TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Georgia (SFOG) Discussion Thread

First it has to stop raining, which it has not. Rain is forcasted through the weekend, unfortunately.

I'm sure they'll recover, but I'm not sure about recovering by this weekend, or even next weekend, but who knows. Imagine all the mud and funk on everything, ruined merchandise, food...the mechanics of the rides that are low to the ground, etc.

First it has to stop raining, which it has not. Rain is forcasted through the weekend, unfortunately.

I'm sure they'll recover, but I'm not sure about recovering by this weekend, or even next weekend, but who knows. Imagine all the mud and funk on everything, ruined merchandise, food...the mechanics of the rides that are low to the ground, etc.

SFOG is in pretty good shape. All the real mechanics are higher ground level. This happens all the time to them and most of the park is higher elevation. I would be very surprised if minus some paint touch up's maybe lumber replacement they will have any ride issues at all.

It always did amaze me how GASM always makes it out with no harm. You would think erosion issues, footer issues, etc but she always ends up fine

*ParkTrips

Any word on when they expect the river to crest?

sixflagsatlantis.jpg.4eea527965e595abb605dc302a0f47fe.jpg

Worse case scenario =)

*But hopefully with much better bathing suits...

What river? Atlanta i think is the largest city in the US that doesn't have a river running through it. And that's probably contributing to the flooding. There's not a means for the water to recede quickly enough.

Not sure if anyone remembers, but Georgia officials were trying to re-draw the state line between Tennessee and Georgia to include the TN River so that Atlanta would have a water supply to call their own...due to the extreme drought brought on by several years of very little rainfall.

Chattahoochee runs SW from north of Atlanta to west of Atlanta and on down, but i'm sure some of this floodwater is feeding into it somewhere along the way. I really hope they get the park open for the weekend, but I don't know that I would take a bet on it. That's three full days away and the water is still in the park. If they do that's quite an accomplishment, i think.

Completely off topic, but how this place ever failed is still beyond me.

Thanks for posting that blast from the past!

I know Went every couple of weekends from opening until I moved right before Andrew hit. Search on face book for "Remembering Six Flags Atlantis" and you will find hundreds of pictures, etc. Even some first years and when they also had the rides. sigh.

Back on topic. Stupid water

I think it's very unrealistic for them to believe they can open this weekend.

if the water recedes today, I'd bet they will open. This has happened with several tropical storms in the past and they always reopen pretty quickly. Problem is that the water was still rising as of last night...

Agreed...but the forecast calls for rain through Sunday. I don't see how they're going to get all that water out while it's still coming down. Hopefully they will. But the satellite images don't look good.

We actually have a little bit of sunshine here in northeast Alabama. I wore my sunglasses at lunch for the first time in what feels like forever!

Glad SFoG has means to deal with wierdness like this, however, things look pretty bad...like SFNO bad. The damage report, etc will be interesting to see. More importantly, my heart goes out to those who passed away from the floods. Will keep good thoughts for the weather letting up and things returning to normal.

^&^^ I agree, this is pretty serious. I realize they've delt with floods in the past, but I don't think they've had anything of this magnitude. I don't recall in my lifetime hearing about 20" of rainfall in Atlanta.

SFNO had flooding and huge amounts of wind damage, so I don't think its that bad at SFOG, but its so hard to tell.

The sun is out here too in Knoxville. I just went outside b/c I haven't seen the sun in over a week...my eyes had a hard time adjusting to bright light. I feel like an indoor kitty.

This happens twice a year? Are you joking? I've never heard of this happening and my jaw is still on the floor. I mean, there is a good 30 feet of water by mindbenders 2nd loop. Unbeilevable. When I went to the park in late July it never crossed my mind why the coasters were off the ground and why there weren't many flat rides at the low sections of the park. Wilde is probably completely underwater.

Hmm, from the videos posted it seems the higher points of the Cotton area is dry, very moist, but at least not flooded. Which might mean everything from the Southern Star Amp. (<--Granted it's a low point too.) to the Carousal hill is okay. But the area in-between the hill and Monster Mansion maybe flooded to an extent, Splash waterfalls to possibly Wheelie around the back of parking lot to the entrance of the parking lot? I wonder where the flooding actually stops at being that all of Gotham City isn't flooded.

Also I wonder about Goliath's ponds, and isn’t GASM’s train in an area near the lift hill, or are they stationed in the station, neither of which I think is dry right now.

Edit: Well, those pictures answers some questions, the area from the Cotton tunnel down is completely flooded.

This does not happen twice a year, more like twice a century.

The rides I think that would be closed are Scream Machine, Mindbender, Scorcher, Mine Train, and maybe Goliath, (due to those two low parts by the park gate. Thomas Town is now 20,000 leagues under the sea. But the Carousel, Ninja, Superman, Acrophobia and Monster Mansion probably escaped most of the flooding due to their extreme heights.

But the pics from the AJC show the entire parking lot flooded.