TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Georgia (SFOG) Discussion Thread

If I were you, I would prob do the Carowinds/SFOG trip thing. I did it last year, but I also had family to visit, conveniently located half-way between the parks!

They may not be the best parks in the world, but there are a ton of credits, I'd say it would be worth about a 4-day trip. Ride there, Carowinds, SFOG, ride back.

Plus it's a good ride. Lots of country music, firework stores, and kudzu. And crazy southern preachers on the radio on Sunday morning.

wow. Six flags is so lame. I cant believe the canceled on us. But its cool i guess. Tyler and Robbie's house is awesome. Drinking and crap. Robbie just got home with pizza! This is awesome! When is everyone going to go since opening day was canceled?

I can't say I'm surrpised they closed today. At least they didn't decide to open and then close without notice like they did with Family Fall Fun Night at Great Adventure and are giving notice they are closed for tomorrow ahead of time. What happened was the park was open 5 - 10 for SP holders only. It had been raining all day and people called the park and we were told they would be open from the scheduled 5 - 10. Even at 6:00 someone called and said the park would be open until 10. They closed at 7:30 with the announcement made at 6:30. People who got to the park at 6:45 or and later were turned away from entering the lot after being told the park would be open.

It was still the best trip of the season for me, since there was literally no one at the park (supposedly 400 people total) and I got more rides in those 2 1/2 hours than most people would at a full day in the park, those who drove an hour or more only to be turned away if they got there too late were not happy.

I'm not saying the park was wrong to close early, just the way it was handled.

• 2 months later...

Some photos of the open attraction! Looks very well done, and I think it's fantastic that Six Flags updated a classic ride without using Scooby or any other cartoon character! The park had a nice event for the ride's opening too... I'm really liking this new era of Six Flags!

MonsterMansion6.jpg.35b8bd841bdbf871b88eab2e096535a7.jpg

Gotta love the catchy merch. location!

MonsterMansion1.jpg.9310153db6de67e017a26cff146bfc1f.jpg

Poster for the attraction at the park... very Disney-ish!

MonsterMansion2.jpg.7f46e55a50c5783e57d712d33e602713.jpg

This monster is on the ride's entrance sign... must be important.

MonsterMansion3.jpg.5ba44b29649d97a1da12b629e29285fc.jpg

They're all having a good time it appears!

MonsterMansion4.jpg.e379efe698c0fa2db73ef7b7a4ec51e0.jpg

Part of the scary... part.

MonsterMansion5.jpg.be1432d71008214ea2a15d4d6bcc1fc7.jpg

A baby monster.

looks like a lot of what they did was redress a lot of the monsters

is the huge dude that points and goes "HUMANS!..... HUMANS!" still there along with the big dragon that appears on ur right as you go around a turn?

I'm really impressed with what the park has done with this attractions, it's one of my all-time favorite dark rides.

It's been a long time since I've been on it - does the ride have a small drop? I can't remember.

when you went in to the haunted marsh, you went up a small belt lift and into a slight, smooth drop

I'm really excited about this ride getting refurbished and everything. It was always one of my favorites, and I'm sad I didn't ride it the last time I went before the change happened.

For those who were wondering why it got changed from "Monster Plantation" to "Monster Mansion", I think it had something to do with SFOG's attempt to become more "politically correct". They changed the section of the park that used to be the "Confederate States" to "Peachtree Square", and since in the old south Plantations have the bad rap of being remembered as places where slaves worked in the 1800's, they wanted to get rid of that vibe and basically remove any potential bad feelings or anything of the like that could come with the word Plantation.

Now, I may be totally off base with that statement or assessment, but it would make sense, especially with the name change of the Confederate section to "Peachtree Square". I believe I saw someone reasoning this on a SFOG fan site. And if I'm totally off base, then I will gladly take up residence in the "Stupid things the GP say" thread.

^ I'm not sure it's "politically correct" oversensitivity. After all, antebellum Southern plantations were built by slave labor, and if I imagine an African American stumbling on the Monster Plantation might feel as queasy as I would if I went to a German park and discovered a mine train called "The Auschwitz Express."

Seeing SFoG do this makes me want to go back to my old school home park. The Monster Plantation was a lot of fun as a kid. I remember riding it back when it first opened and even though I knew the monsters "in the marsh" wouldn't get me, I always became a bit frightened a bit when we went over the small hill.

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone been to SFOG lately? How was the park staff?

The "I wish I was somewhere else...I'm bored to death...I could care less" attitude of the park employees has made me reluctant to return.

This park has such potential...if they would just sweat the details...and if the young employees would just give a darn.

We considered visiting this summer, but decided we'd go back to Holiday World instead...for the reasons mentioned above.

It has not gotten better. I was there just last Friday, my first visit since 1997 and the employees are the worst I have ever seen. True the park does have potential but it will never be reached with losers like them running the park. I will say they were not all bad by the way just every single crew running every ride except Monster Mansion. I mean just terrible people, I just cant even explain how bad it was. I now remember why I have not been there since 1997, and its fine with me if I don't go back for another decade.

I'm not even sure why the staff should be a deciding factor if you should or should not go to a park.

I don't go to the park to hang out and talk to the employees, I go to the park to ride the coasters.

While yes, a park with a good staff that seems to care and offer good customer service DOES make a park better, I've never let the staff of a park decide the fate of my visit.

--Robb

^Yes the slow dispatch times are a major problem, for instance the Georgia Cyclone, three girls were working the coaster. They spent more time checking their hair and nails rather than checking restraints. Almost every coaster superman, goliath, batman, Georgia cyclone, mine train, and the georgia scorcher would have a train dispatch with a train already waiting to come in. These coasters would dispatch, climb the lift, go through the circuit, come to the brakes and sit there for 2-3 minutes. Its understandable to have it happen a few times but every single train. Goliath for example, the attendants would load the train check the restraints at a snails pace then go to their positions and then a ride op would call out check 8-3. They would check it then walk back to their positions and then over the loudspeaker check 8-2. I was losing my mind.

I live just outside Orlando so I am spoiled with the great operations we have down here. These parks have the formula figured out, great customer service and people will return. SFOG hasn't figured this formula out and yes I will not return for a while because when I pay my money I expect to have fun which I did but with customer service to match. I dont want to go some where, where I am not feeling welcome.

-We encountered an employee working at games who asked us to give ourselves change because she "isn't very good at math". Yes, she really said that!

-Very slow operations EVERYWHERE but Goliath

-Very fast operations on every ride but Superman. I was impressed. It was spring break, and lines were moving incredibly fast, with most under an hour, but Superman was a 3 hour wait with the line at the 1 hour sign and only 2/3 trains running. Didn't they pay for the other station and 3rd train to prevent 3 hour lines? It was all because of 10 minute dispatches and Flash Passes being timed for 3 minute dispatches.

-We were at the park the next day, and we were on the next train for Goliath with a 1 train wait total (it was bad weather) when they had to close the ride because of lightning. The employees gave out water from their water container and engaged in conversation with us and others waiting in line. I couldn't believe this was the same park I was at a year ago.

I live just outside Orlando so I am spoiled with the great operations we have down here.

Really? Last time we were at Islands of Adventure operations were terrible. Hulk and Dragons were just abysmal.

But that doesn't stop me from going back...

--Robb

It falls back on management to correct these problems.

SFOG is such a pretty park...but it could be SO much better is they would go the extra mile and take care of the details.

Management sets the tone for what's expected of employees...you CAN get high school kids who give a darn...ever been in a Chick-fil-a? They one closest to our house has better service than many nice restaurants.