TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Georgia (SFOG) Discussion Thread

I don't understand why so many of you are angry at the media. They're just reporting what they hear. Some reports said he tried to reach up and grab someone's feet. Some said he lost his hat. They're just reporting that. MyFox Atlanta says the police said he may have been trying to get a hat, so it's not the media's fault the cops told them that.

You guys should read The Atlanta Journal-Constitution online. It's a more reliable source than the TV, and it appears to have more information than the TV stations and sites. This article says the father is waiting on the results of the investigation but isn't blaming the park. So that's something.

I don't understand why so many of you are angry at the media. They're just reporting what they hear. Some reports said he tried to reach up and grab someone's feet. Some said he lost his hat. They're just reporting that. MyFox Atlanta says the police said he may have been trying to get a hat, so it's not the media's fault the cops told them that.

You guys should read The Atlanta Journal-Constitution online. It's a more reliable source than the TV, and it appears to have more information than the TV stations and sites. This article says the father is waiting on the results of the investigation but isn't blaming the park. So that's something.

It's good to hear that the family isn't going to sue the park. I just was sick of watching the news that night hearing "a 17 year old kid is killed by a rollercoaster" as a headline, and anyone who didn't listen to the whole story figured that the ride screwed up and killed him.

I don't understand why so many of you are angry at the media.

Because the media jumps the gun and reports the first thing they hear as fact, without investigating it. I'm sure "just a cop" on scene gave bad info, and instead on waiting on a spokesperson for the police to make a statement, they report it "to report the story first" no matter if it's wrong or right. Every city has at least one channel that reports news in this fashion.

Unfortunately, it's the public that created this market of tabloid news reporting.

Well, according to this article, a lawsuit may not come to be:

Jun. 29th, 2008 -- The boy who was killed Saturday at Six Flags Over Georgia was identified as 17-year-old Asia LeeShawn Ferguson.

His parents were informed of the accident as they finished lunch at a picnic area outside the park.

Ferguson's father said his family is waiting on the results of the investigation but that they are "not blaming the park."

An autopsy will be performed Monday.

Police said Ferguson and another teen tried to re-enter the park without going to the entrance. They hopped a fence surrounding the park, then hopped a fence around Batman The Ride.

Ferguson was decapitated by a Batman train.

Six Flags said there are warning signs on the fences.

This was taken from ThrillNetwork.

EDIT- Accidently did not read last page, so didn't know this is old news.

It's good to hear that the family isn't going to sue the park.

Oh, that doesn't mean he WON'T sue the park.

I'm sure a few lawyers will talk to the parents here and they may change their tune in a heartbeat. If the family sued they will more than likely get something substantial from this. I'm not saying that this family will definitely commit to settling this and get money but the odds of them doing so would point more to the side that they will if past lawsuits are any indication.

The thing that sucks about this is that this is a lose-lose situation for the park. There is no way that they could come out looking good in the end of this. This is a huge blow to their already skeptical family park image that they are trying to rebuild. Even if the kid got high on crack in the parking lot and then wnadered back in a complete stuper the headlines will still read "Decapatation on Roller Coaster at Six Flags". Plus there will always be the argument that; the fence was too short, there were no guards everywhere, there was no river with alligators in it around all the unsafe perimiters, etc.

This one act damn near negates what progress they have made or are trying to make. Hell, I already heard from atleast 6 different people today that swore that someone got decapitated ON the rollercoaster. It wasn't till I checked here that I found out that it was a patron going where he shouldn't have. Huge, huge, HUGE public relations blow for Six Flags. And it's not even a event that is slightly their fault.

Ugh, imagine how much the park will crack down about bringing anything on the ride with you other than your clothes if this kid was trying to get his hat that flew off during the ride. People thought it was strict now.

I say this is a very unfortunate event, but could have been avoided if the kid thought for more than a second about why they put fences around the coaster instead of acting on boyish tendencies. Dad says he lifts weights? He must've felt a need to prove his macho to his chums.

If the family sues, then I will have lost all respect for them, and hope Six Flags wins it.

So on CNN.com it now says it was a GROUP of teens that crossed the fence. No one on the ride was hurt, thankfully.

I'm not sure he was decapitated, as the news media uses that word loosely in a lot of cases, but I guess it could be.

I feel sorry for those that saw the incident, the family of the teen, his friends, and yes, even a little bit for the teen, even if he did do something idiotic. Remember that video of the teen going after his hat in the Jurassic Park ride?

I've never seen this video... Anyone have a link?

I have a feeling that Six Flags will have to put up barb wired chain link fences around every ride once this is over.

Its state law that says how high the fences need to be, and it varies from one state to another. For example, in MD, state law requires chain link fencing 6 feet high that is not wide enough for a ball of a certain diameter to pass through (I can't recall the exact measurement, I went through my rides training at SFA a couple years ago and have forgotten). So its not even the park's choice as to what type the fences are or their dimensions, its a matter of what the state government the park resides considers safe.

I have a feeling that Six Flags will have to put up barb wired chain link fences around every ride once this is over.

Its state law that says how high the fences need to be, and it varies from one state to another. For example, in MD, state law requires chain link fencing 6 feet high that is not wide enough for a ball of a certain diameter to pass through (I can't recall the exact measurement, I went through my rides training at SFA a couple years ago and have forgotten). So its not even the park's choice as to what type the fences are or their dimensions, its a matter of what the state government the park resides considers safe.

Didn't realize that, which again raises the possibility of the family suing the state. Again all speculation, but with the stuff i've seen today I would not be surprised

Didn't realize that, which again raises the possibility of the family suing the state. Again all speculation, but with the stuff i've seen today I would not be surprised

It would be pretty wild if this incident results in Georgia and other places making the laws more strict, more barriers or sign-age or something. Could end up effecting a lot of parks.

To all that are trying to say this is the parents fault or that the parents didn't raise the kid right, SHAME ON YOU! As a 16 year old I can tell you that no matter how my parents have raised me, I don't tend to make all of my decisions based on their best wishes. Whether it be speeding on the highway when they tell me to drive the speed limit, or something slightly worse, teenagers are going to disobey their parents no matter what. This HORRIBLE accident is the kid's fault and the kid's fault ONLY. Once again, I am SO sorry to the family, friends, and the park for this horrific... accident?

To all that are trying to say this is the parents fault or that the parents didn't raise the kid right, SHAME ON YOU! As a 16 year old I can tell you that no matter how my parents have raised me, I don't tend to make all of my decisions based on their best wishes. Whether it be speeding on the highway when they tell me to drive the speed limit, or something slightly worse, teenagers are going to disobey their parents no matter what. This HORRIBLE accident is the kid's fault and the kid's fault ONLY. Once again, I am SO sorry to the family, friends, and the park for this horrific... accident?

Very well said....teenagers all do dumb stuff, just that most don't do anything quite as dumb as this kid. There's no way to determine the parental abilities of his mom and dad from this one foolish, fatal decision...they should be pitied, not blamed

^^ Thank you. That's the exact rational response needed in here. It's this kid's fault (along with whoever else jumped over the fence or encouraged it). It's not the parent's fault.

Honestly, I think some of you guys are getting ahead of yourselves with all the speculation on the kid's motive, if he was on drugs, what the lawsuits will be, etc.

Just let the news come out naturally, and stop trying to be fortune tellers and lawyers.

Exactly! You took the words right out of my mouth. My parents raised me perfectly but I don't allways do what's "best for me."

It's good to hear that the family isn't going to sue the park.

I'm sure a few lawyers will talk to the parents here and they may change their tune in a heartbeat. If the family sued they will more than likely get something substantial from this. I'm not saying that this family will definitely commit to settling this and get money but the odds of them doing so would point more to the side that they will if past lawsuits are any indication.

The thing that sucks about this is that this is a lose-lose situation for the park. There is no way that they could come out looking good in the end of this. This is a huge blow to their already skeptical family park image that they are trying to rebuild. Even if the kid got high on crack in the parking lot and then wnadered back in a complete stuper the headlines will still read "Decapatation on Roller Coaster at Six Flags". Plus there will always be the argument that; the fence was too short, there were no guards everywhere, there was no river with alligators in it around all the unsafe perimiters, etc.

This one act damn near negates what progress they have made or are trying to make. Hell, I already heard from atleast 6 different people today that swore that someone got decapitated ON the rollercoaster. It wasn't till I checked here that I found out that it was a patron going where he shouldn't have. Huge, huge, HUGE public relations blow for Six Flags. And it's not even a event that is slightly their fault.

Ugh, imagine how much the park will crack down about bringing anything on the ride with you other than your clothes if this kid was trying to get his hat that flew off during the ride. People thought it was strict now.

Wouldn't that only bring more bad media?

BREAKING NEWS! A man was killed at Six Flags earlier today when he tried to cross the alligator filled mote around the park, while trying to gain free entrance.

And if the fences are higher, someone will probably break their leg trying to climb them, possibly resulting in more lawsuits. Seriously, this society is so strung up on not admitting they were wrong, there is pretty much NO way to create a fail safe security system. Someone WILL find a way to f#ck themselves up with whatever they are given...Pardon my language.

Wouldn't that only bring more bad media?

BREAKING NEWS! A man was killed at Six Flags earlier today when he tried to cross the alligator filled mote around the park, while trying to gain free entrance.

And if the fences are higher, someone will probably break their leg trying to climb them, possibly resulting in more lawsuits. Seriously, this society is so strung up on not admitting they were wrong, there is pretty much NO way to create a fail safe security system. Someone WILL find a way to f#ck themselves up with whatever they are given...Pardon my language.

I know... my point was that no matter what the park did to prevent this it wouldn't be enough to stop bad press.

This act was stupidity personified. Acts like this are something that a million different precautions couldn't stop.

I agree to an extent, however speeding on the highway (while it could yield the same result) is not comparable to "scaling" two fences, trespassing in a restricted area, and getting that close to a giant mass travelling at 50 mph. It would be like someone jumping two fences to get into a lion exhibit at a zoo. If he had been taught the concept of consequences better, this might not have happened. I'm not saying it would have been a guarantee, but I think it would have helped. I'm also not saying this was all the parent's fault, but I do think they have at least a small part in it. But that's only my opinion.

I agree to an extent, however speeding on the highway (while it could yield the same result) is not comparable to "scaling" two fences, trespassing in a restricted area, and getting that close to a giant mass travelling at 50 mph. It would be like someone jumping two fences to get into a lion exhibit at a zoo. If he had been taught the concept of consequences better, this might not have happened. I'm not saying it would have been a guarantee, but I think it would have helped. I'm also not saying this was all the parent's fault, but I do think they have at least a small part in it. But that's only my opinion.
Then let's compare it to those guys at the San Francisco Zoo. The police say they may have taunted a tiger that escaped and killed someone. That's the same thing.

Whatever the argument is, this kid screwed up, and it cost him his life. The only person to blame is him. As for everything else, this news is barely a day old. Let's wait until at least the investigation details are released before saying a Christian teen who should have known better was on drugs and doing backflips over park fences to grab someone's legs on Batman near the area he lost his hat.

Sure the kid shouldn't have been there, but to say he deserved to die? Come on! Some of the comments on here make me sick. This is a horrible accident and I am quite sure that any lawsuit will be thrown out of court. I know there has been precedent set in cases before this that say the park is not liable at all if safety requirements are met. It is quite possible that a judge will look at this and dismiss it immediately. Lets hope so!

I agree with you!!! Everyone makes mistakes and bad decisions in their life, unfortunately his decision got him killed. But he did not deserve death

If you really think about it, this really wasn't that much more stupid than having pre-marital sex, smoking a joint, or even speeding, for all have their risks that are pretty well known. Teens just want that adrenaline high and will do stupid thing. This was just an unusual (and sad) incident where a teen wanted to make himself Superman by whatever means possible.

I feel so sorry for the family of this kid. Sure he made an incredibly stupid decision, but, in my mind, no decision deserves death...life is too precious.

In such a sue happy society, I wouldn't be shocked to see someone find someway to sue SF. But I'm just going to sit back and let everything develop and then make my final decision on the matter.

If you really think about it, this really wasn't that much more stupid than having pre-marital sex, smoking a joint, or even speeding, for all have their risks that are pretty well known.

You can't be serious?

How can you compare things that have mostly minor, long term consequences to something which has an almost certain violent death consequence?

There's no comparison between what you listed and jumping two fences to run underneath a moving roller coaster.

You can't be serious?

How can you compare things that have mostly minor, long term consequences to something which has an almost certain violent death consequence?

There's no comparison between what you listed and jumping two fences to run underneath a moving roller coaster.

I'm actually very serious.

It's more the risk and unknown factor. Maybe the consequences are different, but they all were dealing with the same thing, a teen trying to be God (wow, kinda sad if he was a Christian ). He could have easily have missed that train or have been successful in touching somebody's foot and only maybe breaking an arm.

I see also where you are coming from, and you are right that, for the most part, there is no comparison though.

f you really think about it, this really wasn't that much more stupid than having pre-marital sex

hahahahahaha

Jumping over two fences, walking under an operating coaster, and getting your head smacked off by a roller coaster train is A LITTLE more stupid than sleeping with someone you aren't married to?

Really?