TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Georgia (SFOG) Discussion Thread

Why aren't we getting a new coaster or flat ride for 2009 or even 2010???

As much as I'd like to see a new coaster everywhere and every year, it's just not financially doable. SFoG put in Golliath several years ago, it's going to be a few more until they build a multi million coaster.

The Monster Plantation/Mansion is fun, it's old school, and with Six Flags trying to market to families right now, this is an easy fix for them.

As much as I'd like to see a new coaster everywhere and every year, it's just not financially doable. SFoG put in Golliath several years ago, it's going to be a few more until they build a multi million coaster.

Several? Try two years ago... jesus.

Several? Try two years ago... jesus.

Calm down... so I didn't add correctly... Gees!

Years ago, there was some talk about tearing out the inside of Monster Plantation and turning it into another Scooby Doo laser shoot attraction. Whew!!! I'm glad that didn't happened

But if such a thing ever did happen, at least I had an idea on how to salvage the parts of Monster Plantation to be used in another park - as a special indoor log flume ride.

But such an idea will never come true because Six Flags of Georgia decided to renovate this one-of-a-kind attraction. Maybe another park might do their own version of Monster Plantation using log flumes instead of the normal boats.

I've been going to SFoG since the 70's, and that is where my first job was. I remember them having alot of Flat Rides and slowly removing them. That has always confused me, but I'm a banker - not a park operator.

I remember when the Monster Plantation was new and it was AMAZING. We still ride it every year when we visit at Easter and I'm stoked that it is getting some attention. I really wasn't expecting a coaster for a bit, and I'm glad that an attraction that I like and will ride (no kids = no Thomas Town for me) is getting a re-do. Good for Six Flags.

By the way - anyone out there remember when the Monster Plantation was the Okefanokee Swamp ride??

David

^ a tiny bit off-topic, but did you ever go to The Land of Sid and Marty Croft at the top of the Omni in Atlanta?

To swing back on topic, why do I seem to recall Jim Henson being involved in the creation of some of the characters in Monster Plantation? Was I just smoking my lunch, or does this ring a bell for anyone else?

David

No, sadly the world of Sid and Marty Krofft closed before I got to see it......I don't remember Jim Henson being involved but seems like I remember some Hanna-Barbera artists being involved in the design.......By the way the Krofft brothers redesigned the okeefenokee ride a year after it opened

• 2 months later...

Here is a news item from the Atlanta Journal Constitution which says that one of the original monsters from the Monster plantation ride is up for auction on ebay this thursday. Anybody with a lot of dough lying around??

Six Flags Over Georgia fans, listen up.

Monster Plantation, a regular and unique fixture at Six Flags Over Georgia since 1981, is closing down for renovations.

The Cobb County amusement park is redesigning Monster Plantation, one of the park’s oldest attractions, and will be auctioning off one of the ride’s original monsters.

Proceeds from the eBay auction, which begins at 9 a.m. Thursday, will be donated to Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta.

The monster being sold is named “Scout” and is one of the Boy Scouts in the ride’s “Little Monster Club.”

For the past 27 years, Monster Plantation has been located in the 25,000-square-foot building that originally housed the park’s Tales of the Okefenokee ride. It will reopen next May as Monster Mansion.

To bid on Scout, go to www.ebay.com and search for item number 180311122962. Bidding starts at $100.

• 3 weeks later...

everytime I visited SFOG, I always made The Plantation a MUST visit. I love that ride. it's very good for taking a break and cooling off in the hot GA sun. and like other people said, they should keep "Plantation" instead of changing it to Mansion. it fit's better with the GA history

Even though the Monster Mansion isn't the best marketing attraction, its a great new "addition" for the park. Most, if not all, other Six Flags parks don't have something like Monster Plantation/Mansion. I think it's great. Every time I visit SFoG, I go on this ride. No its not the best ride, but its a great way to break up your day. I'm looking forward to riding this dark ride next year.

On the other hand, I miss Deja Vu and wish it came back or gets sold to Carowinds.

• 2 months later...

I have always wanted to go to SFOG & might finally have the chance! My grandfather might be driving to Florida this weekend & might be able to drop me off at SFOG where I'll spend all day at the park for opening day & then I'll fly back to Philly Sunday. I was just wondering if it was worth it to go to the park so early in the season. Are all of the coasters going to be open? What are the lines like opening weekend or early in the season? Is there a hotel within walking distance to the park? There is a very small chance that this can happen but I'm hoping for the best. If my grandfather can't go to Florida this weekend then it will hopefully be next weekend. I would just like to no if it is a good idea to go early since GADV is my home park & the crowds are soft early in the year there so I'm wondering is it the same at SFOG. Thanks for helping me out.

~Matt "Might get to start his 2009 season this weekend " T.

Its going to be busy?:?r

I dunno. I went down there for opening weekend a couple years back and had an absolute blast because there was NO ONE there. Everything except SUF was a walk on. SUF had a 5 minute wait for every row except the front which was an extra 10 or so minutes. Mindbender and Batman were walk ons all day so I just stayed there and got countless rides. Unfortunately Goliath was still under construction and Ninja was being painted, so I still haven't gotten on those.

But, in any case, you should definitely go. In my experience opening weekend there is great, with no crowds.

Don't get a Q-Bot until you know you need it. Normally opening day is in March, and usually the 3rd weekend. And even then it normally isn't very crowded. Plus, right now advertising really hasn't started other than for Season Pass sales.

Usually opening day is like an all-day ERT session. Sometimes the weather cooperates, other times it's been very ugly (rain or cold). But all the time it's a fun day.

Matt, I would put a call into the park just make sure everything is running. I've been to SFOG's opening day a couple of times and can remember instances of some coasters being down.

And from my experiences, yeah, they run most coasters with one train so that line for Mindbender could be brutal, even with a Q-Bot! So I would strongly reccomend getting one if the park looks at all busy.

--Robb