TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Georgia (SFOG) Discussion Thread

I visited Atlanta last week to see the Phillies play against the Braves and also went to SFOG last Saturday. It was my first time visiting the park as well my first trip to any Six Flags park besides Great Adventure.

The park really exceeded my expectations. Operations were great with multiple trains on the coasters and fast dispatches. The employees were also great.

I expected my favorite coaster was going to be either Twisted Cyclone or Goliath and while they were fun, my favorite might have been Dare Devil Dive. It was so smooth and I'm always a fan of a coaster with inversions and just a lap bar.

The non coaster ride selection was also great. I liked how there was a train that gave a history of the park and past rides which was good when taking a break from the coasters. Monster Mansion was also very impressive for a Six Flags parks with all the animatronics throughout the ride.

If I am ever back in the Atlanta area, I want to return to the park especially because I missed Mindbender which has been on my coaster bucket list for a while.

• Like 3

On 5/7/2021 at 7:17 PM, Taeshan said:

Thanks. 

follow up I’ve just added a meal pass the better one that can be used at any of them, does anyone know if I must go to my home six flags first to set that up like my pass or can I add that at any of them since unlike cedar fair there doesn’t seem to be an easy option to set it up online. 

Once you purchase a dining pass it is added to your pass instantly.  There should be no need to set it up; you can begin using your DP immediately!

On 5/6/2021 at 7:43 PM, tndank said:

Could fill in some numbers with mountain coasters if it's really important.  Does he have Screamin' Eagle at Fun Spot Atlanta? Or maybe Cannonball at Lake Winnie?

Also, Joker Funhouse is going to be a 50/50 credit.  Plenty of days it doesn't run or valleys.

So thank you very much for the advice. We did stop at Lake Winnie since we were literally driving right by it. He got Cannonball but the wild mouse and wacky worm were closed, so we just sent him in to get his credit and then drove on into Atlanta which ended up working out perfectly for what we were trying to do. I think the lady at the ticket booth was rather annoyed with us, she kept asking if we were going in and didn't seem to get it that we were just waiting while he rode one coaster, lol. This little park could certainly use a lot of love and only about half the rides were open so a $30 charge to get in was kind of bold but it was just a one time stop off for us so whatever.

As far as our SFOG visit. We got incredibly lucky and made it on all 10 operating coasters. Mindbender still closed which is too bad because it looked cool. This was last Saturday so park still requiring full mask usage, moderate enforcement but most people still adhering to the rule. I see that today they have posted no more mask requirements, reservations, or temp checks at the parks now. Crowded day being a weekend and really nice weather, but with the FP upgrade we easily got everything in, coasters and flats that we wanted to. Food lines were not as bad as the last couple SF I have been too but the quality was not good at all. I am really wishing that SF would go back to letting outside sources like Papa Johns, McDonalds, Panda Express sell in the parks but I know they probably won't.

On a side note I had not driven through Atlanta in a number of years and don't think I will ever again with the absolutely ridiculous traffic and number of accidents we had to deal with. Guess I needed a reminder of why I vowed only to fly when going to FL

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, teacherkim said:

On a side note I had not driven through Atlanta in a number of years and don't think I will ever again with the absolutely ridiculous traffic and number of accidents we had to deal with. Guess I needed a reminder of why I vowed only to fly when going to FL

Guess it depends on you frame of reference and time of day/direction.

Atlanta is bad compared to Nashville but isn't half bad compared to NYC or LA.

Just now, TEDodd said:

Guess it depends on you frame of reference and time of day/direction.

Atlanta is bad compared to Nashville but isn't half bad compared to NYC or LA.

Having driven in NYC and LA I would take either of those over Atlanta. Specifically LA, yes they have a lot of volume but people actually no how to drive and are rather courteous believe it or not. But probably not a discussion for these boards ;) 

8 minutes ago, teacherkim said:

Having driven in NYC and LA I would take either of those over Atlanta. Specifically LA, yes they have a lot of volume but people actually no how to drive and are rather courteous believe it or not. But probably not a discussion for these boards ;) 

Having been in the I5 and 405 parking lots more than once (I don't fly to LAX if I can possibly help it) or the same on 295/495 and every other route north from JKF, Atlanta generally isn't bad.

Not that it doesn't have it's moments, especially where 20 meets 75/85.

Thankfully I come in from the west on I20 and avoid all of 75/85 going to SFOG.
But I do have to go downtown often, just not during the week/workday.

So - with the Mask thing being updated....does anyone have any thoughts/predictions on how long the place will be a S*&tshow for?  Went last Sunday (when masks were still being required,) and it was MUCh busier than usual for a Sunday.  I'm assuming that now that the anti-mask brigade folks will get back to the park that it will be a madhouse for a while.  

I'm fine when I go on my own, but I'm usually there with my 5 year old great nephew, which is a completely different experience when it comes to lines, etc.   He's a good kid, but when lines get over 1/2 hour he starts to get restless and grumpy.  That's why I usually take him on Sundays. 

Thoughts? 

David

2 hours ago, coasterbill said:

I expect all theme parks and tourist destinations to be extra packed all summer or longer based on pent-up demand from last year. That's just my guess though.

And it depends on how successful they are at getting employees at the park.

Most businesses are severely short staffed and can't get people to work. Most of the waffle house restaurants here are carry out only because they don't have staff.  A few only have half the tables in use (not the alternate tables capacity limits, a chain blocking one side of the restaurant).

Even the local water park here may not open this season because they can't get people to work at the park. Neither concession nor lifeguards. Normal years they are fully hired for the summer in March.

I agree it's gonna be packed.

but at least at SFOG, there are a number of things that a 5 year old would love to do, and don't often pull really big lines (such as the Carousel, the antique cars on carousel hill) in addition to the stuff that is going to end up having huge lines -   heck, I'd consider Flash Pass so you can skip the line with him for Monster Mansion.  

7 hours ago, TEDodd said:

And it depends on how successful they are at getting employees at the park.

Hopefully they will allow vaccinated employees to ditch their masks too.  That would certainly help.

I just got home from visiting the park on the final day of the (now ceremonial) mask and reservation policies.  Even though masks were still required, about half of guests were not wearing them.  And there was no enforcement.  This does not surprise me though as the park was closed all week and opened today with the very next day having the mandates lifted.

Also of note, the temperature checking equipment at the front gate had already been removed; guests just walk through an empty building.  In all likelihood, this area will be streamlined as the dedicated baggage check area.  The park will also have to create new recorded policy announcements to reflect the change.  (The existing recording still references the mandatory mask policy.)  

I am just happy I no longer have to remember to make reservations.  Although I will probably avoid SFoG for a while with the summer crowds and quarantine-weary guests returning, I will likely be visiting nearby White Water a lot.  And in two weeks, I will be traveling with friends to both Texas SF parks.  

13 hours ago, jackinbox said:

Hopefully they will allow vaccinated employees to ditch their masks too.  That would certainly help.

They already have at many of the parks, it's on SFOG facebook. My son just left for a shift at SFSTl so I will know when he gets home if employees are on the honor system like guests or have to show some sort of proof.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, teacherkim said:

They already have at many of the parks, it's on SFOG facebook. My son just left for a shift at SFSTl so I will know when he gets home if employees are on the honor system like guests or have to show some sort of proof.

Honor system?  Show proof?  Masks aren't required of anyone at SF St Louis (or SFoG).

Look dude, you're being an ass. I don’t care how you feel about masks, and I don't care what you do at a Six Flags park. I do care that you have been actively encouraging people on Six Flags threads to break Six Flags rules. 

When you are invited to someone's house and they ask you to take your shoes off in the mudroom, you don't ask "Is that a requirement or a recommendation?" You're a guest, and you do it just because your hosts invited you.

You know this. Quit being an ass.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, ytterbiumanalyst said:

You're still spreading disinformation. You know damn well that Six Flags wants unvaccinated guests and employees to wear masks.

Recommend is not the same as require.

tndank  is correct.

• Like 4

I said it's what Six Flags wants you to do. That's the definition of "recommend."

This is pointless to argue. The real danger is that someone who doesn't know any better will read the misleading statement and not bring a mask. Now that I've posted their policy, that is no longer a concern.

Geez. Didn't meant to start a s***storm. I realize they are not truly stopping anyone and asking. I was just wondering out loud if employees would be at least required to show anything or sign anything, if for no other reason than liability on the part of the park. The answer, as we all probably assumed, is no. Up to employees to be responsible or not, just like guests. I am not worried he is fully vaccinated, as is our whole family. I am however, a little surprised that so many parks dumped the rule for employees right away. I kind of expected them to make employees wear them a while longer. Not a judgement on whether they should or not, just thought they would.

You're cool, Kim. You didn't start anything. That dude has been going around various Six Flags threads lying and pretending the parks have lifted all mask rules. It's a dumb thing to say, but I guess he's bored or something.

Maybe a bit off topic for this thread, but on topic for your son: Missouri legislature just passed a bill that says businesses aren't liable if people get Covid unless they actively try to give people Covid. With that law in place, it makes sense that the St. Louis park wouldn't bother with anyone proving anything. I have much more to say about Moleg's "Sucks to be you" attitude, but I suppose I ought to just leave it there. 😄

• Like 1

On 5/19/2021 at 1:42 PM, teacherkim said:

So thank you very much for the advice. We did stop at Lake Winnie since we were literally driving right by it. He got Cannonball but the wild mouse and wacky worm were closed, so we just sent him in to get his credit and then drove on into Atlanta which ended up working out perfectly for what we were trying to do. I think the lady at the ticket booth was rather annoyed with us, she kept asking if we were going in and didn't seem to get it that we were just waiting while he rode one coaster, lol. This little park could certainly use a lot of love and only about half the rides were open so a $30 charge to get in was kind of bold but it was just a one time stop off for us so whatever.

That is my home park and I do agree it needs a lot of love. He did not miss anything with the wild mouse being closed. It is insanely rough to the point it can be painful. The $30 for about half the rides may sound absurd but not surprising for them. It always seems like this park has something silly going on. There was the time where you would get a sticker on entry and you had to wear it if you lost yours during the day nothing happened. Then there was the time you could not get in if you were under 21 unless you were with someone at least 21 or you were with a group. I think someone in the military was even denied entrance. They used to also have a special entrance for groups (which is fine) but even though the park opened at 10, they would not open the group entrance until 11.

42 minutes ago, ytterbiumanalyst said:

You're cool, Kim. You didn't start anything. That dude has been going around various Six Flags threads lying and pretending the parks have lifted all mask rules. It's a dumb thing to say, but I guess he's bored or something.

I haven't posted anything that isn't true.  And you continue to have it out for me for some reason.  Each time you post evidence supporting me.  We can disagree here.  But the fact remains, masks are not required of anyone at many Six Flags now.  I have not suggested anyone do anything against park rules.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, teacherkim said:

Geez. Didn't meant to start a s***storm. I realize they are not truly stopping anyone and asking. I was just wondering out loud if employees would be at least required to show anything or sign anything, if for no other reason than liability on the part of the park. The answer, as we all probably assumed, is no. Up to employees to be responsible or not, just like guests. I am not worried he is fully vaccinated, as is our whole family. I am however, a little surprised that so many parks dumped the rule for employees right away. I kind of expected them to make employees wear them a while longer. Not a judgement on whether they should or not, just thought they would.

face it Kim.. you're a troublemaker.

that's why I like hanging out with you 😛

can't wait for 7 weeks from now at Kings Island - we're gonna have a blast!

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, ytterbiumanalyst said:

pretending the parks have lifted all mask rules.

They have lifted the mask rules. Masks are no longer REQUIRED.

They might recommend or even request one but not required like before, entirely voluntary. Pretty simple to understand.

They also stopped the other restrictions, no temperature checks, no reservations (no capacity limits), no distancing. Back to 2019 operations. Well except for allowing masks which I'm certain would not have been allowed before. 

But, while I refused to go to the park while masks were required, you are free to not go now that masks aren't. 

• Like 2