TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Georgia (SFOG) Discussion Thread

• 1 month later...

http://www.sixflags.com/overGeorgia/info/News_MonsterMansionAnnouncement.aspx

A Monster Announcement: Historic Monster Plantation Takes Guests on a Whole New Journey

Six Flags Over Georgia announced today that the historic Monster Plantation adventure will undergo a major renovation to be unveiled as the new Monster Mansion in May 2009.

Since 1981, the Monster Plantation has been a tried and true staple for families visiting Six Flags Over Georgia. The iconic theme music, playful monster animatronics and family-friendly storyline has lured millions of visitors and consistently ranked among the most popular attractions. The new voyage will feature a slate of surprises, including new characters, music, interactive elements and a re-themed storyline. In addition, many of the original monsters will return to the Mansion.

“Monster Plantation has been a guest favorite for almost three decades, and we are thrilled to be able to recreate the experience,” said Melinda Ashcraft, Park President. “There is undoubtedly a lot of nostalgia associated with the ride, and the adults who rode it as children will now get to enjoy special memories with their own kids.”

Gary Goddard, world-renowned design consultant and founder of Gary Goddard Entertainment (GGE), created the original ride and will be responsible for the new production with many of the original designers assigned to the project. Goddard constructed the integral elements of the Georgia Aquarium, including the hub that leads to the aquarium's five exhibits and Deepo's Undersea 3D Wondershow. In 2007, GGE developed the Glow in the Park parade which lights up the night with an amazing display of imagery, music and magical performances at several Six Flags parks.

Six Flags Over Georgia is now selling 2009 season passes for the limited-time only price of $49.99 — the lowest price in four years. Guests who purchase a 2009 season pass will receive unlimited park admission not only in 2009, but also for the remainder of the 2008 season with special front-of-line entrance on Monster Plantation and free admission to see Dr. Fright's Frightorium Haunted House during this year's Fright Fest presented by SNICKERS®. Season pass holders will also be given special exclusive ride times next spring on the all-new Monster Mansion along with the value-packed 2009 coupon book with more than $300 worth of offers including five Bring-A-Friend-Free tickets. The park is currently open weekends and will be open Friday nights and Saturdays and Sundays in October. For more information on Monster Mansion or to purchase a 2009 season pass, please visit www.sixflags.com/overgeorgia.

This honestly says a lot to me about SF's management. It's along the lines of what they are doing to X2 and now SROS. They are showing that they actually care about their current attractions. To me, that's almost as good as putting in a brand new attraction simply because it demonstrates how dedicated the management is to providing a high-quality experience. It's definitely a change of pace from the old management that just plopped rides down in random open spaces.

Edited by Scaparri

I was always worried that this ride would get torn out and get replaced with some crappy Scooby Doo ride, so I think this is an excellent sign from the Six Flags management. It's awesome to see that they are going to commit money to such a unique attraction instead of just letting it go.

This is so cool to see and I am feeling optimistic about the new Six Flags management style. After years of simply adding new thrill rides to bring in the punters it's good to see them taking care of what they already have, especially much-loved rides like Monster Plantation.

Maybe they should add some new dark rides. Everybody loves a dark ride!

I remember going to the media/VIP event for Monster Plantation. I was a young pup back then and thought the monsters would eat my hat that night!

I used to love MP! I haven't been on it in years as I no longer live in Atlanta, but will head up next year to experience the change. I think Six Flags is doing a great thing by redoing this!

My friends and I cannot believe that SFOG is spending so frivolously on these lame "kiddie" rides (Monster Plantation and the new Thomas Town) and not giving us anything exciting like most of the other SF parks.

This park has the most disappointing "collection" (if you want to call it that) of flat rides of any park I have ever visited! Aside from some kiddie rides and a couple water rides, the only thing worth riding is a handful of decent coasters, Acrophobia and perhaps the wheelie.

Why aren't we getting a new coaster or flat ride for 2009 or even 2010???

Perhaps the partnership is working against the park nowadays, whereas it used to work great for the park (Scorcher, Superman, Acro, Deja Vu all within 5yrs)

'cause they could most certainly use a lot of non-coaster attractions, and Thomas Town would be nice for the kids if they actually tried

Yeah, with SFOG being my home park and also being one of the friends coasterfreak80 was talking about our park sucks on flat rides. I heard that they were supposed to be getting rid of Splash Water Falls and rightly so. NO ONE rides it. The line is always so short even in the summer. And whoever said that flat rides don't work or have no appeal has obviously never looked at rides like MaxAir, SkyHawk and any Top Spin. I don't understand why we can't get a cool flat ride if they aren't going to give us another coaster for a while. We used to at least get something new every 2 years and now it seems it is forever between good rides. And no Thomas Town does not count! I would have rather have a semi broken down Deja Vu than damn Thomas Town. Let the little kids go to American Adventures for a kiddie park. Yes, I am a little bitter. LOL