TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Georgia (SFOG) Discussion Thread

Solid work here. Put up the announcement and then miss the first promised reservation time. Have a Six Flags day!

It's up now. I was able to get 11:30 for next saturday. Preferred parking reservstions not working yet.

FYI from the park:

The All-New Gotham City will open June 29. Mindbender will debut in 2021!

2021 for mindmender? ugh. love that coaste.

Look at the bright side...we are getting a coaster in 2021!!!!!

LOL. That is like the Madden video game. Remove a feature one year for it to be an all new feature the next year.

Tell me about it. Very disappointing.

Yesh and if you go to https://m.sixflags.com/overgeorgia/attractions/mind-bender it has it marked as closed for the season. booo.

I was on the fence about making the long trek down to Georgia with the kids this year, as originally planned, but this news seals the deal. My first trip to SFoG will have to wait until 2021! It's not a park I'd regularly go to (I mean, a lifetime of being a coaster enthusiast, and I still haven't been there!), and I don't want to miss out on the classic Mindbender coaster. One less thing to save money for this year. Disappointing to delay yet another year, but not altogether a bad thing for me.

Tell me about it. Very disappointing.

Yesh and if you go to https://m.sixflags.com/overgeorgia/attractions/mind-bender it has it marked as closed for the season. booo.

I was on the fence about making the long trek down to Georgia with the kids this year, as originally planned, but this news seals the deal. My first trip to SFoG will have to wait until 2021! It's not a park I'd regularly go to (I mean, a lifetime of being a coaster enthusiast, and I still haven't been there!), and I don't want to miss out on the classic Mindbender coaster. One less thing to save money for this year. Disappointing to delay yet another year, but not altogether a bad thing for me.

If this is going to be on one time in may many years trip I'd skip this year between mindbender and the currnt reservation, social distancing, masks and all that. It isn't the year for any kind of "once in a lifetime" or "one in a decade" trip to any theme park including places like disney. Just going to be very very different this year. I'm local so I can deal with the changes and if I can only deal with the mask 2 hours and then go home then no big deal. Not the same for people coming from out of town.

as long as Monster Mansion is open? (and Twisted Cyclone & Acrophobia & Goliath)?.. . then a trip to SFOG is worth it.

I'll be in Atlanta for Labor Day weekend, weather Dragon*con happens or not - and let's be honest, there's NO WAY it's happening, even tho they keep saying at the moment, it's still planned.

so I'm expecting to be in town with not much to do. . . so SFOG for the whole weekend, most likely

as long as Monster Mansion is open? (and Twisted Cyclone & Acrophobia & Goliath)?.. . then a trip to SFOG is worth it.

I'll be in Atlanta for Labor Day weekend, weather Dragon*con happens or not - and let's be honest, there's NO WAY it's happening, even tho they keep saying at the moment, it's still planned.

so I'm expecting to be in town with not much to do. . . so SFOG for the whole weekend, most likely

Don't give up on DragonCon just yet. Governor Kemp just announced today more restrictions being lifted and relaxed.

One lifted restriction in particular caught my attention: Live entertainment venues can resume effective July 1st (with guidelines) so there is still hope for Dr. Fright Dead Man's Party for Fright Fest.

It is still June so who knows what may be permissible come Labor Day.

Don't give up on DragonCon just yet. Governor Kemp just announced today more restrictions being lifted and relaxed.

One lifted restriction in particular caught my attention: Live entertainment venues can resume effective July 1st (with guidelines) so there is still hope for Dr. Fright Dead Man's Party for Fright Fest.

It is still June so who knows what may be permissible come Labor Day.

That is assuming cases don't spike with things opening up. Still a long way till Labor Day.

Myself and a buddy decided to be 'lab rats' today, visiting the first Six Flags branded park to open to guests (Frontier City is not a 'flagged' park so it does not count!). As advertised there were numerous changes both physical and procedural to park operations. Yes - masks were required - and I really did not mind wearing one given the circumstances.

One of the very first things out of the box I noticed when pulling in to the parking lot is the grass and weeds growing everywhere. This is plain and simple a symptom of the park being shuttered for three months. But to be fair, the shopping mall near my home has the same grass and weeds in their lot - and they have been open for six weeks now. Parking was in the main lot only and an attendant guided everyone as to where to park. Vehicles were to occupy every other space. (I did not use VIP parking.) And now...I was on my way to the gate!

Things looked very different at the entrance plaza. Part of the ticket booth area on the east plaza was converted into a screening area. Upon entering this area, attendants are making sure all who enter are wearing a mask. There was even a kiosk of masks available at the entrance, both disposable and cloth, for those who arrived sans face covering. There were no DC-themed ones available. (According to park management, cool masks featuring the likes of Joker, Batman, etc, will be available soon.) The next phase was the walk-thru, non-invasive temperature check. I did not even know my temp was being checked. Immediately past that was the metal detector screening. These are not your father's detectors either. These were really nice in that they screen as you walk meaning no more bag checks! From adversity, good things sometimes come, and this is definitely one of them. This will speed up entry now and into the future! (Plans are in the works to add a similar screening area to the west ticket plaza as well.)

As I was leaving the detector area, whom else should I bump into than park President Dale K. himself! He was on hand thanking each and every guest for coming to the park. That was a nice touch. This would be the first of a few times I would chat with him throughout the day. I could tell he was happy to be back 'at the office!'

Next stop was the actual gate entrance. They scanned my membership and I was in. They did not even need to see my reservation; perhaps it was linked to my pass. All these aforementioned steps took only 2-3 minutes; it was fast.

Once inside the park, I was greeted by a ghost town...very few folks walking around. In fact it seemed there were more employees than guests roaming the park. With only 3 1/2 hours available, it was time to get started....

First stop was lunch. I needed to use my dining pass so we went to JB's. There was about a 5 minute wait. After that, we decided to head to Thunder River. It was hot and a water ride was just the thing. The line was not very long but the wait time was about 20 minutes. There was only one party per boat, no matter how many guests. Most boats had 2-4 riders. Basically, no one shared a boat with a stranger. The water gun area was not open, as expected, but the waterfall was on full blast.

Next up was Pandemonium. We used diamond elite STL passes for this ride (we get three of these now with the additional added benefits). Seating was simple - every other seat occupied.

We attempted to ride Goliath but a nearby passing storm scratched those plans. On coasters, every other row is closed and not in use. There are markers on the floor at the queue entrance to each row indicating which rows are in use and which ones were closed. The rows that are open seat single parties only. On B&M coasters, this means 1-4 guests. Again, no one is seated next to a stranger. This was the case on Scorcher.

This was more of an exploratory visit; I did not plan on doing a great deal of riding today. Justice League was closed; we did not even go to Metropolis. Gotham City was still closed with a planned opening in a couple weeks. Mindbender was still missing track as it undergoes a full rehab and a 2021 grand reopening. I can't wait!

There were attendants in the restrooms cleaning and cleaning; I have never seen the restrooms so spotless before. We visited the Freestyle machines a few times. If you have a member cup, thee attendant simply asks what beverage you would like and dispenses it into a paper cup. You can transfer to your member cup (or not). And BTW the Freestyle store near the Crystal Pistol received a full renovation. There were portable hand sinks and sanitizing stations scattered all over the park. (Pro-tip: to make the hand sink dispense water, there is a foot pump at the bottom!) Another surprise: mobile food ordering on the app is operational!

I had additional opportunities to talk to park President Dale. I did ask specifically about masks and water rides. He stated masks were not required while on a water ride. And the wearing of them would not be required inside Hurricane Harbor when they open next week. Visitors to White Water will be required to wear a mask when they enter the park but once inside, they will not be mandatory. The wave pool and lazy river will have some operational changes but will be open.

This was a most interesting visit to say the least. It became readily obvious from the outset the park personnel and staff have been absolutely busting their tails to keep this park clean. Park staff were very friendly and it appeared they were all just glad to be back. These are unprecedented times and the park President and his management team are in daily communication with the state health department and are determined to make this work. At no time during my visit did I feel unsafe.

I really hope that everyone waiting to visit will reserve judgement until they see the park for themselves. I stated months ago that this is Six Flags' chance to rise to the occasion and from what I saw today, they have.

20200615_142325.thumb.jpg.5db060ef7605de6b5e60bb96aeab8bf0.jpg

Social distancing cars!

20200615_142908.thumb.jpg.9f5d86d9cd780e222ba5bf11e7fe61f3.jpg

New signage on the way to the front gate

20200615_142916.thumb.jpg.4289a103fc38c00d98f34caf7208ac92.jpg

Do the SIX!!!

20200615_144115.thumb.jpg.60fe91bc7451ea054050c7e0b7563c03.jpg

All benches marked this way

20200615_144228.thumb.jpg.15f82f95dd4d12dce2831b64f698be71.jpg

New welcome sign paying tribute to all heroes of these times

20200615_145234.thumb.jpg.9d2dc0f47317fd8c3d935501f03487d0.jpg

Nice sign package in the entry area. Hand sanitizer too!

20200615_152830.thumb.jpg.404a84fc5024294a974dd368802b46ee.jpg

Thunder River queue sign

20200615_152920.thumb.jpg.aae8e5663690d97249c8ab97caf24b26.jpg

It seems like the park did some landscaping work waiting for guests to return. The bamboo forest got a trimming

20200615_171301.thumb.jpg.12573826fbeeeada1d678a12a26fbaf6.jpg

This row of seats on Goliath not in use

20200615_180559.thumb.jpg.8649b4a34cf598d9c3ad78e875e9c8bf.jpg

Mindbender in hibernation, awaiting its triumphant return in '21

Great report! I am glad things seem to be going well so far. I hope it is similar at my home Six Flags (Magic Mountain).

I find it interesting that they dispense the drink into a paper cup and allow you to transfer that to your membership cup. Do I even need my membership cup anymore? Can't I just... get the paper cup drink (like at Cedar Fair parks)? What's the point if you have to transfer it anyway - you may as well just drink from that paper cup you're given. Am I missing something?

Great report! I am glad things seem to be going well so far. I hope it is similar at my home Six Flags (Magic Mountain).

I find it interesting that they dispense the drink into a paper cup and allow you to transfer that to your membership cup. Do I even need my membership cup anymore? Can't I just... get the paper cup drink (like at Cedar Fair parks)? What's the point if you have to transfer it anyway - you may as well just drink from that paper cup you're given. Am I missing something?

I had the same question on the bottle.

Do I actually need the bottle or can they scan my membership or pass and see I have a plan that includes them and give me the cup? I'd rather not have to carrry it around all day and put it up on rides if I don't have to (have reservations saturday).

And on a similar note - are they actually selling new bottles to people at this point?

I was at SFoG today. Getting in was a breeze and just like described above. I was one of the first people in the park. It was like having the park to yourself for the first few hours. No lines. I have the season FP and picked it up before they started the rides at noon. I think I only used it once or twice right before I left around 4:30. No lines otherwise. Had a zen ride on GASM and Superman today.

GASM...refurbed trains look nice. Lift hill, drop, and second hill are good now. But, as you turn the corner on the second hill, there's a clear line where it goes from looking nice to looking like rotting wood that has been abandoned for decades. Still rough, and everything after the turnaround is just torture. I'm told it's a 5-year plan to redo the whole thing.

No complaints here. People seem to be trying to wear masks. Security was asking people and letting them know it's required. Ride ops always announced masks were required. I saw Dale out reminding people to wear their mask. Not every nose was covered. Some people would lower them to their chin while in line, during rides, and other places. But it seemed like folks were making a decent effort. It was mid 70s today. When it's mid 80s and above, I suspect compliance will start slipping. Kids seemed to be doing good at wearing them for the most part.

I'm curious to see how this looks in a few weeks when I'm back in the area.

Do I actually need the bottle or can they scan my membership or pass and see I have a plan that includes them and give me the cup? I'd rather not have to carrry it around all day and put it up on rides if I don't have to (have reservations saturday).

And on a similar note - are they actually selling new bottles to people at this point?

I am guessing the paper cups were used to minimize contact points. The attendant wore gloves, and just by having your member cup (or season bottle) the attendant knew you were entitled to free refills. The member drink cup is much easier to tote around the park than a flimsy cup so yes - I transferred my beverage. I did not see a scanning device being used so no - your member ID probably would not work. There was a register for those guests needing to purchase their drinks.

Something I failed to mention in my above report is there is a new option for members to purchase a stainless steel metal member cup for $19.99. These cups do look nice and they are hot/cold so they can also be used for hot chocolate or your favorite warm beverage.

From what I saw, season refill (and daily refill) cups were available and were being sold at dining locations.

I am guessing the paper cups were used to minimize contact points. The attendant wore gloves, and just by having your member cup (or season bottle) the attendant knew you were entitled to free refills. The member drink cup is much easier to tote around the park than a flimsy cup so yes - I transferred my beverage. I did not see a scanning device being used so no - your member ID probably would not work. There was a register for those guests needing to purchase their drinks.

Something I failed to mention in my above report is there is a new option for members to purchase a stainless steel metal member cup for $19.99. These cups do look nice and they are hot/cold so they can also be used for hot chocolate or your favorite warm beverage.

From what I saw, season refill (and daily refill) cups were available and were being sold at dining locations.

Good info and appreciate it. I'd love not to have to carry my cup around but it is what it is.

I normally go solo and will Saturday so I do worry a bit with the one party per row if I'll run into issues boarding the exiting to drop off my cup that people will think I'm not riding and the next group come on in. I've had that happen before all this a few times and it's quite annoying but if I'm the only person in the row makes me wonder if it will be worse. Guess I'll find out Saturday.

Thanks for all the information

One other question. I'm diamond elite and so far don't see any availability to sign up for priority parking. Is that not a thing now? If I try to reserve no dates show as available.

I have not seen VIP reserved parking offered yet but to be quite honest, with the limited capacity you probably will not need it. Only the main (front) lot is in use and even without the preferred parking I was still close to the front.

I did see single riders on coaster rows; they will only seat one party per row at a time. The lines were largely non existent so it should not be a big deal.

I hope you have fun Saturday! Let us know how your day goes