U-bar or T-bar) is anchored at the level of the riders' feet, and moves up and away from the rider when unlocked.

An "over-head" lap restraint is anchored where a shoulder harness normally would be anchored. Bars that come down from the anchor secure the rider in laterally, and the lap restraint is attached to the bars. When the restraint is unlocked, it moves up vertically, but it stays relatively in the same space horizontally. This design allows the trains to safely navigate inversions because A) the riders are secured laterally and B) if the restraint comes a bit loose the riders are still somewhat secured at the lap.

For example, blue fire Megacoaster at Europa Park -

Restraints Unlocked

Restraints Locked

They're essentially shoulder harnesses without the shoulders.

DISCLAIMER: I am not an expert! Don't think I am one, I am only comparing the placement of where the restraint anchors!

For some reason I figured this would already be vertical. SFoG opens in March...I expected them to be much further along than this. Hopefully it will be running for my yearly "Godless Heathen Easter Tour" at SFoG.

d.

For some reason I figured this would already be vertical. SFoG opens in March...I expected them to be much further along than this. Hopefully it will be running for my yearly "Godless Heathen Easter Tour" at SFoG.

d.

Eurofighters tend to go up quite quickly. The standard models can be physically assembled in about a week, and I remember SAW went up really fast too! It's strange because like you said you'd expect steel to be going in!

Dave

I haven't had the chance to ride one of these Eurofighters yet, but they look like really solid rides! Hopefully they start popping up at even more US parks in the near future. As for SFOG, that place is rapidly rising on my list of parks I'd love to visit someday!

It'll be cool to see progress of Dare Devil Dive once it goes vertical.

Six Flags Over Geargia is a dump after that flood. Almost every coaster there shows signs of rust and twisted metal. Their coasters are rotting away.

Huh? SFoG is one of the prettiest Six Flags Parks and in my opinion it is a great park. Perfect? No way, but a nice park overall with some awesome rides.

David

^ I definitely want to hit this park...the TR's I have seen make it look like one of the prettier SF parks in the chain and the Eurofighter sounds great. It would be cool to meet up for your "Godless Heathen Easter Tour" even if the new coaster isn't open...sounds like a great time!

From what I've heard about Goliath, that's worth a trip in itself.

I was thinking what about Ninja, but then again, I'm not going to say it..

I've been here once (even though I live in norway) and I really loved this park, on eof the few I've been to in the states. The variety of the coasters and rides made this park really worth a trip up from Orlando. I won't say that Goliath was the best ride, it was good, but I really loved Superman and Mindbender. I so want to go back!!!

If it's anywhere near as good as Nitro I'll love it. I'll have to include SFOG in one of my yearly trips.

From start to finish, I think Goliath is better. I actually find Nitro to be a bit boring in spots, so maybe that's not saying much for Goliath.

With that said, I still had Goliath #15 and Nitro #20 in my steel coaster ballot last year.

^ I definitely want to hit this park...the TR's I have seen make it look like one of the prettier SF parks in the chain and the Eurofighter sounds great. It would be cool to meet up for your "Godless Heathen Easter Tour" even if the new coaster isn't open...sounds like a great time!

YOU SHOULD TOTALLY COME!!

Goliath is awesome, but for me: MINDBENDER is where it's at. Classic custom Schwartzkopf, built down the side of a steep hill, waterfalls, tunnel, loops, crazy fake loop inverted helix thingy, airtime on a steelie looper, cool acid-green color scheme...mmmmm. Easter can't get here soon enough.

^^ Hmmm...I am going to have to see what we have going on for Easter weekend now!

I have been intrigued with Mindbender ever since I rode Olympia Looping at Oktoberfest two years ago. I am kinda split on Schwarzkopf coasters (probably get killed for this), because I wasn't all that impressed with Scorpion, Revolution (would love to have experienced lap bars) and Sooperdooperlooper, but loved OL and the Shuttle Loops.

Please note those are the only one's I have ridden though! I'd really love to ride Mindbender at WEM, Shockwave and Whizzer someday.