TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Georgia (SFOG) Discussion Thread

Any thoughts on what the crowds will be like on Friday, May 27th?  I am thinking about going and am hoping it will be lighter due to it being a weekday, but it is a holiday weekend.

I don’t want to bother if I have to wait in line longer than 15 minutes for Goliath.

^ PACKED   (schools are mostly out, or getting out early on that last day). . and it's the start of a 4 day weekend.

the likeliest LIGHTEST day this Memorial Day holiday is gonna be Monday. . .tho Sunday shouldn't be too terrible (as it gets later, folks will leave because get togethers are planned for the next day).

I say this because I always go to SFOG on Labor Day and it's always pretty dead on the actual holiday.

• Like 1

I was able to make it out on Friday and the crowds were very light. I was there for less than 3 hours and I didn't wait more than 1 train for any ride.

The re-track of GASM exceeded my expectations. It's not perfectly smooth but it's actually fun to ride again.

I would recommend the second to last car. I also rode in the front but I think the back is still the better place to be.

I don't know how long it's going to stay in this condition. I would get out there and take advantage while you can.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

First time at the park this year.  I was worried the improvements that had been touted would be all talk, but I was blown away by the improved operations. Operators consistently rolling trains and counting down to encourage people to get seated is a major improvement. Park seemed alot cleaner too, and while we didn't order food, the lines didn't seem to be very long. Almost everything was open, minus DDD & Sky Screamer and some others. Crowds were about medium and we probably waited about 40 mins tops for any ride. I can firmly say that Mind Bender is back in business, the trims barley grabbed us before the last loop and I didn't feel any hang time. In about 5 hours our group of 4 has ridden pretty much everything.  Great day overall.

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

Was at the park Saturday. Crowds weren't bad when we arrived, but the queue building at TC was pretty full and only running one train so we headed over to Goliath, which had no line. The ride ops were the worst I've seen in my four visits to this park. I mean absolutely atrocious. The heat was brutal.

After Goliath we got Superman, GASM, and Blue Hawk. Superman ops were incredibly slow. There were flash pass customers that got to GASM before we did and they were still waiting when we pulled out of the station. I haven't ridden it since 2017. Not sure if it was any smoother now, but certainly not the roughest woodie out there.

The line at Mindbender was past the 60 minute point, so we bailed and rode BTR (20 minutes). When we came out from Batman, Mindbender was cycling an empty train. We saw Goliath do this a few times as well. We couldn't get my daughter's one ride Flash Pass to work from her phone so we waited in line at the FP office. The longest line we would wait in all day, but at least there was AC. There seemed to be a lot of explaining to people how each pass tier worked. Platinum was $160. Since this is a park we can get to pretty easily, we didn't even think about spending that kind of money. We used our one-time passes on TC. Couldn't leave SFOG without a ride on that wonderful RMC. They had added another train but each train had a row out of service. Again, ops were very slow.

We were in Atlanta for a show anyway, so we weren't really bothered that much by the amount of rides we got in. At Goliath we stopped briefly to look for our on-ride picture. It was weird to see pictures up when I didn't see a flash on the camera. Someone asked the person behind the desk, "We've been here a while, when will our picture show up?" The reply: "The camera's not working."  So, the person working the photo desk for a camera that wasn't working was just going to let people stand there and stare at the screen. We had a Six Flags day!

We stopped for a late lunch at Grand Champion BBQ about 10 minutes from SFOG. The brisket was pretty good. Local brewery Reformation has a tap room in the same shared space, so you can grab some pretty good grub and local beer at the same time!

• 2 weeks later...

^Glad to hear bout the Scream Machine being open.  Haven't seen it run at ALL this year.  Went today and an empty train was stopped on the lift.

Took my kid today as a reward for doing well for the first week of school.  He's got some behavioral issues so this was actually a pretty big deal.  Got to meet up with a friend, Doug, from the boards and the Mini East Coast trip several years ago.  IT was awesome seeing him and meeting his kids.  Got a few rides with them before heading our separate way.

My kid LOVES water parks, even the one there.  I am  NOT a fan at all :)  He did awesome in school last week for the first week of school, so I took him today and we went to the water park.  Their biggest slide, with the toilet bowl and boomarang wall....they hand you this massive and heavy 4 person raft and have you carry it up 5 flights of stairs.  My 6 year old did his best to help, but my tired old ass did not enjoy it....AT ALL.  Spent the whole walk up hoping I wouldnt die and the whole ride down trying to catch my breath.  Definitely a one and done for us. 

The wave pool must have been on "high" because it was kicking out butts.  Kiddo loved it....me....not so much LOL :)

Dry side was not crowded at all, which was awesome.  Rode Dare Devil Dive with like a 10 minute wait (which is nothing for that.)  Also managed rides on Mindbender, Catwoman, and Blue Ninja Hawk.  One train on Blue Hawk, but the ops were on point and doing a good job and seeming to enjoy themselves - so kudos to them!  

Food service was miserable, as expected, but the food was good and  there was plenty of it so I guess it balances out. 

If he's good again this week, I guess I'll be repeating this next Sunday.  

• Like 4

• 5 weeks later...

Do we have any SFOG locals on this forum anymore?

Has this park been deadsville like SFGAdv (and some of the other Six Flags)?

Also, are there big boy seats on this Batman? I can't for the life of me remember and haven't been down in four years.

Thanks!

17 minutes ago, boldikus said:

Also, are there big boy seats on this Batman? I can't for the life of me remember and haven't been down in four years.

Thanks!

When are you going? Me and my wife fly down to visit this park on the 24th

• Like 1

Not a local but looking to hit this up around Turkey Day. Been once and didn't get to ride everything. Really nice park and I think as scenic as Fiesta. Goliath is my fave over Diamondback and Nitro, love TC. No real reason to post other than looking forward to my next time there. Still need Blue Hawk, Mindbender, and Scream Machine credits. Also nice drop tower you have. Cheers Georgia. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, boldikus said:

Thanks!

Try hitting up @Kyndmusic.  He doesn't post much, but was a big help when I made my inaugural trip there last fall.

3 hours ago, boldikus said:

Thanks!

There are not as many 'locals'  posting here compared to the other parks' pages.  This is likely due to there being a very active Facebook page just for SFoG fans.  Lots of discussion goes on there.  That said - I plan on visiting this (my 'home' park) possibly Sunday, and definitely next weekend when Fright Fest begins.  Park has been very un-crowded all summer.  Keep in mind, SFoG is closed this Saturday the 10th for a private event.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Bamwa said:

Not a local but looking to hit this up around Turkey Day. Been once and didn't get to ride everything. Really nice park and I think as scenic as Fiesta. Goliath is my fave over Diamondback and Nitro, love TC. No real reason to post other than looking forward to my next time there. Still need Blue Hawk, Mindbender, and Scream Machine credits. Also nice drop tower you have. Cheers Georgia. 

If you visit during Thanksgiving week, this will be during "Holiday in the Park".  The section of the park containing Blue Hawk and Scream Machine may be closed off.  If you want those two credits, you might want to get to this park no later than November 12th - this being the final normal weekend of operations before 'Holiday' starts.  Good news is the first two weekends in November should be ultra empty with Fright Fest being over and no festivals taking place.  Good luck!

15 hours ago, boldikus said:

Thanks!

Hey, I am a local. Yes, the park has been dead this summer most of the time. Sorry, I can't answer the Batman seat question but I don't ever remember seeing this.

I don't expect the back of the park to be closed during Holiday is the Park. Especially because they just re-tracked GASM this year.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask me.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the info. I'm not too stressed about it as I've been to this park a few times before. If its not busy maybe I'll give it a shot and see if I fit but Alpengeist a few weeks ago was a verrrry tight squeeze. I managed with some help from friends but I'll be alone this time and I hate having the ride ops have to really work just for me to ride, especially if its something I've ridden already. 

16 hours ago, boldikus said:

Is Acrophobia down down right now?

And does this park still kind-of open the front Cyclone/Scorcher areas a little earlier than the posted opening time?

Acrophobia was open earlier this summer during one of my visits, I think it's closed mainly due to staffing issues.

As for the early opening, yes, during my most recent trip in late August they were doing it.

On 9/11/2022 at 6:10 PM, boldikus said:

Is Acrophobia down down right now?

And does this park still kind-of open the front Cyclone/Scorcher areas a little earlier than the posted opening time?

The park opens the gates 30 minutes prior to the posted time. Cyclone and Scorcher are always open before the rest of the park. I haven't seen Acrophobia running for the last several months.

• Like 1

Managed to take the kiddo on Sunday to ride rides and check out some of the Fright Fest decorations.  He's seen several horror movies (unfortunately) and loves scary stuff.  He really wants to go in the evening when Fright Fest is going on but I'm wary about it.  For a kid, he is absolutely fearless - but he's still just a little guy (he's almost 7.) 

NOTE: - he watched IT and Halloween at his Grandmother's house (not with me,) and loves them.  To the point where his mother got him a Michael Myers birthday cake last year.  I'm raising either a dare devil or a serial killer - I'll keep you all apprised :) 

Have to say, had the best ride on Scream Machine that I've had in YEARS.  I'll still only ride in the front seat - but it reminded me of what it was like when I was a kid in the 80's.  Wooden coaster rough, but not bad and full of airtime.  It was awesome.  

• Like 4
  • Haha 1